Why is global warming so scary?

It's not that scary but apparently we need some alarmist bullshit to get people on board for environmental conservation, which should be a common sense policy in any case, with or without the doom and gloom world-ending predictions.

Pollution, decrease of animal biodiversity, desertification, the cutting down of forests, these are the sort of things that we should be worried about plenty, regardless of whether the apocalypse is coming for us, or not.

People always enjoy a nice, gloomy prediction of the apocalypse, of icebergs melting, the earth shaking, oceans rising and the heat melting all of the life away, because it enhances their sense of importance. We've had one for every century.

I worry that when some of these predictions don't come to pass, we'll go back to spend as lavishly and as disproportionately as we ever have, now convinced that we've saved the world by cutting down on some carbon dioxide, and by buying some over-priced "green" products. Not a good idea to build up your environmentalist ideology on a potential house of cards.

Last edited:
Is that a concession?

No It was me calling you a right wing moron as polite as i could actually and I am sad that you missed my jab :( . If thats your solution here than you arent even worth further discussion with on this topic as you have proven yourself to be a cartoon character

Then why do they keep bitching instead of just turning the shit down? Must not be as easy as you make it sound..

Oh its as easy as it sounds its just that im not the one with the keys to the lockbox to get in and turn it down you would have to ask mr clean beautiful coal about that

Food security comes from water which is an issue we can actually address today. The spread of disease is linked to warm and cooler temperatures so I'm not sure that is a valid argument. The mass relocation is linked to water and food concerns so you are kind of double dipping by stating that one.

No, food security comes from many things which are negatively impacted by climate change. More frequent droughts are only one aspect of that. The warmth and acidity of the oceans and the effects on fish populations is another massive aspect. Yes, climate change is linked to warmer conditions suitable for tropical diseases and vectors such as ticks and mosquitoes spreading to lattitudes they currently don't inhabit (these both effect food security and are a direct threat to human lives). No, mass relocations will come from rising oceans as well as droughts, famines and increased conflicts (similar to the effects of drought exacerbating the situation in Syria). This is not "double dipping" it's showing the exact concerns from the chain of effects caused by climate change. Which is what you asked for.

Dogs figured out how to play at peoples emotions now we ensure their survival. Man better figure out how to bend the knee and do as the earth says. I dont think there is a compromise here.

Why are you in this thread? You accuse me of being an obscurantist (nice vocab no sarcasm), yet I've shown willingness to discuss the topic. You on the other hand continue to do what you accuse me of.
You're doing what you always do, which is bringing zero knowledge to the discussion, making illogical arguments and standing by them when they have been shown illogical, demanding spoonfeeding by others on every single point of factual relevance, and dancing around the argument as it suits your goal of obscuring it.

If it is the case that climate change is causing water shortages, then the water shortages that are to be dealt with in place must be dealt with like any water shortage. It's self-evident. You conserve the water you have access to, attempt to access more water, determine as best you can what caused the shortage, and adapt your behavior at every scale so as to prevent future shortages according to your understanding. You know this. People in comas know this. Bolded, you are suggesting we not do, though you know better.

it appears the implications of warming waters on Coral Reefs and it's effect on fish/aquatic life in general is the most disastrous aspect potentially

There are parts of the world who's diet consists virtually solely of those products
You left out the melting permafrost unleashing super diseases that will contribute in wiping the world out.

Every thread he's started has been full of people showing him why he's wrong. He's trolling.

Some helpful advice:

Sometimes, it's not about the person you think is a troll, it's sometimes about everyone else reading your conversation that you're willingly having in the public square.

Your approach will lead no one to your cause.

So the ocean levels rise a bit. We'll know ahead of time where and can evacuate those areas.

But everything gets warmer. There's a net energy increase. That means longer warm seasons. Longer farming seasons. More food.

I would bet that in the past, periods of global cooling sucked balls. Who the fuck wanted to live in an ice age?? We were probably at war left and right for the scarce resources and foo. Periods of global warming were probably the most peaceful and thriving periods in human history. Great weather, happy people, longer farming seasons, food and wild game in abundance.

evacuate those areas? permanently? just look at the problems dhaka bangladesh is having right now and tell them sea level rise is no biggie lol. or venice italy. miami.

one concern is that in the past, plant and animal life has generally had time to adapt to slowly changing temps. these have been changing unusually rapidly. some think that plant and animal life will not adapt, and lots will just die.

we're also having issues with water right now due to the green revolution, and population rise. throw in more frequent drought, and the shit will hit the fan in many parts of the world. it already is.

Watch a video about the planet Venus and you will see the problem with run away greenhouse gasses.

You left out the melting permafrost unleashing super diseases that will contribute in wiping the world out.
I didnt say i personally care about this, but i do see why others do

You know where i live, its already one of the hottest and driest inhabitated places in the entire world. How worse could it get haha

We're basically lying to ourselves and fucking up our home so some fucking rich dude can have another jet.

giphy.gif

Edit: ^^^ Rich dude who needs another jet (so that he can fly around the world giveing speeches about global warming)

Last edited:
So the ocean levels rise a bit. We'll know ahead of time where and can evacuate those areas.

But everything gets warmer. There's a net energy increase. That means longer warm seasons. Longer farming seasons. More food.

I would bet that in the past, periods of global cooling sucked balls. Who the fuck wanted to live in an ice age?? We were probably at war left and right for the scarce resources and foo. Periods of global warming were probably the most peaceful and thriving periods in human history. Great weather, happy people, longer farming seasons, food and wild game in abundance.

STUPID FUCKING IDIOT

Watch a video about the planet Venus and you will see the problem with run away greenhouse gasses.

Do you think we can stop planetary evolution? I believe that is the outcome for all the planets, one way or another.

Some helpful advice:

Sometimes, it's not about the person you think is a troll, it's sometimes about everyone else reading your conversation that you're willingly having in the public square.

Your approach will lead no one to your cause.

My cause is swearing at a dedicated troll. Anyone who has read his threads will join in. All I need to do is wait

images

Once global cooling starts ramping up, the future generations will think we were retards for not warming the globe more.

Because billions live on coast lines.
You're talking about relocation of ALL coastal cities.
Yeah, relocation of ALL coastal cities sucks, but it seems inevitable.

So, let's suck it up, deal with it, and plan for what comes next instead of spending all our energy trying to delay it by like 20 years.

Do you know of a way to stop it or just plans to delay it by like 20 years or some bullshit like that?

If we can only delay it then our energy is better spent on planning how to relocate people, build new cities, and move industries more inland.

Delaying it by 20 years just to pass the hot potato on to our grandchildren is selfish horseshit.

Back