Why is global warming so scary?

Lol at thinking that will reverse the predictions that have been made
Predictions are based on information gained through observation.....
Like, how information we know about the rotation of the planet and the orbit around the sun, we can accurately predict when and where the sun will rise.

Similarly, but to a more complex degree, we gather information about the climate through observation, and can make accurate predictions about the future.

Stop putting your head in the sand, acknowledge the problem and help humanity face this crisis instead of contributing towards it. We need all hands on deck as this is the greatest problem our species has yet faced. It may very well be the great filter talked about in the fermi paradox; the roadblock intelligent species face that prevents them from becoming an interstellar species.

There is still a lot of ice in the st. Mary's river, especially above the soo locks making ship navigation problematic. There should not be this much ice this time of year... It was a brutal winter on the Great Lakes. Didnt feel a bit of the warming....

550.jpg

Predictions are based on information gained through observation.....
Like, how information we know about the rotation of the planet and the orbit around the sun, we can accurately predict when and where the sun will rise.

Similarly, but to a more complex degree, we gather information about the climate through observation, and can make accurate predictions about the future.

But the doomsday predictions made by the previous "experts" proved to be utter nonsense.

Stop putting your head in the sand, acknowledge the problem and help humanity face this crisis instead of contributing towards it. We need all hands on deck as this is the greatest problem our species has yet faced. It may very well be the great filter talked about in the fermi paradox; the roadblock intelligent species face that prevents them from becoming an interstellar species.

What unique problem is best solved by attempting to control earths climate rather then a more direct line to adaptation?

You want me to stop because you got fuck all to say. The same issues we are crying about today were survived 10k years ago by humans...

These are not the same issues and the reason I want you to stop is because your arguments are very poorly educated.

So fossil fuels are the problem but we aren't going to get rid of them? The argument seems even more wacky then I originally thought

So you can't read? You're claiming that we have to lose the benefits if we want to cut emissions and I explained that's not true so you pull this bogus argument?

So you're telling me that improving car emission standards, implementing a carbon tax, and encouraging investment into solar and wind will completely stop global warming? Are you fucking serious or trolling?

Or will it just delay it by like 20 years?

We're talking civilization level consequences here. What does it matter if it happens in 2070 or 2090 or 2200 when we're talking entire coasts flooded?? Our energy should be spent on evacuating the coasts and relocating all their industries and trade further inland instead of delaying the inevitable.
Dude, learn how to speak to other people like an adult. The conversations will go so much better.

I have not read that people are sounding the alarms and believe we should be evacuating coastal areas, but that is a future outcome if we don't change course (some scientists do argue it's inevitable at this point).

I was simply providing some of the suggested recommendations that would dramatically reduce carbon emissions without large downsides. If you want to argue they don't go far and have different suggestions please feel free to share them. But maybe in not such an assholish style?

I mean, beyond the presumable extinction of the human race due to widespread ecological collapse?

Those "cycles" where the earth was hotter? We weren't around then. Our food sources weren't adapted for that sort of environment. Our current living spaces might not exist in that environment. We're basically lying to ourselves and fucking up our home so some fucking rich dude can have another jet.
Because billions live on coast lines.
You're talking about relocation of ALL coastal cities.
I'm just waiting for those folks who live in their 10+ million dollar homes to vacate. For some reason, the Filthy rich by the beach dont seem all that concerned about global warming......... Algore bought a house in Montecito post global warming awareness......

Refute your point about "global cooling"? Ahahahahahahaha
<Kpop775>
Before looking like the inevitable idiot you are, try doing a tad bit of research:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globa...Ice_cores_(from_800,000_years_before_present)

400px-EPICA_temperature_plot.svg.png

What do you think happens when we hit the peak, and things start going downwards (as the Earth's natural temperature cycle tends to do)? When global temperature falls 15 degrees celsius? Less food (due to less farmable land, less animals, etc.), humans are forced towards the equator (as northern parts of the world will become uninhabitable), less manufacturing, less mining, less drilling, etc. With our currently overpopulated status, we'll have more people in less space with less food and less resources.

There's a reason the places with the most abundance of life are centered nearer the equator than not.

We'll run out of fossil fuels to burn long before we ever out-heat the Earth's natural cycle, and that's assuming that fossil fuels stay in the Earth's atmosphere forever and we also never find a way to deal with them.

Even if we assume the worst (fossil fuels stay in the atmosphere forever), we will still eventually burn all fossil fuels since they aren't a renewable resource and eliminating them entirely simply wont happen, so the outcome will be the same. And if we assume they dissipate from the atmosphere over time, then it doesn't matter in the long run.

But I suppose Hollywood has made you think that we'll be swimming in lava lakes all over the world if global warming continues.

Last edited:
These are not the same issues and the reason I want you to stop is because your arguments are very poorly educated.

So you can't read? You're claiming that we have to lose the benefits if we want to cut emissions and I explained that's not true so you pull this bogus argument?

What type of power even comes close to replacing fossil fuels? Wind? Solar?

Before looking like the inevitable idiot you are, try doing a tad bit of research:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globa...Ice_cores_(from_800,000_years_before_present)

400px-EPICA_temperature_plot.svg.png

What do you think happens when we hit the peak, and things start going downwards (as the Earth's natural temperature cycle tends to do)? When global temperature falls 15 degrees celsius? Less food (due to less farmable land, less animals, etc.), humans are forced towards the equator (as northern parts of the world will become uninhabitable), less manufacturing, less mining, less drilling, etc. With our currently overpopulated status, we'll have more people in less space with less food and less resources.

There's a reason the places with the most abundance of life are centered nearer the equator than not.

We'll run out of fossil fuels to burn long before we ever out-heat the Earth's natural cycle, and that's assuming that fossil fuels stay in the Earth's atmosphere forever and we also never find a way to deal with them.

Even if we assume the worst (fossil fuels stay in the atmosphere forever), we will still eventually burn all fossil fuels since they aren't a renewable resource and eliminating them entirely simply wont happen, so the outcome will be the same. And if we assume they dissipate from the atmosphere over time, then it doesn't matter in the long run.

But I suppose Hollywood has made you think that we'll be swimming in lava lakes all over the world if global warming continues.
You need to get an education. Like, a real education. Not a PhD in YouTube and wikipedia. I feel bad for you.

It is, and will not be in the future, as catastrophic and we have been led to believe. Plenty of islands that we've been told will end up being submerged are actually doing the reverse or staying the same.
The Great Barrier Reef is repairing itself as far as all the nasty bleaching, it's something it's always done throughout it's history.
We were told over a decade ago by 'experts' that we would have next to no water left in our dams by now, in reality they are so full water has to be let out!
We were also told that by now we would be getting acid-rain, we are not!

The mass media will not tell you these things of course, governments are far too committed financially. The severity of global warming is nowhere near as bad as we are being told. Look at all the views on the subject and then have a good think about it, there are plenty of really good books around written by experts who back this up, and more are joining 'the other side.'
Unfortunately there are many scientists that believe it is not as bad as we've been told but are afraid to speak up. The ones that do are ridiculed, abused, and often receive death-threats by the left. They are often ostracised and many don't wish to put their jobs and reputations on the line.

Ocean acidification is way worse than climate change, and caused by the same thing.

Back