Why in the hell can't celebrities name their kids a normal friggin' name?

Had a Korean friend with the last name Onn. He said if he had a son, he was gonna name him Turner. So far no children.

Most celebrities are snowflakes

Not just celebrities....African Americans do it too and have some stupid ideas of what is acceptable as names: oh how about after a German car like Porsche or Mercedes. Or a Japanese car Lexus or Infiniti. (I have known each). I was teasing this dude at work whose wife named their daughter "Dasani" after the water. I said dude "That's not even spring water"
I hope you are bullshitting about that Dasani

It broadcasts a persons need for attention and like other attention grabbing conventions and attempts towards individuality it identifies the person as being just like all the others.

Moon Unit Zapper changed his name I think. You don't need to hand kids ammunition, they will take the piss regardless.

I have an unusual name, Irish and it's a challenge for English fuckwits to pronounce. A lifetime of having to spell out my name and hold a brief lesson on pronunciation led me to name my children well understood names. Boy called Sue and all that.
Yup - I always have to clarify my name. My kid has a one syllable familiar name, not some shit no one has heard of before.

I like unique names, but there's a difference between not common and off the f'n wall

For example, my entire family has relatively odd names, mine is Hunter (which for a guy in his 30s is not common at all like it is for young kids), my brother is Garrett, my dad is Tyrone, and my son is Deacon. I tried to name him Ronan but that was a bit too crazy for the wife

not that I'm implying anything is wrong w/ John, or Sam, or James etc.... just I always liked uncommon names.

But I knew a kid in college named Solmar, that had brothers named Paragrynn and Blueray (before the actual movie format came out, seriously wtf). That's over the top IMO

Every name was new at some point. The real distinction here is cool creative names vs. dumb shit.

Why do you think actors assume catchier stage names? To make themselves more marketable. Is normal for Hollywood. Why bother with a fake stage name when you can have a distinctive legal name with that Hollywood flair.

Hollywood Flair, now that would be a good legal name.

They're still better than some Native American names. I knew a lady whose last name was Prettyontop and that's not even that embarrassing as far as Native American names goes...

The real distinction here is cool creative names vs. dumb shit.

This is how I feel about it. I think everyone should name their kids something with some meaning behind it. If you name your kid Lexus because you like that brand of car that's just.... well, I'll not be mean. Or what would be worse, but hilariously awesome, would be if you named your kid Lexus because that was the kind of car they were conceived in. My point is, put some thought into your Childrens names. They'll have them for the rest of their lives. "Mommy, why did you and daddy name me John". "I don't know. Just seemed like a good 'normal' name".

My kids are named Nagual, Ohkwari, and Soyala, and each one has special meaning to me and the Wife.

"....an ordinary name like Caroline can lead people to have ordinary expectations about a person."

Weird side question: When did we start naming each other??

They're still better than some Native American names. I knew a lady whose last name was Prettyontop and that's not even that embarrassing as far as Native American names goes...
I was actually locked up with someone whose last name was HowlingWolf...I thought it was badass

They're better than you, that's why. Their childrens' names should and do reflect that. These people know how to stand in front of a camera and act like someone else while reciting dialogue they read. These are the kinds of people the world values.

Back