Why don't men use the head and arm throw?

Cool. 2005 for me, so its definitely still there

Everything in that area has changed so much...you never know if schools have consolidated. I haven't been in that area since I briefly lived in Michigan (New Baltimore area) back in the early 90s.

There's a way to prevent that after you complete the throw [jumping to the other side, which is what Ronda often did].

Josh Barnett choked out Dean Lister in a grappling match without even correcting position.

True, thats basic Judo. and You have to practice that base after the throw is complete.

So why do so many posters on here keep saying how highlevel and technical they are?

Lol, is this a poorly disguised women hateing thread tall guy?

What ever helps ease the pain of being constantly rejected despite your height I suppose.

Because when you aren't really effective with it, it's relative easy to counter. And you end up in a worse position. So most fighters will ditch it for more effective moves. Some have been using it with success.

It's used alot in WMMA but not many of them are really good with it.

Josh Barnett choked out Dean Lister in a grappling match without even correcting position.
Such an impressive showing from Barnett in that one by the way. There's not a whole lot of guys out there who can choke people out from Kesa-Gatame, much less Lister who had never been subbed in competition before. It's a chest compression choke though, so having enough body weight to back it up is kind of a prerequisite to pull it off.

As an additional anecdote regarding that particular choke, Alexey Oleynik also tapped Cro Cop with it a few years back. It's listed as a neck crank on his record, but nope, definitely the same choke.

Time stamped to the finish:

I love that choke honestly. The concept of putting a crushing amount of weight on top of someone's lungs so the lungs literally don't have room to function, leading to a slow suffocation... brutal.

You think that is what is being spoken about ITT?
I had an urge to say how that's not even close to a head-and-arm throw, but you did it for me. Kudos.

Last edited:
zMfbTZU.gif
You think that is what is being spoken about ITT?

Women have a lower centre of gravity making upper body throws much more effective.

The chair experiment demonstrates this.

Last edited:
I love that choke honestly. The concept of putting a crushing amount of weight on top of someone's lungs so the lungs literally don't have room to function, leading to a slow suffocation... brutal.

It's actually not attacking or crushing the lungs, that choke shuts off the diaphragm, so it can't contract. When done right, it should not be a slow suffocation, it's pretty immediate. The lungs have capacity, but there is no air going in. Like drowning. And yeah I agree it's friggin awesome. Barnett hitting that choke on Lister in the last few seconds of their match was simply incredible.

Same reason nobody is able to submit all their opponents with an armbar in the first round.

Take it from someone who wrestled his whole life, it's a C-level move that is easily reversible. And when you do it, you're also giving up your back. I've seen good fights hit it before though, Cub Swanson really loves the head and arm throw. It's extremely easy to counter however. That's why its so common in WMMA, the wrestling in WMMA is still subpar.

Lombard and Karlo throw them and Jones now and then

No they don't, those guys you mentioned usually have an underhook and an overhook on the otherside. It's the same motion as a head and arm throw but the difference is that it's a bit harder to get and takes more skill to pull off.

So why do so many posters on here keep saying how highlevel and technical they are?

I have a friend who is a purple belt in BJJ & has some MMA fights that once said that Ronda Rousey is the best grappler in all of MMA. I think maybe some people think that if they have negatively criticize WMMA that they will be labeled a misogynist.

Back