Why do we allow primitive tribes to still exist ?

There are primitive tribes that don't vaccinate their kids, eat human brains, sacrifice people to altars, etc. They were all raised by their parents to believe that non-sense.

North Koreans raise their kids to believe Kim Jung-Un is a god. Totally fine right? It's their right to indoctrinate their own children.

What if some parents decide to make their child a sex slave at a young age. Hell they have the right to do it, because parents always know best.

Primitive tribes are not better, or good in a different way. They are worse, much worse. Sure the western system has some pitfalls, but it is objectively better than any other way of life, by any way you define quality of life.

You know best right? This is the modern liberal.

There's a reason they want nothing to do with us, and that reason is that they don't have any interest in our way of life. They have a right to the planet just as much as we do, especially since they do so much less damage to it than we do.

In terms of self-sufficiency it has even a lot to do with the lifestyles of native tribes.

No it doesn't because tribes delegate specific tasks to certain members of their group depending on their capabilities and social status.

The sufficiency of an individual is quite different than the sufficiency of a group.

No it doesn't because tribes delegate specific tasks to certain members of their group depending on their capabilities and social status.

The sufficiency of an individual is quite different than the sufficiency of a group.
Are you sure that this doesn't depend on the specific tribe in terms of size and culture?

Are you sure that this doesn't depend on the specific tribe in terms of size and culture?

Just look at your family household and see how work, chores, and tasks are delegated.

How often did your mom mow the lawn? In my entire life I've only seen a female mow a lawn once and that was a single mom with young children. Then a neighbor saw it and volunteered to cut her grass for free.

Saw this and wondered what sherdog thinks. This guy makes the argument that it is inhumane to allow these primitive tribes like the Sentinelese to live their lives the way they do are cause we have meds and tech that could better them to live longer.

http://www.ted.com/conversations/10166/why_do_we_allow_primitive_trib.html

prime-directive.jpg

Just look at your family household and see how work, chores, and tasks are delegated.

How often did your mom mow the lawn? In my entire life I've only seen a female mow a lawn once and that was a single mom with young children. Then a neighbor saw it and volunteered to cut her grass for free.
Actually my mother mowed the lawn 80% of the time, since she only worked part-time while my dad worked fulltime. The other 20% was my grandpa taking care of gardening stuff.

It wouldn't matter anyway though, since i don't see how you can compare a household in an industrial society to a tribe and reliably transfer principles of social structures from there.

Is the Theodore Kacyzinkski you are referring to the Una-bomber?

If so, why should he be considered an expert in anthropology when he was a mathematician?

I do think making clothes could be time consuming, but that would depend on the area. For example, the Inuits probably need a good deal of time to fashion cold weather clothing, but warm weather tribes who wear less clothing and rather simple clothing at that probably do not need a lot of time.

Additionally I would think leather based clothing, like the type the Inuit wear, would have an incredible lifetime, perhaps being passed down through generations. I don't think they are fashioning clothes all of the time.

I just looked up my sources, so i'll just share a quote from his book here:

Time spent working
A good general discussion of this is by Elizabeth Cashdan, Hunters and Gatherers: Economic Behaviour in Bands, in Stuart Plattner (editor), Economic Anthropology, Stanford University Press, 1989, pages 21–48. Cashdan discusses a study by Richard Lee, who found that a certain group of Kung Bushmen worked a little more that forty hours per week. And she points out on pages 24–25 that there was evidence that Lees study was made at a time of year when the Kung worked least, and they may have worked a great deal more at other times of year. She points out on page 26 that Lee’s study did not include time spent on care of children. And on pages 24–25 she mentions other hunter-gatherers who worked longer hours than the Bushmen studied by Lee. Forty hours per week is probably a minimum estimate of the working time of fully nomadic hunter-gatherers. Gontran de Poncins, Kabloona (cited earlier), page 111, stated that the Eskimos with whom he lived toiled fifteen hours a day. He probably did not mean that they worked fifteen hours every day, but it is clear from his book that his Eskimos worked plenty hard. Among the Mbuti pygmies who use nets to hunt, “Netmaking is virtually a full-time occupation […] in which both men and women indulge whenever they have both the spare time and the inclination.” Turnbull, Forest People, page 131. Among the Siriono, the men hunted, on average, every other day. Holmberg, pages 75–76. They started at daybreak and returned to camp typically between four and six o’clock in the afternoon. Holmberg, pages 100–101. This makes on average at least eleven hours of hunting, and at three and a half days a week it comes to an average of 38 hours of hunting per week, at the least. Since the men also did a significant amount of work on days when they did not hunt (pages 76, 100), their work week, averaged over the year, had to be far more than forty hours. Actually, Holmberg estimated that the Siriono spent about half their waking time in hunting and foraging (page 222), which would mean about 56 hours a week in these activities alone. With other work included, the work week would have had to be well over sixty hours. The Siriono woman “enjoys even less respite from labor than her husband,” and “the obligation of bringing her children to maturity leaves little time for rest.” Holmberg, page 224. For other information indicating how hard the Siriono had to work, see pages 87, 107, 157, 213, 220, 223, 246, 248–49, 254, 268.

Actually my mother mowed the lawn 80% of the time, since she only worked part-time while my dad worked fulltime. The other 20% was my grandpa taking care of gardening stuff.

It wouldn't matter anyway though, since i don't see how you can compare a household in an industrial society to a tribe and reliably transfer principles of social structures from there.

No offense dude but youre being retarded. I suggest you pick up a book on anthropology instead of just relying on the unibummer.

Also, since your mom mowed the lawn, your grandpa did the gardening, and your dad brought home the bacon - tasks were still delegated.

Last edited:
No offense dude but youre being retarded. I suggest you pick up a book on anthropology instead of just relying on the unibummer.

Also, since your mom mowed the lawn, your grandpa did the gardening, and your dad brought home the bacon - tasks were still delegated.
1. Saying no offense doesn't make calling me a retard any less offensive.

2. The "unibummer" referenced several scientific works

3. Your example doesn't hold up, since i don't see how you can compare a household in an industrial society to a tribe and reliably transfer principles of social structures from there.

It's for the best that they stay as they are. Can you imagine trying to integrate into society some 40-year old tribesman who has been hunting stuff with bows in the jungle for the last 30 years? You'd be destroying his world, his status in society, his meaning in life, confusing the shit out of him, etc.

A good idea would be trade though. You "trade" medecine for instance, and the tribe gives you cool stuff in return that you can resell to hippies in novelty stores. The tribes' basic lifestyle remains unchanged, except + medicine.

The big question is "Do they have oil?"

Here's a new idea: We should turn their village into a reality show.

Primitive to Present.

We take these people and give them make overs. We let them live and work in our world for a while. Then they get to choose if they go back to their primitive lives or move to the present.

It would be interesting to see their reactions to the breast augmentations.
Not exactly what you had in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back