Why do we allow primitive tribes to still exist ?

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Saw this and wondered what sherdog thinks. This guy makes the argument that it is inhumane to allow these primitive tribes like the Sentinelese to live their lives the way they do are cause we have meds and tech that could better them to live longer.

I think this is extremely uncivilized and inhumaneness that we still allow primitive tribes to exist in in the 21 century. Do we not help them under the pretext that '' they are happy that way'' ? But this would be the same as saying lets give candies to a baby and allow him to eat sugar as much as he likes because he is happy that way ? Or, lets allow babies to run around naked in the cold because he is happy that way ? Of course he is feeling happy, a uneducated baby doesn't care about illness and stuff like that. It is our responsibility to protect and educate our children right ? I see the same thing with the tribes. We should bring them to our cities and educate them, and if after that they still want to go back to the jungle and hunt fish, then it would be their freedom or choice. But i guarantee you they would not go back to the jungle, as they will be educated. It is our obligation as humans to bring them our of the primitive environment they are living in, and educate them, help them learn and become civilized, and only then they would have more tools of making decisions. I can't believe we are allowing primitive tribes to still exists.. This is like giving a birth a child and then leave it in the jungle and watch him grow because he LOOKS happy. What the hell ? This extremely inhumaneness act and should rethink our actions immediately.

http://www.ted.com/conversations/10166/why_do_we_allow_primitive_trib.html

Last edited:
I say if they look for help we help them. If they don't let them be. I would imagine the older ones would be resistant to change

I think that it is wrong to force these primitive tribes into modern society. I think it's arrogant to assume that we live a better life. Sure, we have certain comforts, we have better medicine, etc, but that doesn't mean that our lives are truly better.

This is a bad argument. Leave them alone.

Ts you should read the novel things fall apart

Well, there's the whole issue that uncontacted (or little contacted) primitive tribes would likely be devastated by disease if exposed to modern society. If no threat is posed by the Tribes, which is highly unlikely, I see no reason to 'force' them into society against their will.

Even in the US you have groups like the Amish that exist somewhat independently from modern society without issue.

They could have WMD's so we should invade them imo.

Some people take cultural relativism too far, but I don't think you can force these guys to live like us. However I can happily say that our culture is superior to theirs.

Pre-Neolithic, good lord.

Stone Age tribe kills fishermen who strayed on to island
One of the world's last Stone Age tribes has murdered two fishermen whose boat drifted on to a desert island in the Indian Ocean.

The Sentinelese are believed to be the last pre-Neolithic tribe in the world to remain isolated and appear to have survived the 2004 Asian tsunami.

The Sentinelese, thought to number between 50 and 200, have rebuffed all contact with the modern world, firing a shower of arrows at anyone who comes within range.

They are believed to be the last pre-Neolithic tribe in the world to remain isolated and appear to have survived the 2004 Asian tsunami.

Geez. TS is the type of liberal who would run up to a Muslim, rip off their hijab and shout "I'm freeing you"!

Get off your high horse bud

they should be left alone. In addition, it would be quite dangerous for them since they haven't built up immunities compared to the rest of civilization.

These people are probably free on a level that most modern people can't even comprehend. No landlord, no cops, no government, no taxes, etc. I almost envy them if not for the fact they still think its 10,000 B.C.

Back