Why do so many people in bjj not lift weights

in your opinion, between lifting weights and intense drilling what would be more beneficial to the casual practitioner? From what I experienced in my years of grapping, it is intense drilling. However, i would love to hear what you think.
Drilling all day. I would say a guy who drills 3x a week has a serious advantage over a guy who drills 2x and lifts 2x. When you are talking casuals and hobbyists, technique is king.

Running however the same conditioning benefits can be achieved through grappling.

As far as cardio goes I just run a ton and hike (have no choice contractually obligated lol)

I would imagine rolling continuously is the best for grappling cardio

Only 24 hours in a day, you want to get good at bjj, or good at lifting weights?

Can't believe there are so many that still put this kind of value on lifting weights. Yes the +'s of weightlifting are obvious, but there is a big difference between pushing a weighed bar around and pushing a resisting opponent around.

Shit, interval runs are better use of your time if your time outside of bjj is going to be used to help improve your bjj.

Disclaimer: I'm not shitting on weights, I actually lift 2-3 days a week myself if I'm not in a fight camp, but lifting weights is in no way shape or form a priority for optimal grappling preformance.

For optimal grappling performance it most certainly is a priority.

For a hobbyist training for fun or sense of accomplishment (semi-competitive) though, obviously not.

Personally, i think it's a good thing to do some heavy lifting once a week or so in any case though, whatever lifestyle one might have, for health and resilience/injury prevention purposes.

Last edited:
What training program do you follow for grappling?
Why are people obsessed with ropes?
I prefer chains but chains are not good for hypertrophy since the movement that rips most muscle fibers is when the muscle is extended whereas chains give maximum load when the muscle is contracted. I think ropes are part of the mma hipster movement, you get good shoulder striations though.

For grappling you should dead lift it's the most important exercise. Just dead lift all day and don't use those fancy straps you need true grip power.<45>

As far as grip goes sometimes you shouldn't use the thumb, when you use the thumbs you engage your biceps so some pulling exercises should be done without the thumbs.

ropes are more of a cardio tool rather than a strength training tool.

honestly between lifting two times a week, cardio two times a week, and drilling two times a week. I would rank them

drilling
cardio
lifting

For optimal grappling performance it most certainly is a priority.

For a hobbyist training for fun or sense of accomplishment (semi-competitive) though, obviously not.

Personally, i think it's a good thing to do some heavy lifting once a week or so in any case though, whatever lifestyle one might have, for health and resilience/injury prevention purposes.

I have to disagree with your first statement. While there are plenty of grapplers and fighters that use weights, even during a camp, there are also plenty of fighters and grapplers that don't lift weights.

I have to disagree with your first statement. While there are plenty of grapplers and fighters that use weights, even during a camp, there are also plenty of fighters and grapplers that don't lift weights.

Yes there are plenty, and they could be even better with a well planned training regime.

How much do you spend on food and supplements and/or roids if you do both drilling and lifting?

honestly between lifting two times a week, cardio two times a week, and drilling two times a week. I would rank them

drilling
cardio
lifting

This. I often explain it this way ... how often during a tournament match do you wish ‘if only I were stronger’? And how often do you wish ‘if only I had more cardio gas’?

For me, the respective answers are (a) not even once and (b) almost every match.

This. I often explain it this way ... how often during a tournament match do you wish ‘if only I were stronger’? And how often do you wish ‘if only I had more cardio gas’?

For me, the respective answers are (a) not even once and (b) almost every match.

I often wish I was a ultra heavyweight not some lanky middle heavy weight. Being stronger than somone is not everything.

one is not better than the other for everybody.
If you have trouble with cardio do more cardio, if you have trouble with strength lift more, attack whatever is holding back your grappling while still getting better.

In bjj you get allot of cardio as is, if you're grappling hard running won't give you another type of cardio that's not achievable through grappling.
you def won't get that strength gain as fast or safe when grappling when compared to progressively overloading with weights.

In a perfect world you do both, if you can only do one find the one that would benefit your game/style the most.
Strong squat? Easier to stand in guard.
Strong deadlift? Harder to break posture.
Strong Turkish getup? Harder to hold down.
Running however the same conditioning benefits can be achieved through grappling.

This is just so wrong on so many levels. How long have you been training?

you can only train so much in one week, your body has limits, and you have limited training time, so you're better off doing nothing but bjj
a guy who lifts 2x a week and grapples 2x a week will make less progress than a guy who grapples 4x a week
here's the unpopular part: steroids greatly increase your available training time while also giving you muscle and physique gains better than what lifting could give you
you can effectively get on a cycle, train every single day for hours, not even lift weights, make tremendous technical progress while still developing a great physique from the juice
from a purely pragmatic perspective, roids + as much BJJ as you can and no lifting will give you the best results of any approach
I'm not encouraging roid use or anything though, and don't use myself

people ITT are missing one very obvious advantage which is you will probably be a lot hotter when you lift thus improving your life

No idea, but i see a lot of people getting injured from crap that wont even faze someone with a modicum of proper strength.

I lift not to become better at grappling, i lift to avoid injury.

you can only train so much in one week, your body has limits, and you have limited training time, so you're better off doing nothing but bjj
a guy who lifts 2x a week and grapples 2x a week will make less progress than a guy who grapples 4x a week
here's the unpopular part: steroids greatly increase your available training time while also giving you muscle and physique gains better than what lifting could give you
you can effectively get on a cycle, train every single day for hours, not even lift weights, make tremendous technical progress while still developing a great physique from the juice
from a purely pragmatic perspective, roids + as much BJJ as you can and no lifting will give you the best results of any approach
I'm not encouraging roid use or anything though, and don't use myself

Until your clear muscle imbalances gets you badly injured and you are now on the sidelines with an enlarged ticking time bomb called your heart.

Drilling all day. I would say a guy who drills 3x a week has a serious advantage over a guy who drills 2x and lifts 2x. When you are talking casuals and hobbyists, technique is king.

Short term, yes. But what happens when that guy who lifts twice a week starts doing BJJ 3 times a week after spending 6-12 months getting strong?

Or when he starts using that work capacity he built with the extra strength training to train more than the first guy?

This is just so wrong on so many levels. How long have you been training?
What parts wrong in your opinion?

Grappling more is better to build stamina for grappling compared to running...right

Progressively overloading with weights is far more effective and safe to build strength than using humans..right

A strong squat will definitely make it easier for you to stand in guard theres absolutely no debate.

And strong deadlift will absolutely make it harder to get your posture broken

And strong Turkish getup will absolutely improve your scrambling ability making it eaiser to get up.

Running does not include the same lactic acid buildup that grappling does, it's great to get the heart rate going but it's not as good as actually grappling, that's a given.

Im sure At the very least you have never rolled with a high level lifter so you don't have much experience with this topic, my friend is a capital city barbell competitor at 83kg over 500lbs deadlift, no real grappling background and he's virtually impossible to pull down and break posture, traingle ect, having that type of strength and resilience is a massive tool in the right hands.
So for someone on sherdog to claim that's not a direct benefit to being able to mantain a straight posture while holding 500lbs (when that's litterally all he does, sounds delusional, and I can't take you serious on that note.
Yes technique is key, but lifts like the three mentioned above can directly benefit your game, there's no debate.

Thanks guys. My aerobic base was pretty poor, owing to the fact that I basically only grappled regularly and lifted occasionally. My RHR was in the 50s, so it wasn't terrible, but LSD was never a part of my training. So that is definitely something I am working on now. I have a spin bike and I'm working up to 45-60 min at least every other day.

I'm doing squats with just the bar now, to focus on core stability, as well as pushups and pullups. But I'm kind of doing it willy nilly and not focusing on reps the way I would if I were lifting. That's why I'm looking for a routine of sorts - I like the 50/20, and use that for two exercises.

PRobodx needs a bunch of equipment, so I'm prob not going that way.
I found that post in one of your threads you made a long time ago...
Looks like you didn't learn from your mistakes
The video of you squating also shows how imobile you are in that position, tight hamstrings and hips, recipe for lower back problems.
Being imobile by default makes you allot weaker your muslces aren't working together.
Imagine if you could squat 150lbs more than 215 without your lower back rounding, with your skill you would be better, and less inury prone, stronger and more balanced in that position.
Pretty much what I been saying this whole thread and you're argueing against it, when you yourself have inurys and imobilty issues.
Ironic tbh.

Until your clear muscle imbalances gets you badly injured and you are now on the sidelines with an enlarged ticking time bomb called your heart.
Na bro just roll all day, be injury prone and imobile
No idea, but i see a lot of people getting injured from crap that wont even faze someone with a modicum of proper strength.

I lift not to become better at grappling, i lift to avoid injury.
Exactly that indirectly makes you a better grappler, it's training optimally.

Last edited:
Back