Why do so many people in bjj not lift weights

Lmao the narrative has never changed, the thread highlights ALL the benefits of lifting and that does include being able to explode out or in a position.
Also the fact that it will make you less injury prone, and mobile.
All of the above is true there's no need to cry anymore.
Litterally from the first two pages
So What argument are you even making?
My whole point Is that strength gained through lifting weights is applicable to bjj and grappling in general.
My original post litterally says you should grapple first and strength and conditioning as a strong secondary so what words are you trying to put in my mouth.
But I guess you didn't even read it considering you say my gym is "lift or die" when my og post also says ''3:1 ratio of people who don't lift''

Are you trying to argue that grappling 7 days a week is better for a competitive grappler??
Cause that's dumb as hell, look at the best submission grapplers, they all take rest days, they all have strength training, the proof is in the pudding.

Doing bjj and riding your Longboard won't stop a greener stronger guy from controlling you, especially if they have a wrestling background, I have done it myself.
This is Definitely it, I got no issue if someone just wants to grapple, but don't come in the gym claiming they should get rid of the weight section because it's useless for bjj..
Moronic

Lifting is beneficial for all the above reasons they all are points I made, you would think it would be easy to comprehend, but I guess your ego can't allow it.

Last edited:
Nobody has claimed weight lifting is useless for BJJ. Stop listening to the voices in your head, TS. They are not your friends.

I think most people underestimate the value of lifting from not just a strength standpoint, but injury prevention. In theory I'd rather roll 6 days a week, but i know 3 days a week of rolling and 2-3 days a week of intelligently structured lifting is going to get me further over the long run because I won't be injured as much.

Even though BJJ is my #1 priority right now, I would rather hit a lifting session than a BJJ session if it came down to it because it does that much for me in terms of staying healthy.

The vain bastard within also likes looking decent and can't stand being a skinny dude. :)

Lmao the narrative has never changed, the thread highlights ALL the benefits of lifting and that does include being able to explode out or in a position.
Also the fact that it will make you less injury prone, and mobile.
All of the above is true there's no need to cry anymore.
Litterally from the first two pages

Lifting is beneficial for all the above reasons they all are points I made, you would think it would be easy to comprehend, but I guess your ego can't allow it.

If muscular inbalances and health was your main concern you would have listed things such as yoga, swimming, pilates, and kettle bells . Things much more beneficial than bro lifting . But hey.

I think most people underestimate the value of lifting from not just a strength standpoint, but injury prevention. In theory I'd rather roll 6 days a week, but i know 3 days a week of rolling and 2-3 days a week of intelligently structured lifting is going to get me further over the long run because I won't be injured as much.

Even though BJJ is my #1 priority right now, I would rather hit a lifting session than a BJJ session if it came down to it because it does that much for me in terms of staying healthy.

The vain bastard within also likes looking decent and can't stand being a skinny dude. :)

Completely agree. At 41, I’m far better off lifting 3x a week and training BJJ 3x a week. My joints would be in worse shape if I quit lifting and trained BJJ 6x a week. I’m a way better grappler with the lifting/BJJ split.

Plus, I packed on 40lbs and got to 200 at 6’2”. I’m way tougher to handle at 200lbs than 160 even if I had trained more BJJ (with no lifting) and stayed at 160.

If muscular inbalances and health was your main concern you would have listed things such as yoga, swimming, pilates, and kettle bells . Things much more beneficial than bro lifting . But hey.
I definitely did say Turkish gettups which is done with a kettlebell.
Swimming is also terrible for your shoulders, people who swim competitively go to the gym and use cables and do rotator cuff work frequently, just like I do, I surfed since I was kid, swimming and paddling is great cardio, but it's not going to solve any muscular Inbalances, like bands or cables will.

Yoga is good, but you can only get Soo strong with yoga before you hit a platue in strength and start only targeting flexibility and cardio.

I don't think you understand lifting for strength and the science behind it, none of the things you listed will get you as powerful as heavy compounds, being mobile and balanced comes with the journey of strength training.
You're going to be doing corrective excercises while progressively overloading.
You can't do that in yoga, swimming, pilates..
There's no need to dance around the facts
Completely agree. At 41, I’m far better off lifting 3x a week and training BJJ 3x a week. My joints would be in worse shape if I quit lifting and trained BJJ 6x a week. I’m a way better grappler with the lifting/BJJ split.

Plus, I packed on 40lbs and got to 200 at 6’2”. I’m way tougher to handle at 200lbs than 160 even if I had trained more BJJ (with no lifting) and stayed at 160.
Thank you for being a prime example of what I'm talking about.

Exactly I don't understand how these people can sit there and criticize me for saying adding a lifting routine would improve their overall grappling and atheltic ability.
In the big picture you are farther ahead.

Last edited:
I just enjoy lifting. It makes me feel tighter and less injury-prone. If it helps me do BJJ/Muay Thai longer, then, awesome.

Why do you keep saying “bro lifting”. To devalue it?
Lots of people who aren’t bros lift weights to stay in shape... bro

Back