Why do so many people in bjj not lift weights

Well that was 2015 & I could see how would do possibly be doing that workout as a joke. He certainly doesn't look like he lifts weights
It's kind of a moot point regardless. stipe is strong as fuck, you think someone who's weak is going to be able to single leg nganouu?
Looking like you lift is meaningless, I'm talking strength, guys that's are waterbuff have puffy muscle and no flexibility.
I'm talking solid mass maybe 5lbs of weight that comes from adaptation to heavyweight, not from pumping your muscle and eating 4 k calories, that's not strength training.

Last edited:
It's kind of a moot point regardless. stipe is strong as fuck, you think someone who's weak is going to be able to single leg nganouu?
Looking like you lift is meaningless, I'm talking strength, guys that's are waterbuff have puffy muscle and no flexibility.
I'm talking solid mass maybe 5lbs of weight that comes from adaptation to heavyweight, not from pumping your muscle and eating 4 k calories, that's not strength training.
Well it's a valid point to this thread if he doesn't lift. One could argue that weight lifting is overrated. Some could argue that weightlifting can hinder you, if you bulk up too much. It all depends on the person. Some people are just genetically very strong.

Well it's a valid point to this thread if he doesn't lift. One could argue that weight lifting is overrated. Some could argue that weightlifting can hinder you, if you bulk up too much. It all depends on the person. Some people are just genetically very strong.
You keep going off track strength training isn't training for bulk.
And exactly those that are grenetically strong don't need as much weight training.
Any one who says it's overrated is living in a fanatsy world, if you take the majority of the top fighters including champions most of them lift weights as apart of their strength and conditioning program.

My real question is what do you guys have against lifting so bad?
Nobody wants to give it the credit it's due around here.

You keep going off track strength training isn't training for bulk.
And exactly those that are grenetically strong don't need as much weight training.
Any one who says it's overrated is living in a fanatsy world, if you take the majority of the top fighters including champions most of them lift weights as apart of their strength and conditioning program.

My real question is what do you guys have against lifting so bad?
Nobody wants to give it the credit it's due around here.

Bench and curl life baby!

I find that as I age that it protects my joints, like armor when I roll and I find my takedowns have an extra umphh to them when I lift. I think it can help your defense especially when youre a beginner. Many beginners that lift and are strong can sometimes get out of shit on strength alone. But, like it was mentioned earlier, there are many different types of strenth that can be developed by weights. explosvie strength, maximal strength, strength endurance, etc. And there are two types of hypertrophy....sarcoplasmic vs myofibrillar. Sarco increases cross sections of a muscles fiber. Myofibrilar is an enlargment of the muscle fiber itself and filament density. Kinda like the classic bodybuilder vs olympic weightlifter argument. I personally know that if I had choice to roll with a bodybuilder, powerlifter, or olympic weightlfter.....I aint picking the Olympic lifter. Explosvie dynamic strength is fucking scary on the mat.

Weightlifting indirectly makes you a better wrestler
There's a reason why strength training is a big priority in wrestling.

the reason a person's takedowns are ineffective is not because he can't squat XXXLBS, it is because his technique is subpar. it is because his shot sucks. not becaues he can't bench.

Actually you could ask - why so many ppl in martial arts don't lift weights (or even do regular calisthenics)? There's this myth that "technique always beats strength" - and it's not that simple most of the time. Even so, if you and your opponent are at a similar level of technique, the stronger one will usually win - and this part of the conversation seems to be ignored by many. Also, "greasing the groove" with simple body weight exercises can definitely help avoid injury, which in turn will give you more time to work on technique. Every "off day" from your martial art should be your gym/calisthenics day.

Actually you could ask - why so many ppl in martial arts don't lift weights (or even do regular calisthenics)? There's this myth that "technique always beats strength" - and it's not that simple most of the time. Even so, if you and your opponent are at a similar level of technique, the stronger one will usually win - and this part of the conversation seems to be ignored by many. Also, "greasing the groove" with simple body weight exercises can definitely help avoid injury, which in turn will give you more time to work on technique. Every "off day" from your martial art should be your gym/calisthenics day.
People like to pretend it's that simple, it shows the lack of real experience.
the reason a person's takedowns are ineffective is not because he can't squat XXXLBS, it is because his technique is subpar. it is because his shot sucks. not becaues he can't bench.
I agree with that I never denied that, however lifting weights and getting strong indirectly makes you a better wrestler and overall grappler.

I find that as I age that it protects my joints, like armor when I roll and I find my takedowns have an extra umphh to them when I lift. I think it can help your defense especially when youre a beginner. Many beginners that lift and are strong can sometimes get out of shit on strength alone. But, like it was mentioned earlier, there are many different types of strenth that can be developed by weights. explosvie strength, maximal strength, strength endurance, etc. And there are two types of hypertrophy....sarcoplasmic vs myofibrillar. Sarco increases cross sections of a muscles fiber. Myofibrilar is an enlargment of the muscle fiber itself and filament density. Kinda like the classic bodybuilder vs olympic weightlifter argument. I personally know that if I had choice to roll with a bodybuilder, powerlifter, or olympic weightlfter.....I aint picking the Olympic lifter. Explosvie dynamic strength is fucking scary on the mat.
100 percent agree

People like to pretend it's that simple, it shows the lack of real experience.

I agree with that I never denied that, however lifting weights and getting strong indirectly makes you a better wrestler and overall grappler.

99.9% of the posters in this thread need to work on technique and cardiovascular not lifting weights.

There are elite wrestlers who would surprise you with how little they lift.

Why don't people who do BJJ, lift weights?

- Hours in a day: simply not enough time.
- A lot of lifting is not functional to BJJ.

I personally have slowed down on lifting because I also box and lifting hinders the snap/fluidity in my strikes, however there is no doubt in my mind lifting does help with BJJ. I'll give you a personal anecdote. I started BJJ when I was 16, I had awful hip flexibility that meant even pulling off a simple armbar from guard was a nightmare. Guess what helped with that? Lifting. Lifting, particularly Olympic styled lifting helped negate some of the strength imbalances that I was experiencing.

However that being said, everyone has a different body and ability. There's no one size fits all model. Try lifting, if that helps with your BJJ continue it. If it doesn't then don't. It's really that simple.

99.9% of the posters in this thread need to work on technique and cardiovascular not lifting weights.
I don't agree, some people have fantastic cardio and grappling stamina yet lack strength?
There's no copy and paste routine, there's already been people in this thread talking about the benefits they receive from lifting and how it transfers over to their grappling.
You should try it, before trying to put every little thing above it.
It makes a difference

I don't agree, some people have fantastic cardio and grappling stamina yet lack strength?
There's no copy and paste routine, there's already been people in this thread talking about the benefits they receive from lifting and how it transfers over to their grappling.
You should try it, before trying to put every little thing above it.
It makes a difference

I have lifted weights in my 15years of grappling. They are helpful in injury prevention more than anything (that is if done correctly). Benching is not one of them imho. Kettlebell, bodywork outs, plates, bulgarian bags, ect are better than "weightlifting" such as curling and benching.

All that being said. I stand by my statement that most if not all posters here would be better at stand up and grappling if they drilled for the hour or two instead of lifting.

Drilling your shot or seonagi an extra hour or two a week will make you better at takedowns than benching.

I have lifted weights in my 15years of grappling. They are helpful in injury prevention more than anything (that is if done correctly). Benching is not one of them imho. Kettlebell, bodywork outs, plates, bulgarian bags, ect are better than "weightlifting" such as curling and benching.

All that being said. I stand by my statement that most if not all posters here would be better at stand up and grappling if they drilled for the hour or two instead of lifting.

Drilling your shot or seonagi an extra hour or two a week will make you better at takedowns than benching.
I agree that grappling more makes you a more technical grappler which is king.
However the most optimal way to train is to include a real strength training routine, not just grapple cause as you noted it creates inbalances and can you make you more injury prone.

As far as benching go I know allot of people who can't do it because of their shoulders it's definitely not some kind of necessity, but it is a great compound that will make you stronger overall, which will indirectly transfer over like most other compounds.

I will also add that drilling throws and takedowns is a very effective form of strength training. You lift up a human being for an hour, you will get stronger. Functionally stronger than "bro lifting".

Someone will do the same that royce did in the future, it's history repeating itself.

I don't like neck training it's better to build the traps that stabilize the neck.

lifting weights + bjj < bjj + striking training in a real fight bro.
bjj + striking < judo/sambo/wrestling + striking in a real fight

Last edited:

I actually agree that a lifting routine does help certain aspects. I don't know anyone either in my place who has said its pointless or anything so I don't know where this thread is coming from.
Out of curiosity, what sort of routine/ schedule do you train?

I actually agree that a lifting routine does help certain aspects. I don't know anyone either in my place who has said its pointless or anything so I don't know where this thread is coming from.
Out of curiosity, what sort of routine/ schedule do you train?

Its dependent on how many Hours I work a week, after a long work day I have no problem (mentally) grappling for a couple hours after a 12 hour day because it's fun but not lifting while mentally exhausted lol.
but I try to lift at least twice a week for a hour each session.
If only have two days for lifting I will split it into upper body /lower.

It's constantly changing to keep things new however lately my upper body has looked like this after warmup
Heavy rack pull with proper posture to instill good thorasic extension (something allot of grapplers would benefit from, not only grip but posture) and 5 reps for 3 sets.

I'll move onto a heavy flat or incline press 5x3 or 3x2 depending how good I'm feeling.

I'll move on to seated fat grip cable row
Heavy 5 sets.
Then Ill cap off the workout with rotator cuff work using either bands or the cables.

For lower body again constantly changing.
power cleans and focus on explosion and control instead of going really heavy on this specific exercise

I either or squat or deadlift, if I don't squat I make sure to dead sumo. same thing as far as volume goes, under 5 reps sets vary on how much other work I'm trying to get in
Lately I haven't been squatting or deadlifting nearly as much as usually as
HEAVY barbell Glute Bridges and Turkish gettups are impossible after a proper deadlift session.

So it's always changing, but overall I don't have allot of volume so there's minimal mass gain.

I never grapple then lift and I never lift then grapple.
If I have a long work week I'm usually doing more grappling than lifting, when I have free time i would rather keep the machine up to date and train for longevity.

Last edited:
Back