Why do people think Tony vs. Khabib will be competitive?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
Tony Ferguson's win-streak albeit impressive is nothing more than a house of cards about to cave in. Aside from his RDA victory he has looked very beatable in all of his fights - many of them against very subpar competition. In the RDA fight there could have been a number of mitigating factors which led to the poor performance from RDA... whether it be a poor weight cut, coming off a loss, USADA, whatever.

Tony Ferguson was being pummeled and was even full mounted by a very green to the scene Kevin Lee who had the most blatant case of staph infection on his chest. Staph infection is very serious and isn't on the Tito Ortiz "fractured skull" of excuses when a fighter loses. It is admirable that Kevin Lee even took the fight.

An infection of that magnitude will certainly sap your energy, and it is obvious that fatigue attributed to Kevin Lee's eventual downfall in round 3... it wasn't that Tony Ferguson was the better fighter...

If Khabib comes in healthy to this fight, and that is a big if due to the intensity of his training and his difficult weight cuts, then I do not see how this fight is competitive barring the puncher's chance (or in Tony's case, a spinning elbow, flying knee, etc) which is possible in any fight.. although I feel like Tony will be even more hesitant than usual in this fight when it comes to throwing his flashy arsenal of moves because it will result in being taken down. This alone will make Tony's gameplan more restrictive.

Can you imagine if Khabib has full mount on Tony - (it won't happen because Khabib likes to stay in more advantageous positions)? Or is able to dictate the pace for 2-3 rounds? Anything else will be number one bullshit.

If we didnt think ufc fights were competitive beforehand why we watch them

If we didnt think fights were competitive beforehand why we watch them

I am hyped about the fight, but I made this thread to stir the pot and to hear why people believe the contrary - why they believe Tony has a good chance.

Numpty, Ferg is as legit as they come. Khabib is going to have to go to hell and back for that W

VhTbydl.gif

I am hyped about the fight, but I made this thread to stir the pot and to hear why people believe the contrary - why they believe Tony has a good chance.
How bout I stir my fist into your face instead?

Because it’s mma and one strike or submission attempt could end your night.

You watch many mma fights?

Khabib is one dimensional and Tony might be the one to expose him.

You can't win 10 UFC fights in a row (some against strong competition) without having a well-rounded game.

I think most people envision his guard work perhaps being a bit more tricky for Khabib to deal with than a normal fighter's guard.

He's also a big ole' boy (for 155) *with* great cardio, which should help. He also has immediate fight-ending ability, catching subs from unusual places, and great scrambling.

Khabib should be seen as a favorite, but this is a fight worth buying if you are a MMA fan.

I'd give Tony about a 30-33 percent chance to win, or thereabouts.

Last edited:
This place will be hilarious if Khabib loses.

Tony Ferguson's win-streak albeit impressive is nothing more than a house of cards about to cave in. Aside from his RDA victory he has looked very beatable in all of his fights - many of them against very subpar competition. In the RDA fight there could have been a number of mitigating factors which led to the poor performance from RDA... whether it be a poor weight cut, coming off a loss, USADA, whatever.

Tony Ferguson was being pummeled and was even full mounted by a very green to the scene Kevin Lee who had the most blatant case of staph infection on his chest. Staph infection is very serious and isn't on the Tito Ortiz "fractured skull" of excuses when a fighter loses. It is admirable that Kevin Lee even took the fight.

An infection of that magnitude will certainly sap your energy, and it is obvious that fatigue attributed to Kevin Lee's eventual downfall in round 3... it wasn't that Tony Ferguson was the better fighter...

If Khabib comes in healthy to this fight, and that is a big if due to the intensity of his training and his difficult weight cuts, then I do not see how this fight is competitive barring the puncher's chance (or in Tony's case, a spinning elbow, flying knee, etc) which is possible in any fight.. although I feel like Tony will be even more hesitant than usual in this fight when it comes to throwing his flashy arsenal of moves because it will result in being taken down. This alone will make Tony's gameplan more restrictive.

Can you imagine if Khabib has full mount on Tony - (it won't happen because Khabib likes to stay in more advantageous positions)? Or is able to dictate the pace for 2-3 rounds? Anything else will be number one bullshit.

I agree. Will look like any Khabib fight.

TD. GNP to Bolivia. Probably finish.

Tony is skilled in 10th planet jiu jitsu and will use his rubber guard to negate khabibs inferior sambo top game and pummel him with elbows....jk
The only way i see tony winning is by khabib getting tired in the later rounds but i dont think that will happen.

i cant believe that dumb posts like this keep appearing.

did we not just watch frankie edgar get knocked the fuck out by a bjj guy who had no fight camp?

mma is unpredictable, how many fights have you watched? im guessing about 3 and one of them featureed kimbo

Did you miss where Tony got guard back at the end of rd 1 vs Lee and at the bell was just fine-more fresh than Lee actually?

The fact that you would say "many of Tony's wins are against sub par competition" makes me wonder why you are even posting here, let alone starting threads. Barboza, Tibau, Trujillo, RDA are all COMMON OPPONENTS with Khabib LOL!!

Tony's cardio and durability are huge assets, and you need to be borderline retarded not to realize this. He forces guys into wars of attrition. It's by design-he's even talked about it!

Khabib has slowed in round 3 of some fights, while Tony has shown unreal cardio over 5 rds. Khabib has never even been past round 3

Thinking this isn't a competitive fight...man maybe you need a different hobby. MMA may not be for you. Both guys have advantages and disadvantages. Please take a step back and think before posting more nonsense.

They both have great fighting IQ. But Tony creativity is on another level. I would not be surprised if he submits Khabib inside 3.

They are both each others’ hardest fight. That’s what makes it interesting

Sensitive much?
Oh, oh shit. I thought it was a joke to play along with. Didn't realize I was dealing with a for real badass.

Lemme back out off real slow. We cool we cool.

Back