why do newer video games tend to suck?

Does any1 feel the same way?

i don't know about "feel" the same, but objectively speaking - games are much, much worse than ever.

the norm today:

- online only, with server performance being typically somewhere between passable and terribad. and in an era where hackers/trolls/botnets (ie: lizardsquad) can ddos anything into total inaccessibility.
- LAN being disabled/disallowed.
- retarded (typically unlawful) TOSs
- hackers stealing people's info and causing servers to be taken down for extended periods (ie: psn)/companies being irresponsible regarding their security, including of your data.
- buggy games that shouldn't exist being released and requiring tons of patches to fix... and sometimes never even being fixed (sup, fallout 4).
- DLC, now often involving suckering people into a season pass for little to nothing (borderlands tps, fallout 4, etc and etc). dlc getting lazier and lazier/shammier.
- pay2win
- microtransactions.
- subscriptions requiring one to pay to access multiplayer.
- gamergate/media and devs colluding over reviews, trigglypuff nonsense like the new mass effect
- local co-op becoming a unicorn.

no, it's not just nostalgia.

i find it funny that horizon down seems to be in every thread in this subforum. game looks like shit, imo. feminazi bullshit with stale mechanics.

I've been rocking bannersaga 1-2, fractured space, league of legends, stellaris, endless legend expansion, hard west, and have a massive backlog of newer and older games to play through and no hope of enough hours in the day to get through them.

i don't know about "feel" the same, but objectively speaking - games are much, much worse than ever.

the norm today:

- online only, with server performance being typically somewhere between passable and terribad. and in an era where hackers/trolls/botnets (ie: lizardsquad) can ddos anything into total inaccessibility.
- LAN being disabled/disallowed.
- retarded (typically unlawful) TOSs
- hackers stealing people's info and causing servers to be taken down for extended periods (ie: psn)/companies being irresponsible regarding their security, including of your data.
- buggy games that shouldn't exist being released and requiring tons of patches to fix... and sometimes never even being fixed (sup, fallout 4).
- DLC, now often involving suckering people into a season pass for little to nothing (borderlands tps, fallout 4, etc and etc). dlc getting lazier and lazier/shammier.
- pay2win
- microtransactions.
- subscriptions requiring one to pay to access multiplayer.
- gamergate/media and devs colluding over reviews, trigglypuff nonsense like the new mass effect
- local co-op becoming a unicorn.

no, it's not just nostalgia.

i find it funny that horizon down seems to be in every thread in this subforum. game looks like shit, imo. feminazi bullshit with stale mechanics.
I don't think any of those reasons you mentioned make a game objectively bad. And most of those arguments don't even directly affect gameplay experience. 'retarted terms of service' making a game much, much worse doesn't make you come off as terribly objective to me. And why would you need LAN if you can just go online.

Gaming reviews are another side issue that don't objectively make a game worse. I mean, how would that even make sense....

Buggy games have been a staple for many, many years.

Never experienced any serious lag issues when I play online. Requiring to be online, sp or mp, again, doesn't make a game factually bad. Although I can imagine it can be a huge bother if you do have experiences with that.

Last edited:
I don't think any of those reasons you mentioned make a game objectively bad. And most of those arguments don't even directly affect gameplay experience. 'retarted terms of service' making a game much, much worse doesn't make you come off as terribly objective to me.

wow. you don't see the connection/relevance with the ToS bullshit? devs got scummier. you don't see how that's a factor that goes along with the quality of games being lesser?

And why would you need LAN if you can just go online.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. why would anyone want to play with their friends in the same location? it's definitely more fun with strangers/friends elsewhere. but the main reason - who wants virtually no latency when you can play with 100+ ms latency, and deal with lag spikes (and plateaus)? it's... it's as if this affects gameplay tremendously, or something.

plus, ISPs never have maintenance or outages. servers are always up and stable. networks are free from the same, as well as attacks from those like lizardsquad.

gee, i wonder why anyone liked LANs, at all!

Gaming reviews are another side issue that don't objectively make a game worse. I mean, how would that even make sense....

except that they did and do. it's... it's as if this was also related, or something. it's.......... as if this has been a large scandal for the past few years, or something. it's as if devs get encouraged to pull cash grabs because as long as the reviews are protected, people will still buy the games.

additionally, this same gg/sjw bullshit just directly led to the mass effect fiasco.

Buggy games have been a staple for many, many years.

never like this. games were tested heavily and released when ready. now they're released with minimal testing and typically require a heavy day 1 patch... and numerous other patches, just to make it into a 'releasable' state. and some games (*cough, fallout 4, cough*) never even get fixed.

Never experienced any serious lag issues when I play online.

wow. you're so full of shit.

you either don't play online much or are too much of a n00b to realize the issues.

Requiring to be online, sp or mp, again, doesn't make a game factually bad. Although I can imagine it can be a huge bother if you do experience with that.

diablow 3.

additionally, i didn't say that each of these alone make a game "factually bad." the points i listed are the norm now, though. and they typically run together.

also, games are LCD more than ever now and just plain retardedly easy. there are virtually no truly difficult games. difficulty has been replaced by tediousness.

i also like how you evaded microtransactions, pay2win, DLC, and etc - the biggest ones.

Last edited:
Having a debate doesn't mean you have to resort to name-calling and sarcasm, at least attempt to act like an adult. I'm not the enemy you're free to put down just because I disagree with your claims. Again, all of those examples are circumstantial, not a single one of those inherently make the new generation of games factually worse.

I already played online back in the Starcraft days. And obviously I have experienced lag in games here and there, but overall it's pretty much been a non-issue for me. And the way you worded it, it it's like you want a ping that's a higher than 100... instead of lower. But you can get that kind of latency online also either way. Around 100-150 ms online latency is hardly an unfeasible number nowadays.

And you can play with friends physically around you, through internet...I really don't know people that still lament about LAN, you're the first guy in years that I've heard complain about that.

also, games are LCD more than ever now and just plain retardedly easy. there are virtually no truly difficult games. difficulty has been replaced by tediousness.
Difficulty ≠ quality.

i also like how you evaded microtransactions, pay2win, DLC, and etc - the biggest ones.
I didn't evade it, I think most of your reasons are completely circumstantial and mostly from your very biased and personal experience and I didn't want to bother going point for point, because I'm just going to repeat myself. I'm not saying there aren't unsavory elements in the gaming industry that have to be dealt with, but none of those inherently make modern gaming as a whole 'bad', although some of those issues can and will obviously be exploited, because of human nature.

There are microtransactions in Dota 2, but none of those directly impact the actual gaming experience, because they're cosmetic in nature. Not saying every game with micro transaction is as unintrusive, but as I said, it's circumstantial. pay2win is mostly for shitty free2play games I don't care about. And again, depends on how intrusive and greedy a developer/publisher gets. Same song and dance for DLC, can be good, can be bad. It's bad if they cut the original content up in pieces, it's good if it actually adds quality content. Response has been overwhelmingly positive for something like the Witcher's Blood and Wine, although ironically I didn't care much for it. I didn't like the French setting and overall fatigue on my part. But hey, that's my personal experience I certainly wouldn't want to impose that as some kind of objective fact.

So trying to claim something like DLC is universally bad for gaming and therefore undebatable is clearly untrue. Not to mention a lot of DLC is offered for free, ME3's multiplayer was supported quite a long time with a whole series of free DLC, that made the mp richer and more varied.

Last edited:
wow. you don't see the connection/relevance with the ToS bullshit? devs got scummier. you don't see how that's a factor that goes along with the quality of games being lesser?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. why would anyone want to play with their friends in the same location? it's definitely more fun with strangers/friends elsewhere. but the main reason - who wants virtually no latency when you can play with 100+ ms latency, and deal with lag spikes (and plateaus)? it's... it's as if this affects gameplay tremendously, or something.

plus, ISPs never have maintenance or outages. servers are always up and stable. networks are free from the same, as well as attacks from those like lizardsquad.

gee, i wonder why anyone liked LANs, at all!
Do you serioulsy take a PC to a friend's house? lol

Couple games I played recently that I really enjoyed

Firewatch
Pillars of Eternity
Life is Strange
GTA 5
DOOM
Alan Wake
Deus EX: Human Revolution
Skyrim(with mods)
Shadow of Mordor
Mad Max
CIV 5

You can get all these on consoles besides CIV 5 and Pillars

Do you serioulsy take a PC to a friend's house? lol

you haven't lived until you had coke-fueled weekends of nearly nonstop, absurd tournaments/head to heads/etc with your buddies for $5-100/game.

it all started with general asshattery (taunts, dumb bets, gimmicks) on a couch with mario kart 64 that escalated to playing for $5 games, often with 2-3 people punching each other while the worst player ends up tortoise/haring to victory...

For some reason FO4 really did not keep my interest.
I really love the Fallout franchise.. I put 412 hours into 4.. mostly because of settlement building

I really love the Fallout franchise.. I put 412 hours into 4.. mostly because of settlement building
Settlement building appeals to some, and would to me, but just isn't Fallout.

you haven't lived until you had coke-fueled weekends of nearly nonstop, absurd tournaments/head to heads/etc with your buddies for $5-100/game.

it all started with general asshattery (taunts, dumb bets, gimmicks) on a couch with mario kart 64 that escalated to playing for $5 games, often with 2-3 people punching each other while the worst player ends up tortoise/haring to victory...
You don't need a LAN to play Mario Kart 64 with 4 people.

I'm talking about taking your PC to another house to play CS or whatever. That's really dumb.

You don't need a LAN to play Mario Kart 64 with 4 people.

I'm talking about taking your PC to another house to play CS or whatever. That's really dumb.

please learn to read.

i said it (our shenanigans) all STARTED WITH mario kart 64. it quickly escalated, obviously.

i had no idea that friends getting together to play games is "really dumb." news to me.

Last edited:
Maybe they suck cause you're playing COD. Try Titanfall it's vastly superior to COD. The Witcher 3 was one of the best games I've ever played. Yeah Warcraft 3 was an amazing game but there's been a ton of amazing games since that and counterstrike came out ages ago.

Oversaturation of the market, homogenised premises/gameplay mechanics, attention more directed towards making money with microtransactions rather than, you know, making a finished, GOOD game.

That is more directed at AAA game companies, though, indie companies are at least still doing it with love.

Same can be said for the movie and music business.

More nostalgia than anything. Same thing goes on with music and movies.

I think games are still great, only thing I don't like is this DLC and season pass bullshit with MP games like Battlefield.

Biggest mistake was buying B4 and realizing I needed to spend another like 40-50 dollars on DLCs or else I'm locked out of most of the playerbase. Whats even more bullshit is that I bought B4 with a few DLCs already packaged.

But there was something like 4-5 other DLCs I apparently had to buy or else I"m limited to playing on 1 or 2 maps and low online activity since people only play on 1 or 2 of the 20 maps I had.

Either way, I will never purchase a Battlefield game ever again, nor will I ever buy a MP game with $100 season passes like Battlefront and CoD. Fuck that shit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back