why do newer video games tend to suck?

If there's any problem with the gaming market, it's an overabundance of choice as far as great content, not a lack of quality.
I can't fucking decide what to play, and it can be hard to settle in to a game knowing that I own literally hundreds of games that I'm yet to play.

As far as DLC's and season passes and shit, it don't bother me too much as long as i feel like i get fair value for my initial purpose. I rarely stay on a game long enough to where I'm still interested when DLC's start dropping anyway.
The exceptions would be games like the Soulsbornes and Fallouts where I would probably start a new playthrough at some point after everything has been released.

I think games are still great, only thing I don't like is this DLC and season pass bullshit with MP games like Battlefield.

Biggest mistake was buying B4 and realizing I needed to spend another like 40-50 dollars on DLCs or else I'm locked out of most of the playerbase. Whats even more bullshit is that I bought B4 with a few DLCs already packaged.

But there was something like 4-5 other DLCs I apparently had to buy or else I"m limited to playing on 1 or 2 maps and low online activity since people only play on 1 or 2 of the 20 maps I had.

Either way, I will never purchase a Battlefield game ever again, nor will I ever buy a MP game with $100 season passes like Battlefront and CoD. Fuck that shit.
I see your point, but fuck that shit, look at the reviews of the DLC before purchasing. Usually if it suck you will not see the player base moving towards it and will see shitty reviews. Addons should not be a replacement for a great game, but seasoning on top of the steak.

Not a niche industry anymore, and the Corporate Overlords are too involved. Rpgs and games with strategic elements have been dumbed down so they're not too hard for idiots. Most of the industry seems to be FPS games now, which not everyone is into. Publishers are super fucking greedy. Look what they did to Dead Space.

They had an actual original franchise that could've been the next Resident Evil, but they weren't happy selling just a few million copies per sequel. So they had to turn them into action games, which tanked sales and resulted in the end of the series. They've been gradually stripping out more and more rpg elements from Fallout, after they already put the stupiid FPS skin on it.

The current console gen is a bust for me, all the innovation is on Steam. Where you can find ACTUAL VARIETY in what's being released, and prices are reasonable. Divinity: Original Sin and Shadowrun: Dragonfall are better than anything on a console imo.

Edit: Also forgot about Pillars of eternity. That game was amazeballs.

Last edited:
because kids nowadays are stupid and they are the main audience

games like warcraft 3 where you actually have to use your brain, or shooters that require skill and dont have checkpoints every 30 seconds are dead

1. wow, you're butthurt about sarcasm? ...what are you doing here?
2. what name-calling? i didn't use ANY name-calling... until right now, you big freakin' baby.
"HAHAHAHA" "You are a noob, you are full of shit, etc"

I talked to you in a normal manner and you act like we got in some kind of fight, where you feel the need to deride me. Why be so hostile and immature? This isn't about being a 'pussy', it's about normal conversation, you wouldn't talk to someone like that irl unless you have very poor social awareness. Maybe you're so used to acting this way you don't know any better.

when you deleted it from the quote and then said literally nothing about - yeah, you did.
I quoted you in full, no editing whatsoever, what would be the point, everyone can scroll up to read what the original post was. You act like I'm scared of addressing those points. I already explained why I didn't, because it would have the same explanation as most of the other points, that is, those aren't in any way factual arguments, because they're completely circumstantial and apparently very colored by your nostalgia. Who in their right mind would say that DLC means games are factually worse than they used to? Sure, they can be used as cash-grabs, but I'm sure there are lots "The last of Us" and "Witcher 3" fans whom were more than happy to get optional extra quality content. It's just a delivery system, it can be used in a good or bad way.

And to humor you I did end up specifically replying to those points in my former post, so what exactly are you 'crying' about? Your last post was nothing but juvenile posturing, you didn't defend a single point. Same goes for LAN, instead you went on some nostalgic rant about the good old days with your friends. You can say the same thing about playing online, people have gotten married and met people they would never have through online gaming.

Last edited:
"HAHAHAHA" "You are a noob, you are full of shit, etc"

you use quotation marks but those are no quotes. way to prove your maturity by resorting to wild accusations, strawman, and now fake quotes.

tell me more about maturity. you can't even handle basic logic.

edit: lolz @ my post being deleted. wtf.

Last edited:
i don't know about "feel" the same, but objectively speaking - games are much, much worse than ever.

the norm today:

- online only, with server performance being typically somewhere between passable and terribad. and in an era where hackers/trolls/botnets (ie: lizardsquad) can ddos anything into total inaccessibility.
- LAN being disabled/disallowed.
- retarded (typically unlawful) TOSs
- hackers stealing people's info and causing servers to be taken down for extended periods (ie: psn)/companies being irresponsible regarding their security, including of your data.
- buggy games that shouldn't exist being released and requiring tons of patches to fix... and sometimes never even being fixed (sup, fallout 4).
- DLC, now often involving suckering people into a season pass for little to nothing (borderlands tps, fallout 4, etc and etc). dlc getting lazier and lazier/shammier.
- pay2win
- microtransactions.
- subscriptions requiring one to pay to access multiplayer.
- gamergate/media and devs colluding over reviews, trigglypuff nonsense like the new mass effect
- local co-op becoming a unicorn.

no, it's not just nostalgia.

i find it funny that horizon down seems to be in every thread in this subforum. game looks like shit, imo. feminazi bullshit with stale mechanics.

basically all this.

Dlc do really ruin games especially when your charging 50- 60$. Expansions, or true expansions were half if not the same a sizes as the base game

DLC were basically large patches with content

Now you have Developers babbling about "completely FREEE" games and micro transactions an dlc blah blah blah

its getting old

please learn to read.

i said it (our shenanigans) all STARTED WITH mario kart 64. it quickly escalated, obviously.

i had no idea that friends getting together to play games is "really dumb." news to me.
It's just first world problems. Stop whining.

LOL @ lan parties.

It's just first world problems. Stop whining.

LOL @ lan parties.

oh man this shit was awesome to do. I remember i use to have my friends bring they're gear to my crib an we'd go hard on the junkfood and games.

Also lan centers were the place to chill in my area. God those glorious days where amazing

The graphics, sound design, etc have increased the scale of the games, but what is lost often is fun in repetition. All games have repetition, but it makes a huge difference in what the repetition is. In older games, and indie games now, the repetition is in the gameplay. In newer games the repetition is in mission structure. HUGE difference. Shit like Ubisoft open world games with their fetch quest, base management turn the games into a grind. These mechanics can be used to enhance the game on another scale, but usually they are not utilized properly, tacked on, and result in just another resource accrue structure.

Or not. All I know is that it takes me so long to beat AAA games because I dont have the impetus to play them, and most of my gaming time is with indie games like Hotline Miami, Hyper Light Drifter, Starbound, Stardew Valley, Party Hard, and such games.

I got Witcher 3 day one, and still have not beaten it................

oh man this shit was awesome to do. I remember i use to have my friends bring they're gear to my crib an we'd go hard on the junkfood and games.

Also lan centers were the place to chill in my area. God those glorious days where amazing
Keyword: was

When they launched CS and barebones was a thing.

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg

Back