Who would win: Errol Spence Jr. vs Canelo @ 160 LBs

Draper

Bronze Bomber
@purple
Reaction score
I can't think of any version of the fight where Errol Spence doesn't win easily.

That's provocative, I too think Spence beats him but certainly don't envisage it being easy.

Peterson is a lot smaller than Canelo, and was still able to throw and land some counters. Canelo will take Spences shots a lot better, and throw better, stronger counters than Peterson.

I mentioned this fight in another thread, and think it will be the best fight to make in boxing in 3-4 years. Let Spence get to be about 30, get a little bigger, clean out 154, and then boom.

They are the same age, and no way in Hell is Canelo gonna make the jump to 168 and be successful.

Spence loses. Spence is inexorable but he doesn't cut the ring off as well as people think. Spence's jab is also a one-rhythm weapon so he'll be open to right hand counters. It's also really hard to body punch Canelo because he has his arms down when he moves his head. Canelo can stand in front and not worry about his head being hit because he is just that smooth in the pocket.

For the record, I like Spence, and I like his attitude about wanting to fight everyone. Having no fear and a willingness (at least verbally, so far) to want to get in the ring with all the champs, is appreciated by me. That being said, Canelo wins.

Canelo is too big for Spence and just as talented. No way can Spence win the fight right now and thinking otherwise is just silly imo when Spence hasn't even fought at 154 yet. He'd get soundly beaten by Canelo.

BRo have you seen canelo vs ggg. Canelo would maul him and take his best shots of they landed.

Pump the brakes on the Spence Bus.

Youre talking a huge step up in weight (yes I know Spence is big, still hasnt fought there) and elite talent.

i dont know how anyone can intelligently answer this question.. although errol is a big ww, no one knows if he will carry his power up to 160. if he does he will beat canelo, if he doesnt than canelo wins.

Eh.

Spence isn't big enough or experienced enough and Canelo gets the absolute friendliest scorecards in all of boxing so to win Spence would need a knockout which isn't happening. Canelo is one of the only guys who puts in body work like Spence does so that negates one of Spence's biggest weapons already.

Canelo would win a good fight but it would be an absolute blowout on the cards.

Eh.

Spence isn't big enough or experienced enough and Canelo gets the absolute friendliest scorecards in all of boxing so to win Spence would need a knockout which isn't happening. Canelo is one of the only guys who puts in body work like Spence does so that negates one of Spence's biggest weapons already.

Although I fancy Spence here, I also like this interpretation, very possible.

I think Canelo beats Spence right now, and I'd be confident enough to put money on it (I'm not a gambler).

I like Spence a lot, and he's definitely one of the best fighters in the sport right now. But Canelo has just shown the ability to do more things against a wider range of opponents and across multiple weight classes. He has a big experience advantage.

Maybe in 2 or 3 years I'll feel differently. But right now I'd pick Canelo.

Is Spence really that much smaller than Canelo though? Dude's enormous. I've heard he walks around as high as the high 160s and he's as tall as Canelo (both 5'9'') and even has a longer reach than Saul. I think Canelo takes it right now, but it certainly wouldnt be hard to see Spence win in the future.

Is Spence really that much smaller than Canelo though? Dude's enormous. I've heard he walks around as high as the high 160s and he's as tall as Canelo (both 5'9'') and even has a longer reach than Saul. I think Canelo takes it right now, but it certainly wouldnt be hard to see Spence win in the future.

I think they are close to the same size. I just think Canelo has shown the ability to do more, against more opponents. Spence is not going to blast Canelo out of there like he's Brook or Peterson. Look what GGG did to Brook, and look at how much he struggled to hit Canelo.

Guys who have jumped from welter to middle have not traditionally been the destroyer they may have been previous. Spence still has a little to prove at 147 before we start saying he beats the best at 160.

Its odd that the very people on the forum who used to throw out the “Canelo has never fought at the higher weight class against people his size” are now saying Spence beats Canelo or gives him all he can handle.

Give Spence some time to marinate before were throwing him to the wolves at middleweight.

Last edited:
Canelo wins now and years from now, and probably easier than expected. Canelo is hard to hit in the pocket, has high level skill and counter ability, hits pretty hard himself and has shown he can take a punch (GGG fight). What is there that one can say Spence has the advantage of?

Oh yeah don't forget:. Canelo is younger than Spence by 4 months....

There's a reason @RR says he's advising against Spence fighting Canelo.

Eh.

I think it's way, way too early to be talking about Spence beating Canelo, let alone easily, but this does get overplayed a little too much. Canelo does clearly get favourable cards (on at least three occasions one of the three judges was either incompetent to the point of absurdity or simply bought off), but the whole "you have to KO him to beat him" is a little overdone. He has only clearly lost a single fight in his career, and although one card was fucked up, two of them were spot on in identifying that fact (just as two of three judges were completely reasonable with their scores in the Golovkin fight, and you only need 2 of 3).

Canelo wins now and years from now, and probably easier than expected. Canelo is hard to hit in the pocket, has high level skill and counter ability, hits pretty hard himself and has shown he can take a punch (GGG fight). What is there that one can say Spence has the advantage of?

Oh yeah don't forget:. Canelo is younger than Spence by 4 months....

There's a reason @RR says he's advising against Spence fighting Canelo.

Spence has better stamina and he's a better infighter. I'm skeptical that it's enough to make up for the size difference, but he has some advantages. If they were the same size, I'd favour Spence.

I genuinely believe Spence doesn't stand a chance.

I think they are close to the same size. I just think Canelo has shown the ability to do more, against more opponents. Spence is not going to blast Canelo out of there like he's Brook or Peterson. Look what GGG did to Brook, and look at how much he struggled to hit Canelo.
yeah you're definitely right, Canelo has the experience, power, and skill edge. I just don't think they're THAT far off from each other in size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back