Who takes it, Edgar or Ortega?

I slightly favor Edgar but I think there's a 35-40% chance that Ortega locks up a sub. He has deadly subs and should have a decent size advantage. If he gets close I think his strength advantage allows him to finish the submission. Wouldn't be the first time an upstart, promising youngster upsets a proven top level fighter towards the end of that fighter's career.

Edgar is better everywhere by a significant margin.

Better everywhere? He's the better submission artist and better off of his back? {<huh}

Frankie will be really hard for Ortega to submit. We all know Ortega getting a submission or knockout out of nowhere is his only chance in this fight.

Better everywhere? He's the better submission artist and better off of his back? {<huh}

Frankie will be really hard for Ortega to submit. We all know Ortega getting a submission or knockout out of nowhere is his only chance in this fight.

I'm 100% certain Frankie will not end up on his back at any point in the fight. When I said everywhere I meant that if it goes to the ground, Edgar will be the one on top and controlling what is happening.

BJ landed 2 takedowns in the second fight.

Don't blame Edgar that BJ couldn't keep him down.

Edgar landed 4 takedowns.
That doesn't even dispute my point. I said they spend almost no time on the mat. They didn't.

It's tough to pick against Frankie unless he's fighting Aldo, so I won't.

I think this will look similar to Frankie vs. Do bronx.

Edgar by decision. I like Oretga but have not been impressed with his striking, it needs a lot of work. He has great subs but Edgar never been submitted and his control is so good on the ground. I feel a 30-27 for Edgar

Mediocre stand up and zero wrestling.It's just a matter of time before he runs into a terrible match stylistically..and I think this is that match.So amazing with that bjj though,so it's hard to have confidence,but I got Edgar by fighting smart and picking him apart.Plus Ortega is often willing to just slug it out.Guy was losing multiple fights before pulling it off in the 3rd...be tough vs Edgar.I think Edgar is clearly the smart pick but we are all wrong in mma all the time.

I'm done going against Frankie in non-title fights. Dude looks spectacular as long as a belt isn't involved.

That doesn't even dispute my point. I said they spend almost no time on the mat. They didn't.

You didn't raise a point.

Frankie Edgar took BJ Penn down multiple times. BJ even took down Edgar multiple times.

I stated that Edgar took down Penn multiple times before Ortega even had a pro fight. You said nothing in the slightest to dispute that.

Them not spending the whole fight or even a large portion on the ground does not diminish my original statement in any way what so ever.

I don't want either of them to lose! I'm going to have to go with Frankie on this one though just because fucking Brandao was able to beat him in the first 2 rounds.

Frankie can keep that pace all night.

Out with the old in with the new. Ortega next gen elite so I think he's got it. No hate on Edgar love him but age has consequences.

Can anyone explain to me why Frankie can't just dance away from the action for 3 rounds and win a decision? He is one of the most skilled point fighters in the history of the sport.

Edgar can dart around point kickboxing and simply avoid wrestling. Ortega has decent striking, but nothing on the level of an Aldo. Frankie won't initiate grappling exchanges, bounce all around and never be stationary.
Ortega has reach. Dance all he wants Ortega hits first and last. He might have to initiate TD to overcome this if Ortega's on.

Frankie starts strong with his boxing, movement and volume, but T-Siddy clips him in the 3rd and swarms for a TKO.

Edgar easily. If you aren't Jose Aldo, you aren't beating Frankie at FW.

PREACH BROTHA.

Frankie’s one of the best P4p fighters ever. MAYBE he gets caught in a guillotine, but he won’t. Frankie’s taking this 30-27.

Ortega has reach. Dance all he wants Ortega hits first and last. He might have to initiate TD to overcome this if Ortega's on.

I watched Ortega get outstruck by Clay Guida.

Fuck your reach.

You didn't raise a point.

Frankie Edgar took BJ Penn down multiple times. BJ even took down Edgar multiple times.

I stated that Edgar took down Penn multiple times before Ortega even had a pro fight. You said nothing in the slightest to dispute that.

Them not spending the whole fight or even a large portion on the ground does not diminish my original statement in any way what so ever.
My point is we haven't seen frankie spend any amount of time on the mat with someone as skilled as ortega.

You said he was grappling bjj world champs before Ortega had his first pro fight. That is irrelevant because there was a total of only a few seconds on the mat in those fights. It does nothing to indicate how frankie would deal with ortega's guard.

Ortega has world class MMA adapted jiu-jitsu and pedestrian striking. It's serviceable, but nothing to write home about. For his part, Edgar has been fighting at a reach disadvantage literally his entire career.

Edgar has really good footwork and a speed advantage. He's going to be hard to hit and he is really good at point fighting.

I think Ortega is a live dog here, he's lost a lot of rounds then came back to pull off a submission against lesser men, but that submission threat is there. I think Edgar will avoid grappling exchanges and has the footwork to make that a reality.

I'm 100% certain Frankie will not end up on his back at any point in the fight. When I said everywhere I meant that if it goes to the ground, Edgar will be the one on top and controlling what is happening.
Well he did end up on his back...

Back