Who is Picking RDA to beat Covington?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I, for one, am torn on this fight.

RDA is a much better striker, but doesn't really hit hard, he could hurt Covington with a body kick, but I don't see his punches doing much, and he would be really stupid in trying to clinch with Covington to do any sort of damage.

The only thing keeping me from picking RDA is that he hasn't fought anybody who wants/who has tried to get him down, since Khabib/Jason High.. 4 years ago. There may have been one or two takedown attempts, but he hasn't fought anybody with the gameplan that Covington will bring. He has essentially fought a lot of strikers, not one wrestler.

I think RDA has decent takedown defense, but not great takedown defense. His cardio is solid, but Colby is bigger, stronger and has better cardio as he is relentless in pursuing takedowns. RDA will get up from the takedowns imo, but Covington will put him back down.

I like RDA, but asides from Woodley (who sometimes likes to strike) and Usman (who also, sometimes likes to strike) - Covington is his worst match-up at Welterweight, because he usually wants no part of striking. In theory, this fight should be simple to prepare for. But Colby is one guy you can take takedown defense for, but he will still get you down. This is what years of wrestling does.

Of course, RDA could try and hit a guillotine, or try and attack from bottom (which we haven't really seen), but he could try and get some sort of participant trophy for when he most likely loses. Covington will most likely be the most accomplished wrestler that RDA will have fought in his entire MMA career.

Thoughts?

toss up fight

no one is right or wrong

I still don't believe we have seen enough of Colby against top competition to accurately assess the fight

Plus, RDA is sometimes a wild card and tempermental

If Colby cannot continuously take RDA down, he is in for a long night

Maia boxed him up a bit

My heart says RDA, my brain says RDA

God the main and co-main at 225 are gonna be sick

I, for one, am torn on this fight.

RDA is a much better striker, but doesn't really hit hard, he could hurt Covington with a body kick, but I don't see his punches doing much, and he would be really stupid in trying to clinch with Covington to do any sort of damage.

The only thing keeping me from picking RDA is that he hasn't fought anybody who wants/who has tried to get him down, since Khabib/Jason High.. 4 years ago. There may have been one or two takedown attempts, but he hasn't fought anybody with the gameplan that Covington will bring. He has essentially fought a lot of strikers, not one wrestler.

I think RDA has decent takedown defense, but not great takedown defense. His cardio is solid, but Colby is bigger, stronger and has better cardio as he is relentless in pursuing takedowns. RDA will get up from the takedowns imo, but Covington will put him back down.

I like RDA, but asides from Woodley (who sometimes likes to strike) and Usman (who also, sometimes likes to strike) - Covington is his worst match-up at Welterweight, because he usually wants no part of striking. In theory, this fight should be simple to prepare for. But Colby is one guy you can take takedown defense for, but he will still get you down. This is what years of wrestling does.

Of course, RDA could try and hit a guillotine, or try and attack from bottom (which we haven't really seen), but he could try and get some sort of participant trophy for when he most likely loses. Covington will most likely be the most accomplished wrestler that RDA will have fought in his entire MMA career.

Thoughts?

People should not expect just anybody at 170 to be able to be able to absorb the amount of damage RDA put on Lawler.

I think RDA has enough pop in his hands at 170 to do just fine.

So yeah... I like RDA too bro

RDA IS A BROKEN SHELL OF WHAT HE ONCE WAS.
WAR COLBY
hilarious-reaction-gifs-website-registration.gif

The only advantage Colby has in this fight is wrestling and size...and that is enough, most of the time, to beat somebody not as good as RDA...

Going with RDA

I can't believe people are actually picking Colvington. RDA is going to absolutely destroy him. He is a complete different class of fighter than Covington has faced before. People so easily forget the tear he was on before getting KOed by Alvarez. RDA is an absolute monster, that hasn't changed. Covington beat a highly overrated, one-dimensional Maia, and people think he's going to beat someone like RDA? There are so many fair weather fans.

His mouth wrote a check he couldn't cash on this one.

Did Khabib take down RDA ? if so Colby will do the same. He's bigger wrestler with better gas tank.

I can't believe people are actually picking Colvington. RDA is going to absolutely destroy him. He is a complete different class of fighter than Covington has faced before. People so easily forget the tear he was on before getting KOed by Alvarez. RDA is an absolute monster, that hasn't changed. Covington beat a highly overrated, one-dimensional Maia, and people think he's going to beat someone like RDA? There are so many fair weather fans.

His mouth wrote a check he couldn't cash on this one.

Agree but he did get wrestle-fucked by Khalabeeb. Not saying Colby is on the level, but he does have size and wrestling on his side. I hope to sweet baby jesus RDA KO' s him

Agree but he did get wrestle-fucked by Khalabeeb. Not saying Colby is on the level, but he does have size and wrestling on his side. I hope to sweet baby jesus RDA KO' s him

That was so long ago though, and RDA became a champion and improved a TON since then.

RDA won the poll at like 80%, but maybe people were just voting who they want to win

Stopped reading when you said RDA's cardio is ok but Colby's is better.

Colby was gassed by round 3 in the Maia fight. Gtfo with this nonsense.

Colby's best bet in this fight is to wall n stall. Or get RDA down n hope he can keep him there cuz if not, he will be lit up with body kicks all night.

Colby is a fucking gangster. Colby subs rda in a minute then goes back an bangs 5 vivid chicks in his hotel. He running these streets like Chael used to

Not sure who has the better cardio. That is a key to me. RDA if he wins will prob won't via stoppage in my opinion.

That was so long ago though, and RDA became a champion and improved a TON since then.

It still happened, also what big time wrestler has he fought since then to show amazing improved his wrestling? This is coming from an RDA fan btw and I hope he wins, but this is my main concern a big man wrestle fucking him for the entire fight

Colby via size and wrasslin but RDA is not a pushover can make something happen early on if he gets a good strike in

Colby 5 rd decision

It still happened, also what big time wrestler has he fought since then to show amazing improved his wrestling? This is coming from an RDA fan btw and I hope he wins, but this is my main concern a big man wrestle fucking him for the entire fight

Fair enough. I just feel he's improved so much since then and probably learned from that loss. He did face Bendo, and he just pressured him and KOed him, basically just overwhelmed him, which is what I see him doing to Covington also. I just think RDA, being the vet and former champion that he is, will just set a ridiculous pace on Covington to where he basically won't be able to keep up. Just my take on the matchup.

Back