Who is Picking RDA to beat Covington?

Magny is a general guy, alright at striking and wrestling, he is a decent grinder against lower leveled guys, but RDA kicked his leg and submitted him within two minutes. Not surprising.
He beat Kelvin.

Look at all the losses on RDA's resume: Khabib, Tibau, Guida, even Alvarez and Cucuy have wrestling backgrounds... he isn't at his best against guys who can wrestle. OTOH, he has shined against guys who have made their mark in stand-up (Pettis, Cerrone, Diaz, Lawler).

Tough fight for him; rooting for him though.

I, for one, am torn on this fight.

RDA is a much better striker, but doesn't really hit hard, he could hurt Covington with a body kick, but I don't see his punches doing much, and he would be really stupid in trying to clinch with Covington to do any sort of damage.

The only thing keeping me from picking RDA is that he hasn't fought anybody who wants/who has tried to get him down, since Khabib/Jason High.. 4 years ago. There may have been one or two takedown attempts, but he hasn't fought anybody with the gameplan that Covington will bring. He has essentially fought a lot of strikers, not one wrestler.

I think RDA has decent takedown defense, but not great takedown defense. His cardio is solid, but Colby is bigger, stronger and has better cardio as he is relentless in pursuing takedowns. RDA will get up from the takedowns imo, but Covington will put him back down.

I like RDA, but asides from Woodley (who sometimes likes to strike) and Usman (who also, sometimes likes to strike) - Covington is his worst match-up at Welterweight, because he usually wants no part of striking. In theory, this fight should be simple to prepare for. But Colby is one guy you can take takedown defense for, but he will still get you down. This is what years of wrestling does.

Of course, RDA could try and hit a guillotine, or try and attack from bottom (which we haven't really seen), but he could try and get some sort of participant trophy for when he most likely loses. Covington will most likely be the most accomplished wrestler that RDA will have fought in his entire MMA career.

Thoughts?

I bet Colby mgight be the only one picking him to win. rda will crush him.

Back