Who is Floyds 50 fight?

Yeah, it is an opinion, so the "meh" response I get, but I feel that it can be substantiated. Anyway, I picked Canelo to beat Cotto by UD. How about you? I still stand by my footwork comment (wordplay intended lol). I felt Cotto would lose because I felt that Cotto only had one weapon to damage Alvarez (left hook) compared to ALL of Alvarez's punches and Cotto often tires/takes time off/slows down and crouches too much (prime time for uppers from Alvarez, who throws those like a bastard). Plus Cotto was the smaller man in this particular fight and that only made things worse. I really didn't think he could hurt Alvarez, he'd have to take more risks and get timed more. Canelo has really great boxing, upper body movement, set ups, all kinds of stuff. But I still believe the shittiest part of his game is his footwork.

So yeah, Canelo can pin down the sometimes complacent Lara often enough and beat Cotto (see reasons above), but Floyd wins fights before he steps through the ropes and when he is in there, he knows what he needs to do to beat his opponent. It can be depressingly underwhelming at times (vs Pac and Maidana II), and it can be a stunning performance (vs Hatton). I don't know if May vs Pac 2 is much different - probably closer - without the shoulder injury. Canelo vs May 2? Do you honestly think May would take it if he thought he would lose? He says he doesn't pay attention to other fights from other fighters but I guarantee you, he watches tape, dissects the performances. Maybe Canelo vs Floyd is a bit closer, maybe, but Floyd still wins. And for the record, I'd love to see Canelo win that rematch if it were to happen. I'm a huge fan of Alvarez.

Funny you mention the left hook, Cotto was being talked about as having this monster left hook and I knew full well his left hook wouldn't land at all on Canelo, and it never. Canelo very rarely gets hit with that shot, just like Floyd he keeps a high right hand, but unlike Floyd, he throws his own hook back at the same time, which is harder and more accurate than Cotto's.

Funny you mention the left hook, Cotto was being talked about as having this monster left hook and I knew full well his left hook wouldn't land at all on Canelo, and it never. Canelo very rarely gets hit with that shot, just like Floyd he keeps a high right hand, but unlike Floyd, he throws his own hook back at the same time, which is harder and more accurate than Cotto's.

Canelo was just bigger, stronger, and fresher than Cotto. But Cotto has one of the best left hooks of the last decade. He has been wrecking guys with left hooks for 15 years through 4 weight classes.

Canelo was just bigger, stronger, and fresher than Cotto. But Cotto has one of the best left hooks of the last decade. He has been wrecking guys with left hooks for 15 years through 4 weight classes.

And a better overall boxer, counter puncher, body puncher etc...He may have a good left hook, but Canelo completely disarmed it. He may have been bigger, but it wasn't size that helped Canelo's glove to be always blocking his chin, it was a very tight defense.

And a better overall boxer, counter puncher, body puncher etc...He may have a good left hook, but Canelo completely disarmed it. He may have been bigger, but it wasn't size that helped Canelo's glove to be always blocking his chin, it was a very tight defense.

We'll see if Canelo will even fight GGG, a guy he is about the same size as. Then you can talk about Cotto's performance against Canelo, and we'll talk about the difference that size can make.

Canelo was just better imo.

Canelo was just better imo.

If he won then he was obviously better that night. But you're comparing a young guy in his prime, to a guy who is 15 years into a career that he started at 140.

Cotto fought a much bigger guy, because he's Miguel Cotto and is not afraid of anything. Now, we wait for Canelo to fight GGG. Let's see how long that takes, and how it turns out.

But regardless, Cotto just knocked out (or badly hurt) 3 people in a row with left hooks, prior to the Canelo fight. All of them 2 or 3 weight classes above where he started.

Last edited:
We'll see if Canelo will even fight GGG, a guy he is about the same size as. Then you can talk about Cotto's performance against Canelo, and we'll talk about the difference that size can make.

Nah, we will stick to discussing Canelo and Cotto when talking about who won their fight and how, I don't think a GGG triangle theory is really needed given they have already fought.

In fact, I'm not sure what GGG has to do with anything.

I've gotta disagree here. Canelo definitely won that fight fair and square, and yes he clearly trained to avoid that left hook. But I saw Cotto as the all around better fighter in that fight with a better gameplan. He hit Canelo with every punch and combination they have a name for. Unfortunately for him, his punches had next to no effect on Canelo, whereas everything Canelo landed was loud and visibly moved Cotto every time. Thus, the rounds went to him because his punches were much more visibly effective.

Nah, we will stick to discussing Canelo and Cotto when talking about who won their fight and how, I don't think a GGG triangle theory is really needed given they have already fought.

Cotto fought a bigger guy, because he has the heart to do so. Canelo is fighting smaller guys, and dropped his belt to avoid the best fighter that is his own size.

So, when Canelo shows the kind of courage that Cotto showed repeatedly throughout his career and fights a big dangerous guy, you'll see the difference that size makes.

I've gotta disagree here. Canelo definitely won that fight fair and square, and yes he clearly trained to avoid that left hook. But I saw Cotto as the all around better fighter in that fight with a better gameplan. He hit Canelo with every punch and combination they have a name for. Unfortunately for him, his punches had next to no effect on Canelo, whereas everything Canelo landed was loud and visibly moved Cotto every time. Thus, the rounds went to him because his punches were much more visibly effective.
Not sure what fight you saw but the % werent close at all. Cotto landed around 21%.

If he won then he was obviously better that night. But you're comparing a young guy in his prime, to a guy who is 15 years into a career that he started at 140.

I'm a Canelo fan but I agree. Canelo was just better that night. He was better because he was younger, stronger, bigger and a comparable boxer. But make the fight a few years ago at 147 and Cotto might just be better that night because he's still pretty prime and Canelo wouldn't have the experience he has now. I think it's alright to acknowledge the cause and not only the result. It's not disrespectful to the winner or the loser.

But it's still a great win, because even though Cotto wasn't in his prime anymore, he was still the second-best middleweight at the time (imo anyway) and the lineal champion. It's still not an easy time and Canelo did very well.

That's not the fight I saw, Cotto struggled to land cleanly all night and his combinations were largely blocked. A lot of the time he would have his combinations blocked and land the jab on the way out, but he certainly wasn't landing his power shots on Canelo. It wasn't like Margarito and Canelo was walking through everything, his defense was on point ant he blocks up close really well, he always protects his body and is hard to hit clean there.

Canelo's shots weren't just harder, they were much more accurate. Cotto would hit Canelo's arms and then Canelo would explode with an uppercut right to the solar plexus. That's not size, it's excellent punch placement, speed and accuracy. Canelo does this to everyone too, his counter body work is of the best in the sport, that's just his thing and he beat Cotto in that department. Canelo was rewarded for landing the cleaner, harder shots and being the effective aggressor for most of the fight, he also come close to stopping Cotto twice if I remember correctly. Cotto just couldn't really get his offense going and was relying on his jab to score points, his hard clean power shots were few and far between, Canelo was consistent in every round.

It will be Pac. A lot of shit would have to fall apart for that to not be the case. And even then it will still be Pac, lol

It will be Pac. A lot of shit would have to fall apart for that to not be the case. And even then it will still be Pac, lol

Despite all of the Danny Garcia talk, I think it'll be Pac too. Floyd is an intelligent businessman as we all know. He said he'll come back "for the right price". A Pac rematch will more than be the right price.

Ive noticed you do nothing but shit on literally every single fighter other than Pac and British guys.

Not true. I call out bullshit and if it happens to be one of your boys, you get snarky.
As for Canelo/Floyd, it was a big disparity in skills and Floyd would have to fall off tremendously to lose, anyway waiting for someone to get old isn't really proving anything.

Just that size gives a fighter an advantage. Did you really watch Canelo vs Cotto and not think that size played a role?

Why are people saying Canelo didnt have enough experience when they first fought, he'd had nearly as many fights as Floyd

just because he spent his time fighting a fucking load of cans instead of actually learning how to fight, he still had a LOT of experience in the ring

and yeah, Mayweather would make him look silly again

At this point, unless Manny rematch comes to fruition, I don't see floyd having the heart to fight again. He doesn't need it.

Back