Who here wanted/ wants to be a fighter?

That's what ball sports are for, unless you're a C-level athlete.
Too much competition. Believe me, I tried. It takes an A-level athlete just to play at a good university.

From 15 on I dreamt of being a fighter. I thought it was a romantic lifestyle. One on one, my preparation and will against yours. How many of you young bucks still have the dream alive? Are any of you going to do anything about it or let time and age make the choice for you? What about just dreaming of winning a martial arts tournament someday? Anyone?

if thats something you want to do take it seriously and pursue it now. I used to feel the same way. back in the day I did ammy boxing and then got into MT had some smokers ect. started considering getting into MMA and training more seriously. then next thing I know BOOM life got in the way and now its not even an option. Always felt like I missed out on something I really enjoyed doing. I was pretty fucking decent too. Now I just train for fun n shit. But if you're really passionate about something pursue it ASAP cuz time waits for no man and next thing you know life fucks you over and changes your trajectory. Even if it doesn't pan out atleast you tried. Good luck my dude

not really. when I first started boxing as a teenager I never planned on doing it for anything but fun unless I showed a ton of talent. Which I obviously didn't :p

if thats something you want to do take it seriously and pursue it now. I used to feel the same way. back in the day I did ammy boxing and then got into MT had some smokers ect. started considering getting into MMA and training more seriously. then next thing I know BOOM life got in the way and now its not even an option. Always felt like I missed out on something I really enjoyed doing. I was pretty fucking decent too. Now I just train for fun n shit. But if you're really passionate about something pursue it ASAP cuz time waits for no man and next thing you know life fucks you over and changes your trajectory. Even if it doesn't pan out atleast you tried. Good luck my dude
That ship has sailed for me. I'm 30. I'm a 3 stripe blue belt under Caio Terra though.. Gave it up though, he wants his purples to compete a lot and most of it wasn't street applicable. Now I train modern combat Hapkido, Krav Maga and PIT style training at Academy of Self-Defense in Santa Clara. Just for shitz and gigs, and health. And women.

Would love to work in MMA and earn a decent living, even if it was working on event set up and travelling around with the organisation in question.

Fuck being a fighter, i’m Alright in a scrappy bar fight but I like a pizza too much,

I have the same number of title defenses as McGregor, so I pretty much am already.
1490052852057s.jpg

I never wanted to be a fighter but i went through a bad depression when i was 21 so i decided to do some sort of training to maybe help me (I heard it helps?). Well on my 3rd lesson of bjj....i was about 200 lbs at the time and this guy who was probably 3 or more hundred lbs who was on top of me accidentally elbowed me in the throat....and I was done after that

Yup, my dreams are still blazing, I train over at core mma with Luke Jumeau and other great NZ fighters, I'm still green as but I'm in the right situation now and have a great team to work with, onwards n upwards from here.

I've been training at Fabio Prado BJJ so I get to train with most of the Alpha Male guys/girls.

I'm 27 years old, trained 11 years and my MMA record 2-2 as an amateur

Maybe I'll take a pro fight or 2 but I'm not going to try to get beat up on TV

i had 4 amateur boxing fights by the time i was 12 by a good old school army boxing coach, and some karate as a kid. Fort Sask. had at that time, for the area a decent Judo club. i wish i was 12 now with the same opportunities and in todays climate.

i woulda seriously considered it or at least dreamed about it more.

When I was training, I had a chance to fight in the senior leagues, but I didn't even consider it.

I was already getting hurt training, (shoulder and elbow injuries from hitting the bag, mostly), and I knew that to compete I'd really have to up my training.

I decided to destroy my body the old fashioned way, with drugs and alcohol.

I probably would have considered it, but I just recently turned 30 and would probably be getting a late start. I missed out.

For what it's worth, I play pretend almost every day that I am a fighter and that I eventually go down as the Greatest to have ever lived. I even have a few different versions of how my career would go down - Who I would beat and in what order. I might share one of them with the rest of you one day soon.

Edmond? Is that you?

Fought in many Karate and Tae Kwon Do tourneys. Bagged a few golds and a couple silvers... which would be impressive if I had only fought in 5 tournaments instead of the 20+ I actually participated in. Bronze medals are as meaningful as participation ribbons, so I never count those.

PS. On a side note, I would fight my younger brother for a bag of Doritos despite the obvious 2-weight class advantage he holds.

I trained and fought in amateur boxing for a couple years, but a couple bad cuts from freak accidents derailed any hopes of going pro.

At one point in the early 2000's I was seriously considering it but there was no money in the sport back then... I'm old now and my body is all fucked up from two decades of training so it's not going to happen sadly.

I am also in a lucrative profession and it's a hell of a lot easier to make a living sitting at a desk in a suit, inside an air-conditioned office than getting punched in the face for a living.

Back