Who do you think won John Makdessi vs Alan Patrick?

I thought it was a very close fight and I thought Rogan was stupid for acting like Makdessi was way ahead in the fight.

Could have gone either way but I sort of thought Patrick would win

The fans.

Just kidding. Who gives a shit.

I thought the fight could have been a split either way...I was amazed that Joe Rogan thought makdessi was so far ahead. That DEFINITELY wasnt what I saw

People who are actually saying Patrick won, they're either stoned, trolls or they did not watch the match.

judging from the first page comments it seems like they believe Patrick won because he pushed Makdessi against the cage/had a lot of trouble taking him down and got him down for a few second in a round.

Makdessi should have gotten the nod. Patrick did nothing with the takedowns in the 3rd and Makdessi got up quick and landed much more strikes than Patrick.

Visually Patrick did far more was very active trying to push the fight, Makdessi had the sharper more precise punches but Patrick looked to do more. I saw Makdessi kept a safe & comfortable distance using leg kicks to keep Patrick at bay, hardly aggressive just waiting to counter Patrick's explosive movements. In a boring a fight I'm looking at the guy trying to show aggression a judging scoring point. If the guy countering that aggression with well placed shots and aggression of his own, then I score him but Makdessi wasn't doing that.
I have no idea what Joe was fawning about all fight "John is a vet" "John won't fall for that" John got picked & pecked to a deserved loss he looked like a Tristar trained fighter don't put yourself in unnecessary danger point fight him, this is not Olympic boxing it's mma.

Just watching the fight for the first time now.

Round 1 - I gave to Patrick, but by the slightest of margins. He looked like he landed the bigger shots (less total strikes), and had that flashy takedown near the end. Patrick also seemed to be the agressor. If there was half point rounds it would have been 10-9.5. If there was such a thing as 10-9.9 I would have scored it that. Personally, I would like to see those kinds of rounds scored a draw - nothing significant happened.

Round 2 - Another draw round in my utopian world of judging. But in the real world where draws are never scored, I gave this one to Makdessi by the slightest of margins. I largely ignored the takedown, but I don't know what the judges current mandate is. They probably have to count it for something, even though it really was nothing for Patrick. Both guys had their moments pressing forward, but Patrick seemed to be more aggressive when he was pressing. You could flip a coin on this one.

Round 3 - In the first 1.5 minutes Patrick lands a hard leg kick, a hard right hand and a hard left high kick. After that the round was an uneventful snoozefest that looked more like a light sparring session. Patrick won that round in the first 1.5 minutes.

Therefore I have it 29-28 Patrick, winning rounds 1 and 3. I'm sure that's how the 2 judges had it as well. The 30-27 doesn't shock me either. The problem is all the rounds were closer to a tie than actually having a winner. 30-27 actually implies that somebody won that sparring match.

I don't know why Rogan was so confused. Just because Makdessi stuffed a bunch of takedowns and kept the fight standing against a dangerous BJJ guy doesn't mean he won the fight. I thought patrick landed the harder shots, was slightly more aggressive, and scored a few takedowns.

The real losers were the people who paid to see this entire event.

I thought the fight could have been a split either way...I was amazed that Joe Rogan thought makdessi was so far ahead. That DEFINITELY wasnt what I saw

My take on it as well.

To be honest, this was a fight where I wouldn't have been surprised to see one judge score it 30-27, and another score it 27-30. All 3 rounds were close enough to go either way (because nothing happened), that I wouldn't have been shocked or have cared if one judge give 3 rounds to Makdessi, and another give all 3 to Patrick.

Couldn't hear the commentary at the bar, so no "Joe Rogan" bias, but Makdessi got fucking robbed.

I'd go as far as saying anyone who scored even a round for Patrick is retarded. I honestly can't believe 8 people thought he won, much less 82.

nobody got robbed, because it was a sparring match, not an actual fight.

Makdessi

However, John can be far too tentative and that sometimes plays on the minds of the judges.

I guess you can win a fight with two takedowns.

You actually can assuming that the striking is relatively close...one take down can put you up for the round. Do it two times and now you're at least at 29-28.

Makdessi should have been more active. He lost the fight in a Machida-esqe fashion.

Makdessi has no one to blame but himself.

So you tell a guy to point fight and play it safe

by cornering his opponent

..... yeaaaaaaaaaaah no.

What?. Faras takes exciting fighters and turns them cautious. He told Makdesi he was doing everything right when he wasn't. He told him he wasn looking good when he wasn't. When the 3rd round rolled around he should have said this fight could go either way you need to pick up the pace. He should have told him after the 2nd to put a stamp on this fight and leave no doubt.

Couldn't hear the commentary at the bar, so no "Joe Rogan" bias, but Makdessi got fucking robbed.

I'd go as far as saying anyone who scored even a round for Patrick is retarded. I honestly can't believe 8 people thought he won, much less 82.

Personally, I'd go as far as saying anyone who has a different opinion on the same fight, depending if commentary (Joe Rogan) is on or not, is retarded. If you can't formulate an unbiased opinion on a fight with Rogan talking (or without), you probably shouldn't be passing judgement on fights.

I really don't want to revive the argument because this was such a piss-poor fight - they should both have losses on their record and the crowd was justified in booing at the end. That said, because almost nothing happened, I could have seen this going either way. Like I said before, I realistically wouldn't have been surprised to see a 30-27 score, followed by a 27-30 - it was that uneventful of a fight and you probably could have flipped a coin in ever round.

Like I said before, it doesn't really matter if it was 30-27 Makdessi, or 30-27 Patrick, that actually implies somebody "won". If there were decimal points in scoring this would have been something like 30-29.7.

Patrick arguably did more damage with opening a cut, and landed the bigger/harder shots and a few takedowns that didn't lead to anything, where Makdessi landed larger volume of shots.

Back