Which team is better? Jordan's Chicago Bulls vs Curry's GSW

that's the wildcard with the supposed 1v1 matchups. GSW runs so many screens to either get someone open or set them up with a defensive mismatch. it's not iso-ball where a great defender like Jordan or Pip would be able to lock them down. Next thing you know, Rodman or Harper will be guarding Durant alone on the perimeter waiting for defensive help and they can rotate to the open man for a wide open 3.

I'm sure in a 7 game series, Phil might have an answer for it, but Pop wasn't able to contain it (besides Kiwi, he didn't have lock down defenders as good as Pip or MJ though)
This is the issue; we can talk great defense all we want but the truth still remains and that's that the Warriors don't play a style where a physical team will dominate because they aren't a post up or get the rock into the paint type of team. In the 80s and 90s, teams punished players who drove in the lane and the philosophy was "no easy baskets in the lane, make them beat you with jumpers on the perimeter" and that's where the Warrior's live. Outside of the ocassional drive, they are a jump shooting team and do it with high efficiency. That's why even under 90s rule, although I give the Bulls the edge, it's still going to be tough for the Bulls simply because of the amount of screens and running around the Warriors do in today's game. Where the Warriors will suffer is on defense where the Bulls can bully them down low at will but again, 3s for 2s and it COULD be a long series.

Under today's game, if Jordan and Rodman talked trash the way they did and played defense the way they did, they'd be T'd up in a second and would be looking at suspensions. They can't outshoot the Warriors and 90s defense won't work in today's game. Offense is so much easier but playing great defensive is so much more difficult now so it's geared toward the offensively minded and talented team which is the Warriors by far.

During the Finals of the 72 win season, the Bulls shot a collective 26.3% from 3s and that's with the shortened 3pt line while the Supersonics shot 31.4%. The Warriors as a team shot 38.2% from 3s, nearly 12 full percentage points better. As a Jordan homer, I want to say the Bulls take it in either era but looking at it from an unbiased standpoint, the Bulls have it in the 90s and the Warriors win it in today's game

This is the issue; we can talk great defense all we want but the truth still remains and that's that the Warriors don't play a style where a physical team will dominate because they aren't a post up or get the rock into the paint type of team. In the 80s and 90s, teams punished players who drove in the lane and the philosophy was "no easy baskets in the lane, make them beat you with jumpers on the perimeter" and that's where the Warrior's live. Outside of the ocassional drive, they are a jump shooting team and do it with high efficiency. That's why even under 90s rule, although I give the Bulls the edge, it's still going to be tough for the Bulls simply because of the amount of screens and running around the Warriors do in today's game. Where the Warriors will suffer is on defense where the Bulls can bully them down low at will but again, 3s for 2s and it COULD be a long series.

Under today's game, if Jordan and Rodman talked trash the way they did and played defense the way they did, they'd be T'd up in a second and would be looking at suspensions. They can't outshoot the Warriors and 90s defense won't work in today's game. Offense is so much easier but playing great defensive is so much more difficult now so it's geared toward the offensively minded and talented team which is the Warriors by far.

During the Finals of the 72 win season, the Bulls shot a collective 26.3% from 3s and that's with the shortened 3pt line while the Supersonics shot 31.4%. The Warriors as a team shot 38.2% from 3s, nearly 12 full percentage points better. As a Jordan homer, I want to say the Bulls take it in either era but looking at it from an unbiased standpoint, the Bulls have it in the 90s and the Warriors win it in today's game

To add to your point about punishing players driving to the lane, people also forget that the Warriors can do those things as well if this we're played in the 90s ruleset. I highly doubt Zaza, West and Green would back off on that opportunity to get aggressive on the defensive end

Warriors.

The league is so much more talented now than it was. Larry Bird was a career 37% 3 pt shooter, which enough to be effective but nothing to write home about now. We now have whole teams that average above 40%. Whole teams have figured out how to average above 40% a three point shot. Think about that.
Bird shot 37% when 3pt line was relatively new/a gimmick, and teams were allowed to defend the perimeter. Comparing that to guys/teams who are brough up in a system where spot-up shooting and iso play is shoved down their throats, and effective defense is frowned upon, is an invalid comparison.

To add to your point about punishing players driving to the lane, people also forget that the Warriors can do those things as well if this we're played in the 90s ruleset. I highly doubt Zaza, West and Green would back off on that opportunity to get aggressive on the defensive end

But it wouldn't be anything the Bulls have already seen by better, more physical players.

Curry, Thompson, and Durant would probably just quit at halftime.

But it wouldn't be anything the Bulls have already seen by better, more physical players.

you guys act like every play was a car collision, hockey check or a wide out going across the middle. i guess instead of looking at former NFL players, we should start testing NBA players from the 80's-90's for CTE

Bird shot 37% when 3pt line was relatively new/a gimmick, and teams were allowed to defend the perimeter. Comparing that to guys/teams who are brough up in a system where spot-up shooting and iso play is shoved down their throats, and effective defense is frowned upon, is an invalid comparison.

You can't blame people for playing better because such and such is shoved down their throat. That is like saying dirk is not better. He just had shooting shoved down his throat.

Defense then was overrated. I don't care. Charles Oakley wouldn't start on a playoff team now. Team defense might be worse but there are a lot more athletic freaks in the league now. You can't understate how much of a pain it is to be defended by a 6'7 guy with a 7'1 wingspan. There were freaks then but there is just a lot more now. Back then you had more guys like Chris Dudley and luc longly.

Its kinda amazing how most team sport have this exact debate. 90s teams vs today. Soccer, basketball and ice hockey has all improved so much. These sports has decided to protect the talented players. And the players has become so much stronger, more skilled, more athletic with improved nutrition and professionalism. The only argument 90s team has is they would rough current teams. Because ability wise its not close.

that "effective defense" only had to be played from 15' in against 80% of starters in the NBA(and on Jordan's Bulls). Now, it has to be played to 25' against 60% of starters on championship teams.

The only issue I have with the 'modern' rules is.. not being able to guard prime MJ is not good for the opposing team. He will gladly drop 50 a game on you if he needs to, he's not 'pass 1st Lebron'

That said, I think it's a toss up because Durant is a tough dude to deal with too.

The modern game is different. THere are so many more guys who can shoot now. Jordan couldn't hit 3's and if you haven't noticed 3's are worth more than 2's.

The game is so different now. So many more guys can pass and shoot. The Warriors often have 4 guys on the floor that can hit 3's at a high level, and the Bulls just can't fucking do that.

The modern game is different. THere are so many more guys who can shoot now. Jordan couldn't hit 3's and if you haven't noticed 3's are worth more than 2's.

The game is so different now. So many more guys can pass and shoot. The Warriors often have 4 guys on the floor that can hit 3's at a high level, and the Bulls just can't fucking do that.

Bulls were well known for their full court and half court press, they have more length on the perimeter than GS does and MJ doesn't need to hit threes if you can't guard him. I'll also point out it's real easy to inflate stats and efficiency when you aren't allowed to guard people. Acting like Larry Bird (someone brought him up earlier -not you) wouldn't benefit from today's soft defense in those departments is just amazing.

Not only that, but GS having to rely on hitting threes to score means they couldn't get cold (which does happen to them) on top of them being well defended.

Some of the pseudo analysis in these threads is hilarious tho lol

images

Stephen's Curry made from nipple soil and armpit oil.

Delicious.

Those Bulls teams had two of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time. Kind of weird to ignore that and rest on the Warriors easily taking today's rules over the Bulls just because they can hit 3's in your analysis.

And not being able to really guard MJ? Sorry, that's a huge problem. It's conceivable he could average a lot more than 40ppg in today's finals. Scottie could score too and that might also be an issue along with Kukoc and the Bulls overall length.

Essentially you're taking a team that got it done in a more difficult era and dropping them right into a situation where they wouldn't have to work as hard. I'm not saying it's a sweep for the Bulls, but I would lean towards the Bulls in either era given the former statement.
Scottie v Klay is one of the biggest mismatches in this hypothetical.

Exactly. You can't go in there thinking you can just set those fruity little pics.

A guard like curry is not a guy you want to send sprinting through the lane all too often with the 90's rules.

The dude is pretty fragile.

The problem the Warriors would have is that they wouldn't get many open 3s. The team is basically built around running and getting open 3s. The Bulls had excellent perimeter and transition defense. They wouldn't allow the Warrior to get those open looks. Plus, they would have 2 players that could guard Durant -- Pippen and Rodman. I'm not sure anyone could guard Jordan -- on the Warriors. I'd imagine that Pippen would guard Durant (mostly). Jordan or Harper's size would give Steph trouble.

Plus, if you allow hand checking. No contest. I would give the Warriors a small chance with the current rules set.

Bulls are better with 90's rules, Warriors are better with today's, but if we split the difference, and you don't bet on Jordan, then you're not paying attention.

Back