Which team is better? Jordan's Chicago Bulls vs Curry's GSW

nope, any rule set bulls would win
Explain - I'm a casual fan at best and have not followed NBA (outside of playoffs) since the the mid 90s.

In the discussions I was reading that the modern rules are a bit pussy and that the Bulls would not be able to get physical with GS.

For the record - I dislike GS - just something about that team and Curry in particular that give off a bad vibe.

Explain - I'm a casual fan at best and have not followed NBA (outside of playoffs) since the the mid 90s.

In the discussions I was reading that the modern rules are a bit pussy and that the Bulls would not be able to get physical with GS.

For the record - I dislike GS - just something about that team and Curry in particular that give off a bad vibe.

the bulls were a team filled with 'long" players that would be advantageous to defence regardless of the rules

everyone on the bulls was pretty high iq as well

mentally they were also very tough players

Well bulls played defence so I'll have to go with the bulls.

What are your opinions?
The extended version: The Bulls have the far superior TEAMS in term of overall make up. They have much better defenders in Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and even Harper. They would have Jordan on Thompson which would make it hard on Thompson, Curry should have a pretty good time with Harper although Harper will make it difficult and Pippen will play Durant very tight. With that said, offensively, Curry will outscore Harper, Durant will outscore Pippen, and Jordan is the only one that will consistently outscore his player, Thompson. The wildcards will be Rodman and Green but the truth is, if those two guys don't get thrown out, they will pretty much cancel each other out although the rebounds should favor Rodman and the Bulls definitely. But considering the fact that the Warriors do not play a post up heavy game, that takes Rodman out of the game pretty much.

With that break down, here comes the short and real version, imo

96 Rules: With hand checking, hard fouls, trash talking, intimidation, all the things the Warriors are not used to, I would definitely say Bulls should win and be the heavy favorites. With that said, the Bulls can't really do all the hard fouls because the Warriors shoot a bunch of 3s and are all great FT shooters. One thing we must mention is under the '96-'97 season the 3pt line was just 22' around making the 3 from straight on just as short as from the corners. That would be easy pickings for the Warriors and because of that, I can't say the Warriors are out of it.

2016 Rules: The Bulls won't be able to hand check, hard fouls are out, and intimidation is basically out the door. Staring at a guy is a T therefore I could easily see Rodman getting suspended for a game or even two/three. The Bulls can't shoot the threes like the Warriors and trading twos for threes means the it's extremely easy for the Warriors. I do see it being much easier for Jordan to score and it would not be hard to believe that Jordan could be averaging 40ppg. With that said, with the fouls and limited contact today and the extended 3pt line, I don't see the Bulls having much of a chance especially with their style, the triangle, and pace.

The man could fly.

se32Aty.gif

3a9cb168ee9cdf0d68eb3cf73361fa7f.jpg

Jordan would have called Curry a vanilla midget until he cired. There is no way someone like Jordan would get away with the trash talk he did in the SJW always offended twitter justice era.

But it would be fun to find out . . .

Lol one player getting signed is manufactured? 3 of the 4 best players on the Warriors are homegrown talent.

How about the Bulls begging Jordan to come out of retirement and then signing Dennis Rodman when they couldn't win with him?

You can say this shit about any team.

I just miss the Harden/Durant/Westbrook days in OKC . . . if they could've gotten along and got paid we could being saying this stuff about the Thunder. But nooooooo . . . ugh.

The extended version: The Bulls have the far superior TEAMS in term of overall make up. They have much better defenders in Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and even Harper. They would have Jordan on Thompson which would make it hard on Thompson, Curry should have a pretty good time with Harper although Harper will make it difficult and Pippen will play Durant very tight. With that said, offensively, Curry will outscore Harper, Durant will outscore Pippen, and Jordan is the only one that will consistently outscore his player, Thompson. The wildcards will be Rodman and Green but the truth is, if those two guys don't get thrown out, they will pretty much cancel each other out although the rebounds should favor Rodman and the Bulls definitely. But considering the fact that the Warriors do not play a post up heavy game, that takes Rodman out of the game pretty much.

With that break down, here comes the short and real version, imo

96 Rules: With hand checking, hard fouls, trash talking, intimidation, all the things the Warriors are not used to, I would definitely say Bulls should win and be the heavy favorites. With that said, the Bulls can't really do all the hard fouls because the Warriors shoot a bunch of 3s and are all great FT shooters. One thing we must mention is under the '96-'97 season the 3pt line was just 22' around making the 3 from straight on just as short as from the corners. That would be easy pickings for the Warriors and because of that, I can't say the Warriors are out of it.

2016 Rules: The Bulls won't be able to hand check, hard fouls are out, and intimidation is basically out the door. Staring at a guy is a T therefore I could easily see Rodman getting suspended for a game or even two/three. The Bulls can't shoot the threes like the Warriors and trading twos for threes means the it's extremely easy for the Warriors. I do see it being much easier for Jordan to score and it would not be hard to believe that Jordan could be averaging 40ppg. With that said, with the fouls and limited contact today and the extended 3pt line, I don't see the Bulls having much of a chance especially with their style, the triangle, and pace.

Those Bulls teams had two of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time. Kind of weird to ignore that and rest on the Warriors easily taking today's rules over the Bulls just because they can hit 3's in your analysis.

And not being able to really guard MJ? Sorry, that's a huge problem. It's conceivable he could average a lot more than 40ppg in today's finals. Scottie could score too and that might also be an issue along with Kukoc and the Bulls overall length.

Essentially you're taking a team that got it done in a more difficult era and dropping them right into a situation where they wouldn't have to work as hard. I'm not saying it's a sweep for the Bulls, but I would lean towards the Bulls in either era given the former statement.

Those Bulls teams had two of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time. Kind of weird to ignore that and rest on the Warriors easily taking today's rules over the Bulls just because they can hit 3's in your analysis.
In my analysis, I clearly stated the Bulls have the better make up and better overall defenders but what you have to take into account is how hard it is to play defense in today's game. You can't even touch a guy anymore today so as great as MJ, Pippen, and Rodman were as defenders, who really knows how well they could defend under the rules today. None of them are great shot blockers and relied on quickness and handchecking/body positions. As I noted, with Jordan on Klay, Klay would basically be ineffective even in today's game. Sorry, Ron Harper is not stopping Curry and Pippen, as good as he was, is not stopping Durant. In 96-97 with a 22' 3 pt line, yes the 3pt would favor the Warriors even more. The hard defense and fouls works more against guys who drive or post. Defense has rarely ever worked well against shooters regardless of the era, that's a fact and can be easily proven.

Look at Reggie Miller. Here's a guy who, at his core, is a catch and shoot player. Does not have anywhere near the skill level of a Durant or Curry nor the range. He didn't have the driving, dribbling, nor finishing ability of either Curry nor Durant.

In Miller's career against the Michael Jordan's Bulls where he was mostly defended by Jordan, his regular season career averages against the MJ's Bulls were 19.1ppg, 46.7% from the field and 35.8% from the three point range. Against all other teams in Millers career (and I'm even excluding his last 3 seasons from '03-'05), he averaged 19.3ppg, 46.8% from the field and 36.1% which is basically a wash.

In Miller's post season averages against MJ's Bulls were 17.4ppg, 41.6% from the field, and 43.6% from the 3 point range which further illustrates my point; So while Miller's overall shooting percentage was down, his 3pt percentage was actually a full 7.8% higher in the playoffs against the Bulls. So in all actuality, even against the Bull's stout defense and the rules of the 90s, Miller only averaged 1.7ppg less in the playoffs against than Bulls than the regular season. The 90s rules for defense was so effective because of how the game was played, favoring inside play, going outside, to inside and kicking it back out. The post was where the physicality really took its toll. The Warriors don't play that brand, they don't drive much and are a predominantly jump shot heavy team.
And not being able to really guard MJ? Sorry, that's a huge problem. It's conceivable he could average a lot more than 40ppg in today's finals. Scottie could score too and that might also be an issue along with Kukoc and the Bulls overall length.
Jordan averaged 31.5 ppg in his regular season career (and that's even excluding his stint with the Wizards). In the Playoffs, Jordan averaged 33.4ppg which is basically 1 additional basket more. Additionally, for all of Jordan's greatness, his was never a great 3pt shooter. Outside of the 3 seasons where the 3pt line was shortened, Jordan only shot better than 35% from three point range twice in his career. If you take out the three seasons where the 3pt line wasn't shortened, Jordan's career 3pt shooting percentage would only be 29.4%. So it if it was under 90s rule, Jordan would be scoring the same and if it was under today's rule with the longer 3 pt line, it would be realistic to say he's score an average of maybe 2-3 more shots per game but definitely less 3s made on average as well. 40ppg would be a fair and realistic assessment. Could he conceivably score average more than 40ppg, sure it's possible but it could also be possible that he scores less than 40ppg. This is all guessing at best.

Pippen was a very good scorer too but like Jordan, quite poor from the 3pt line. Guarding Durant, I don't see Durant necessarily losing more than maybe 1 basket a game if we're being realistic. He may average 1 less bucket made but with Durant's length, Pippen would likely lose at least 1 shot a game as well regardless of the era.

Essentially you're taking a team that got it done in a more difficult era and dropping them right into a situation where they wouldn't have to work as hard. I'm not saying it's a sweep for the Bulls, but I would lean towards the Bulls in either era given the former statement.
It depends on what you mean by difficult. Offensively, it was much more difficult in the 90s but at the same time, defense was much easier to play so when you look at it that way, it's almost a wash. In today's game, offense is much easier but playing great defense is much more difficult. You can't hand check, put two hands/arms on a guy, and shooting fouls are now touch fouls.

That's why I would favor the Bulls under the 96-97 rule and the Warriors under the current rules but I think the Bulls would honestly be in more trouble playing today's game than the Warriors playing in the '96-97 rules. All the physicality gets minimalized because the Warriors rarely ever go inside and are really a pure jump shooting team.

All in all, it's just conjecture at best and fun banter. And yes, I was born in 1979, grew up idolizing MJ and believe MJ is the GOAT and that no one else is really that close to dethroning MJ at the GOAT so if there are any biases here, it would be toward MJ but I'm looking at it as unbiasedly as possible.

Last edited:
I just miss the Harden/Durant/Westbrook days in OKC . . . if they could've gotten along and got paid we could being saying this stuff about the Thunder. But nooooooo . . . ugh.

that would have been a great offensive team for sure. I would have loved to see how they would have adapted playing together with ibaka. But apparently ownership is some cheap dude who wouldn't shell out to pay his players.

Matchup wise I think 90s bulls have the edge.

If we go with mid 90s bulls with

Longley
Rodman
Pippen
Jordan
Harper

With

Kerr n kukoc off the bench

They match up perfectly with warriors

Jordan n Harper would switch between curry/Thompson n contain them

Pippen will do the same with kd

Romdan will play mind games with green n get him all emotional

N longley > Zaza cause he can actually hit an open shot

On the other hand, don't see how warriors gonna contain mj?

Clay n igou are good defenders, but not good nuff to slow down mj.

The only time teams had success with mj is when they played physical team d like pistons n Knicks

GS would be lucky to score 80 points vs Jordan's Bulls.

Warriors.

The league is so much more talented now than it was. Larry Bird was a career 37% 3 pt shooter, which enough to be effective but nothing to write home about now. We now have whole teams that average above 40%. Whole teams have figured out how to average above 40% a three point shot. Think about that.

Not a single team shat 40% from 3 this season

Any finals team in the last 10 years b eats Jordan's bulls.

that would have been a great offensive team for sure. I would have loved to see how they would have adapted playing together with ibaka. But apparently ownership is some cheap dude who wouldn't shell out to pay his players.

I'm not sure Clay Bennett is what I'd call cheap, but I honestly haven't paid much attention to Thunder politics . . .

that's the wildcard with the supposed 1v1 matchups. GSW runs so many screens to either get someone open or set them up with a defensive mismatch. it's not iso-ball where a great defender like Jordan or Pip would be able to lock them down. Next thing you know, Rodman or Harper will be guarding Durant alone on the perimeter waiting for defensive help and they can rotate to the open man for a wide open 3.

I'm sure in a 7 game series, Phil might have an answer for it, but Pop wasn't able to contain it (besides Kiwi, he didn't have lock down defenders as good as Pip or MJ though)

Back