When Presidents sound retarded

This is kind of a silly example, don't you think? Honestly, for any one Obama oratory gaffes (stuttering included), you can post 5 Clintons, 10 Reagans, 100 Bushes, and 1000000 Trumps, but with actual substantive word vomit.

Not silly. Obama was a great speaker...until the teleprompter quit on him. He didn't have too many gaffs, but that one was pretty good, and sticks out.

This thread isn't about volume of gaffs. Just when they gaffed.

Not silly. Obama was a great speaker...until the teleprompter quit on him. He didn't have too many gaffs, but that one was pretty good, and sticks out.

This thread isn't about volume of gaffs. Just when they gaffed.

Always thought this was a try-hard argument, and kind of desperate. The whole "Obama can't speak without a teleprompter" bit was made up by people looking for any possible way to insult his intelligence, since there really was not a legitimate way to do so, and the mindless masses bought into it like any other stupid shit their favorite cable news channel pushes.

At the end of his first term, he had held 58 town halls. Gave 1,852 speeches or addresses. Out of all that, he used a prompter 699 times. So at that point we had about 1,000 examples of him being intelligent without a prompter. I think we're good on that.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/obama...leprompter-since-taking-office/article/696407

How come people willfully ignore that he was clearly joking?

He wasn't joking at all. The laugh-track is added by a youtuber. He just had a mental block and couldn't remember the end of the saying.

Always thought this was a try-hard argument, and kind of desperate. The whole "Obama can't speak without a teleprompter" bit was made up by people looking for any possible way to insult his intelligence, since there really was not a legitimate way to do so, and the mindless masses bought into it like any other stupid shit their favorite cable news channel pushes.

At the end of his first term, he had held 58 town halls. Gave 1,852 speeches or addresses. Out of all that, he used a prompter 699 times. So at that point we had about 1,000 examples of him being intelligent without a prompter. I think we're good on that.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/obama...leprompter-since-taking-office/article/696407

LOL, why so defensive? This is just a silly thread about when President's sounded dumb. No need for white knighting.

This is kind of a silly example, don't you think? Honestly, for any one Obama oratory gaffes (stuttering included), you can post 5 Clintons, 10 Reagans, 100 Bushes, and 1000000 Trumps, but with actual substantive word vomit.

I will take Bush having brain farts and saying "wings take dreams" and shit over Trump lucidly spewing non sequiturs though.
They are all silly examples. They're just people making small mistakes while public speaking. Have you tried speaking to the entire nation? I doubt many people would hold up well. There's a reason a Obama had to take 5 seconds of pause between every 3 words to collect himself.

The real stupid things that presidents say are like when Obama said that women earn 77% less than men for doing the same job, or when Trump says Obama was born in Kenya without proof. I don't fault a guy for saying 'is' instead of 'are' while he's off talking off the cuff, or for saying 'if' 20 times in a row trying to collect his thoughts.

The joke was that you saying you've only been wrong once is like Trump only making one blunder.

There's an easter egg in that screenshot just for you.

Correction: I've never been wrong. Deal with it.

Frankly I figured the thread would fill with W quotes, like shooting fish in a barrel.
I think the main difference in bumbling speaking styles between W and Trump is that W keenly felt things and would get lost in an emotional moment where he was reaching for something.
I think Trump is empty and soulless, and when he reaches for something, there's nothing there.
I dunno, I think with Trump he pauses sometimes and reaches for something because his 'go to' speech patterns would be pretty unpresidential. IMO he would say much more outlandish things in much less polite terms if he weren't fettered.

They are all silly examples. They're just people making small mistakes while public speaking. Have you tried speaking to the entire nation? I doubt many people would hold up well. There's a reason a Obama had to take 5 seconds of pause between every 3 words to collect himself.

The real stupid things that presidents say are like when Obama said that women earn 77% less than men for doing the same job, or when Trump says Obama was born in Kenya without proof. I don't fault a guy for saying 'is' instead of 'are' while he's off talking off the cuff, or for saying 'if' 20 times in a row trying to collect his thoughts.

I agree with all of this (minus the erroneous normative take on the 77% claim being patently false). GWB was just not a very good speaker: I don't think it spoke in any meaningful capacity to his lack of intelligence.

Like Jack said earlier, the main and unprecedented difference with Trump is that he's impervious to feeling intellectual shame. Instead of appreciating that he's messed up, invented a completely unfounded claim, or began digging himself an argumentative hole or spinning his wheels, he just keeps barreling ahead. Like, if you read some of the transcriptions of his speeches, where one sentence will last paragraphs and meander on about nothing without ever making a point....it's just crazy.

I like this one, in which he actually does finally get to a point.

Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

Or his brilliant points on Native American identity

I will tell you right now -- they don't look like Indians to me. And they don't look like the Indians, now maybe we say politically correct or not politically correct, they don't look like Indians to me, and they don't look like Indians to Indians. And a lot of people are laughing at it and you're telling me how tough it is and how rough it is to get approved. Well, you go up to Connecticut and you look and now, they don't look like Indians to me, sir.

for being gotten top...last guess as I have other trolls to deal with here...

Nope, troll; for discussing a hypothetical situation from the Philip K. Dick novel The Man in the High Castle.

Nope; for discussing a hypothetical situation from the Philip K. Dick novel The Man in the High Castle.
my bad...PKD is the man...carry on...

Back