What's Your Next Purchase? V5

I hate this... at least once a year I get this yearning to go buy a Ruger GP in .357 or a S&W Model 686 in the same caliber.

Argh.

Hoping to get my dueling tree done this weekend and take it out next week. I have all the parts just need to get it welded up.

Didn't have time. Should be done this week.

I'm going to install my Apex shield trigger/sear/striker block kit today though.

I got a javelin bipod. It’s pretty sweet, only a few more weeks until I can start walking again, hopefully ready for sheep in August/September.

h7JaN0W.jpg

Got the trigger in.

Much shorter take up, over travel & reset. Feels about 1-2lbs lighter but much smoother + the above benefits.

I used the stock trigger return spring in both my M&P's as they are lighter. The sear, trigger and striker block take away quite a bit of weight so the springs apex ship are actually heavier.

@bushman505 and any others...

Bipods. Looking to get a pair of them. One for my AR-10 and another for my Creedmoor build on a KRG Bravo chassis.

Now, I know the two big companies everyone uses are Harris and Accu-Tac. Anyone have preferences between the two?

So, I've had an almost irrational desire to own a 6.5 Creedmoor for a while now and fuck me, it may come closer to reality, sooner rather than later. Proposed changes to the Firearms Act in Canada, were tabled today which may slightly affect my decision, but in reality, shouldn't as I plan on buying new from a dealer.

The biggest and potentially most dangerous change is private transfers, which even with non-restricted firearms, have to be verified through a registrar..."but we promise, we're not creating a new registry." <LikeReally5>

So, I've had an almost irrational desire to own a 6.5 Creedmoor for a while now and fuck me, it may come closer to reality, sooner rather than later. Proposed changes to the Firearms Act in Canada, were tabled today which may slightly affect my decision, but in reality, shouldn't as I plan on buying new from a dealer.

The biggest and potentially most dangerous change is private transfers, which even with non-restricted firearms, have to be verified through a registrar..."but we promise, we're not creating a new registry." <LikeReally5>

Are there mag limits on bolt actions or rimfire?

Generally not, but there some exceptions. Shit, one of the reasons I got a Ruger Gunsite Scout was to legally have a 10-shot rifle.

If you could get a .17 WSM it could be a nice semi auto rimfire rifle.

Franklin armory makes an AR in 17 wsm with 20 round mags.

On bolt actions do you have similar options and prices to the US?

Last edited:
@bushman505 and any others...

Bipods. Looking to get a pair of them. One for my AR-10 and another for my Creedmoor build on a KRG Bravo chassis.

Now, I know the two big companies everyone uses are Harris and Accu-Tac. Anyone have preferences between the two?

Before I got my javelin, all I used was Harris, I really only used them for sighting in rifles at the range then put them away until I need them again.

Get a kimber or a Winchester

Before I got my javelin, all I used was Harris, I really only used them for sighting in rifles at the range then put them away until I need them again.
I want one for each of those projects as they are going to be bench guns/range fun essentially.

If you could get a .17 WSM it could be a nice semi auto rimfire rifle.

Franklin armory makes an AR in 17 wsm with 20 round mags.

On bolt actions do you have similar options and prices to the US?

There's not much point in getting an AR in 17 WSM here, as ARs have been legislated to being mere range toys.

Options can be similar, but limited; things enter Canada in waves so it can be popular for a few months then dry up for a really long time. I don't imagine the upcoming UN marking scheme is going to help things. Prices have been greatly affected by the CAD/USD exchange rate, which is one of the reasons I haven't bought a new gun in a while.

Get a kimber or a Winchester

My inner cheap-ass will disappoint you, I'm currently cross shopping a Ruger American Predator and Savage Axis II in 6.5 Creedmoor. More of a "panic buy", but when I think about it, it's probably a better suited Prairie rifle than my scout.

My inner cheap-ass will disappoint you, I'm currently cross shopping a Ruger American Predator and Savage Axis II in 6.5 Creedmoor. More of a "panic buy", but when I think about it, it's probably a better suited Prairie rifle than my scout.

Do you have weatherby rifles up there for a similar price?

Generally not, but there some exceptions. Shit, one of the reasons I got a Ruger Gunsite Scout was to legally have a 10-shot rifle.
Did any of this new legislation affect the Norinco Type 81? I know it’s not much consolation but we (US) can’t get any more Chinese imports. Not all that heartbreaking with the new shit being shoveled out of there, but the old Chinese weapons are fucking solid. I’d love a Type 81 just for the novelty, not that I wouldn’t put her to work here and there!

Back