Opinion What's your favorite conspiracy / crackpot theory?

On MLK Day, there will be a major announcement involving the assassinations of MLK, JFK, RFK and Malcolm X, issued by over 50 prominent Americans and historic in nature. You will be able to participate. Details to come!

I think we all know what this will be (if it ends up happening)

The flat earth one is hilarious. Crazy to think that some nuts actually believe that.

As someone who, literally flew around 80% the world due to travel mile shenangians, I'm not into it.

For the record: West Coast of the USA, To Europe, to China, at about 22 hours of flight time.

As someone who, literally flew around 80% the world due to travel mile shenangians, I'm not into it.

For the record: West Coast of the USA, To Europe, to China, at about 22 hours of flight time.

What happened to the other 2 hours in the day then, round-earther?

Checkmate.

I find alien and UFO conspiracy theories fun. Those unexplained lights caught on video and reported on by the news that went over Arizona years ago trigger my "I want to believe" reflex. I seldom pay them any mind but once in awhile I take a few paces down that rabbit hole.

JFK CTs are kinda interesting, never been curious enough to really look into them though.

Other than that I only find actual, proven, conspiracies interesting, like business collusion, CIA dealings, etc

I think the latest from TheDunningKrugerKid is one of the best EVA...

Yoga leads to demon possession

giphy.gif

Have Aliens Found Us? A Harvard Astronomer on the Mysterious Interstellar Object ‘Oumuamua
Isaac Chotiner
January 16, 2019 11:06 AM
Chotiner-Oumuamua.jpg

Avi Loeb, the chair of Harvard’s astronomy department, believes that the peculiar nature of the interstellar object called ‘Oumuamua raises questions about its possible origins.
Courtesy ESA/Hubble, NASA, ESO, M. Kornmesser

On October 19, 2017, astronomers at the University of Hawaii spotted a strange object travelling through our solar system, which they later described as “a red and extremely elongated asteroid.” It was the first interstellar object to be detected within our solar system; the scientists named it ‘Oumuamua, the Hawaiian word for a scout or messenger. The following October, Avi Loeb, the chair of Harvard’s astronomy department, co-wrote a paper (with a Harvard postdoctoral fellow, Shmuel Bialy) that examined ‘Oumuamua’s “peculiar acceleration” and suggested that the object “may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth’s vicinity by an alien civilization.” Loeb has long been interested in the search for extraterrestrial life, and he recently made further headlines by suggesting that we might communicate with the civilization that sent the probe. “If these beings are peaceful, we could learn a lot from them,” he told Der Spiegel.

I recently spoke by phone with Loeb, who was frustrated that scientists saw ‘Oumuamua too late in its journey to photograph the object. “My motivation for writing the paper is to alert the community to pay a lot more attention to the next visitor,” he told me. During our conversation, which has been edited and condensed for clarity, we discussed why Loeb thinks we need to consider the possibility that ‘Oumuamua was sent by aliens, the dangers of unscientific speculation, and what belief in an advanced extraterrestrial civilization has in common with faith in God.

Your explanation of why ‘Oumuamua might be an interstellar probe may be hard for laypeople to understand. Why might this be the case, beyond the fact that lots of things are possible?

There is a Scientific American article I wrote where I summarized six strange facts about ‘Oumuamua. The first one is that we didn’t expect this object to exist in the first place. We see the solar system and we can calculate at what rate it ejected rocks during its history. And if we assume all planetary systems around other stars are doing the same thing, we can figure out what the population of interstellar objects should be. That calculation results in a lot of possibilities, but the range is much less than needed to explain the discovery of ‘Oumuamua.

There is another peculiar fact about this object. When you look at all the stars in the vicinity of the sun, they move relative to the sun, the sun moves relative to them, but only one in five hundred stars in that frame is moving as slow as ‘Oumuamua. You would expect that most rocks would move roughly at the speed of the star they came from. If this object came from another star, that star would have to be very special.

What are some of the other strange facts?

When it was discovered, we realized it spins every eight hours, and its brightness changed by at least a factor of ten. The fact that its brightness varies by a factor of ten as it spins means that it is at least ten times longer than it is wide. We don’t have a photo, but, in all the artists’ illustrations that you have seen on the Web, it looks like a cigar. That’s one possibility. But it’s also possible that it’s a pancake-like geometry, and, in fact, that is favored.

What would be the meaning of a pancake-like geometry—

Wait. The most unusual fact about it is that it deviates from an orbit that is shaped purely by the gravitational force of the sun. Usually, in the case of comets, such a deviation is caused by the evaporation of ice on the surface of the comet, creating gases that push the comet, like the rocket effect. That’s what comets show: a cometary tail of evaporated gas. We don’t see a cometary tail here, but, nevertheless, we see a deviation from the expected orbit. And that is the thing that triggered the paper. Once I realized that the object is moving differently than expected, then the question is what gives it the extra push. And, by the way, after our paper appeared, another paper came out with analysis that showed very tight limits on any carbon-based molecules in the vicinity of this object.

What is the significance of that?

It means that there is no evidence of gas that relates to the evaporation of ice. We don’t see the telltale signatures of cometary tail. Moreover, if it was cometary activity, then we would expect the spin period of this object to change, and we don’t see that. All of these things are indicative of the fact that it is nothing like a comet that we have seen before in the solar system. And it is also nothing like an asteroid. Its brightness varies by a factor of ten, and the maximum you typically observe is a factor of three. It has a much more extreme geometry, and there is some other force pushing it. The question is, what’s providing this force, and that was the trigger for our paper.

The only thing that came to my mind is that maybe the light from the sun, as it bounces off its surface, gives it an extra push. It’s just like a wind bouncing off a sail on a sailboat. So we checked that and found that you need the thickness of the object to be less than a millimetre in order for that to work. If it is indeed less than a millimetre thick, if it is pushed by the sunlight, then it is maybe a light sail, and I could not think of any natural process that would make a light sail. It is much more likely that it is being made by artificial means, by a technological civilization.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...e-mysterious-interstellar-object-oumuamua/amp

That guy need to get his noggin checked. Quite literally every bit on info we have about the object says 'yah, it's a rock' and yet this guy keeps banging his drums about it having a 1 in a billion billion billion chance of being something else.

The best crackpot conspiracies are most if not all of the things that people take as common knowledge right now. Especially the reasons and explanations for what is happening all around us.

th

We all do. Come out of the matrix and into the Nexus.

The Reptoids from the 4-D are real.

While I'm here and not getting any sleep, there is a conspiracy theory that just makes me laugh at the victims.

Flat Earth Theory.

I refrain from talking about it as it is a psyop and time waster adventure in how to spend your limited time thinking about total bullshittery when you could actually be making progress in other areas.

The Earth is "Hollow." Trust me.

th

Klendathu missed on their first shot is all

Jeez, where to start?

Moon landing faked
Or
9/11 being an inside job is probably one of my favorite bullshit theories

Or all the mass shootings being faked, most notably, Newtown being a false flag incident. Anyone that believes that garbage is an idiot

Alien-reptilian-face.jpg

Honestly the reptilian one probably the best conspiracy of all, it trickles down to every other conspiracy. How a race of shape shifting lizard people control the world. LOL. The best.

Wha I find creepy though is most old civilizations does have something in there folklore about reptilians or shapeshifters. I live in Hawaii currently and there is the legend about the Mo'o. Shaoeshifting dragon women. I mean come on islands in the middle of the ocean got a similar folklore to people halfway around the world. Not saying it's true but damn it makes a good story.

Democrats are for the people?

His Bigfoot research is completely separate from his work with the Missing 411 series. He never posits a hypothesis in Missing 411, just presents facts.
Not sure if you have seen it, but I just watched the 'Missing 411: Hunted' doc. It is awesome and fascinating to see where this stuff happened and hear from the people. One guy was hunting with his friends, was very close to them in the remote woods, then they heard a strange sound and the guy was gone. They searched the area for like 60 days, the FBU came in and they found nothing. The guy was like 82, could not have gone off, there was no animal that could have taken him without being seen by the others, no blood, no clothing trail, etc. He just vanished. These cases are incredibly common too but are not covered in the news. The only indication of what happened was the guys said they heard the most bizarre sound they have ever heard, nothing they ever heard before, like some electrical other world sound that lasted for a half second and stopped.

Its important people realize this is nothing to do with Paranormal, just an ex detective reporting on the facts of these cases and not saying what he thinks happened.

Not sure if you have seen it, but I just watched the 'Missing 411: Hunted' doc. It is awesome and fascinating to see where this stuff happened and hear from the people. One guy was hunting with his friends, was very close to them in the remote woods, then they heard a strange sound and the guy was gone. They searched the area for like 60 days, the FBU came in and they found nothing. The guy was like 82, could not have gone off, there was no animal that could have taken him without being seen by the others, no blood, no clothing trail, etc. He just vanished. These cases are incredibly common too but are not covered in the news. The only indication of what happened was the guys said they heard the most bizarre sound they have ever heard, nothing they ever heard before, like some electrical other world sound that lasted for a half second and stopped.

Its important people realize this is nothing to do with Paranormal, just an ex detective reporting on the facts of these cases and not saying what he thinks happened.

I've only read the books and listened to his talks, I'll have to watch that. Where can I find it?

Back