What's the best promo in UFC history: UFC 193 or UFC 214

What's the best promo in UFC history?

• Total voters
junior_dos_santos_UFC_FOX_funny1.gif

The story of 214 feels more organic, and has greater impact because if you've followed the sport since Jon Jones arrived you can remember each of those moments, starting from when he said "I never want to do anything to tarnish the sport", and it also brings to memory things like "Damn USADA did a number on these guys" him walking around with a fake belt before the Shogun fight, and also just his unprecedented dominance over pretty much every competitor. It tells the story of Jon Jones career as it actually happened, not the story of Ronda and Holly's life like we imagine it could have played out. Daniel Cormier actually said those things, Jon Jones actually did those things and we've watched it all play out. For Holly vs Ronda the UFC manufactured a narrative, and a good one, and that's what the trailer is about.

DC/Jones created a real organic narrative through everything we've seen these past four years, and the trailer manages to tell that story (albeit largely from Jones' perspective).

It's great. It manages to make Jones look sympathetic, like this is his redemption arc. It also leaves room, and some of the promos for the event that have come out since, for DC to be the hero - the real good guy. It even sets the stage for a possibly trilogy, all in three minutes give or take. That's just well done marketing right there.

The Ronda/Holly one doesn't feel significantly better than Shields/GSP or the UFC New York promo. All it tells us is that those two women fight for a living.

Good post. You argue your position well.

I actually did vote for 214 as the better promo but the 193 promo really did blow me away when I first saw it.

You are projecting your personal dislike or distaste for Ronda into your opinion on the UFC 193 promo. None of the scenes in the 193 promo are false--they were all based on real life events from Ronda's and Holly's lives. It was designed to engage the casuals within Ronda's fanbase (hence, it was first released by Ellen, a popular USA talk show host). It worked because UFC 193 generated 1.1 million PPV buys. The promo was so well received it earned a Sports Emmy Award nomination (the first of its kind for the UFC). Based on your assessment, how would you have sold 193 through a promo that could have achieved a 1.1 million PPV buyrate and a national award nomination?

This x 1000

Good post. You argue your position well.

I actually did vote for 214 as the better promo but the 193 promo really did blow me away when I first saw it.

UFC 193 is really really well done, I quite like it. And I saw it after the fight actually happened, and it didn't take anything away at all.

But while 193 probably did a great job creating hype, I lean towards the one that creates a story - because that's what fight sports are all about. The differences between DC and Jon Jones by themselves sell the fight, and the UFC basically just relying on that through their quotes and clips not hyperbole or made up scenes (not that either of those are inherently bad), or cuts of people walking through hallways makes the 214 one special to me.

193 is INSANELY overrated. It's so goofy and dumb, ronda AMBARRING a teddy bear, please.

214 is amazing every single time i see it.

Trailer ends with a pleading Jon Jones "I just want to get my life back" or whatever
Could have left us with the impression that he's just a heel, instead the obvious story is that he was a 23 year old who got too much too soon (not a unique story) and has a chance to prove that he's a good person that makes mistakes, not a bad person.

Trailer ends with a pleading Jon Jones "I just want to get my life back" or whatever
Could have left us with the impression that he's just a heel, instead the obvious story is that he was a 23 year old who got too much too soon (not a unique story) and has a chance to prove that he's a good person that makes mistakes, not a bad person.

I know that's their angle lol I just scoff at the idea of anyone buying anything Jones says.

UFC 193 is really really well done, I quite like it. And I saw it after the fight actually happened, and it didn't take anything away at all.

But while 193 probably did a great job creating hype, I lean towards the one that creates a story - because that's what fight sports are all about. The differences between DC and Jon Jones by themselves sell the fight, and the UFC basically just relying on that through their quotes and clips not hyperbole or made up scenes (not that either of those are inherently bad), or cuts of people walking through hallways makes the 214 one special to me.

Well I would say that it's that very thing--the storytelling aspect--that really gripped me when I first watched the 193 promo. In just a few minutes, though reenactments, it gives us the nutshell version of each fighter's journey up to that moment. And I think it's all done in a very artistic manner. From a filmmaking standpoint, the it just looks good and is skillfully directed. It also doesn't hurt that Rousey's own real-life sister plays her as well.

But like I said, I do really enjoy the 214 promo as well. It does the same thing really--tells the story of these two fighters--but it takes a different approach, relying mostly on archival material instead of reenactments.

Each is very effective.

I accidentally voted 193, because I was thinking of 194, but in reality it was made for 189...

I guess I'm a clear minority, but I didn't think the UFC 214 promo was that great.
They to much focus on Jones being a criminal.
Ufc 193 was alot better, but

This one is the best promo!

Bwahaha! Holy shit, that was fucking awesome!

I've never seen that.
I saw that commercial the day before the event and I was on the fence about buying this event and this commercial literally pushed me to buy it lol. It reminded me of the monster truck commercials from when I was a little kid

It's okay, but the best? I mean, all it is is GSP and Hendricks throwing some techniques under dramatic lighting spliced with some footage from their fights. And and a rap song.

You're not seeing a lot of the subtleties. The way they show Hendricks throwing with power and knocking down contenders, then showing GSP (with much less lighting and its darker around his body) look like a mystery (how the fuck can you beat him?). I feel like to just call it "throwing some techniques with a rap song" or whatever is kinda silly. it wasn't DC vs Rumble "MAKE THE GROUND SHAKE" tier.

You're not seeing a lot of the subtleties. The way they show Hendricks throwing with power and knocking down contenders, then showing GSP (with much less lighting and its darker around his body) look like a mystery (how the fuck can you beat him?). I feel like to just call it "throwing some techniques with a rap song" or whatever is kinda silly. it wasn't DC vs Rumble "MAKE THE GROUND SHAKE" tier.

Don't get me wrong. It's quite well done for what it is. But what it is is so much more basic than something like the 214 promo.

Back