What's the best promo in UFC history: UFC 193 or UFC 214

What's the best promo in UFC history?

• Total voters
The Ronda one is better

Both are built for hype purposes. The very word "promo" tells us this.

I think the 193 promo is very well done from an artistic standpoint and it does a good job of encapsulating each fighter's personal journey up to that point.

The story of 214 feels more organic, and has greater impact because if you've followed the sport since Jon Jones arrived you can remember each of those moments, starting from when he said "I never want to do anything to tarnish the sport", and it also brings to memory things like "Damn USADA did a number on these guys" him walking around with a fake belt before the Shogun fight, and also just his unprecedented dominance over pretty much every competitor. It tells the story of Jon Jones career as it actually happened, not the story of Ronda and Holly's life like we imagine it could have played out. Daniel Cormier actually said those things, Jon Jones actually did those things and we've watched it all play out. For Holly vs Ronda the UFC manufactured a narrative, and a good one, and that's what the trailer is about.

DC/Jones created a real organic narrative through everything we've seen these past four years, and the trailer manages to tell that story (albeit largely from Jones' perspective).

It's great. It manages to make Jones look sympathetic, like this is his redemption arc. It also leaves room, and some of the promos for the event that have come out since, for DC to be the hero - the real good guy. It even sets the stage for a possibly trilogy, all in three minutes give or take. That's just well done marketing right there.

The Ronda/Holly one doesn't feel significantly better than Shields/GSP or the UFC New York promo. All it tells us is that those two women fight for a living.

There's never been a good UFC promo.

My favorite commercial for a UFC event:

Trailer is disingenuous in hindsight. If she embodied a fraction of the greatness they were trying to push in that trailer she would have responded better after the holly defeat. Hiding your face, crying on Ellen, refusing to do media, then of course getting tko'd in a minute against Nunes. How can you say there isn't hyperbole in that trailer and then cite her wins (she fought Bethe Correa, really?) as a justification for that type of promo. Her success is circumstantial. No one in the mma community thought she was elite outside of her judo but the world was sold, because of phony trailers like that, that she was this trancendetal star. Give me a break.

You are projecting your personal dislike or distaste for Ronda into your opinion on the UFC 193 promo. None of the scenes in the 193 promo are false--they were all based on real life events from Ronda's and Holly's lives. It was designed to engage the casuals within Ronda's fanbase (hence, it was first released by Ellen, a popular USA talk show host). It worked because UFC 193 generated 1.1 million PPV buys. The promo was so well received it earned a Sports Emmy Award nomination (the first of its kind for the UFC). Based on your assessment, how would you have sold 193 through a promo that could have achieved a 1.1 million PPV buyrate and a national award nomination?

214 because I was already way over the Ronda bullshit when they came up with that.

UFC 214 is much better I think

I think 214 is slightly better, but I think 193 was extremely legit in its own right and not "white knight hyperbolic bullshit". Believe me, if I thought it was those things I'd say so.

It seems like the UFC literally deleted it, but my personal favorite is the 165 promo with Buffer and Goldberg's heads exploding.

Simply the most WTF promo ever, and I loved it.

What are you talking about? Don't deviate from the argument as to which promo is better.

What am I talking about? It should be obvious what I'm talking about, since you're the one who called her "manufactured," as if the UFC just pulled a random girl off the street and said, "Listen kid, we're gonna make you a star!"

I'm saying that Ronda manufactured herself. All the UFC did was recognize the star power that was already there and take advantage of it, which they were able to do to the tune of millions and millions of dollars.

But if we have to go there: Ronda benefited from D-level competition in a new division. The UFC gave her a push. The white girl, blonde hair, blue eyes helped her become a media darling. ESPN manufactured her greatness. And so on and so forth. She is self-made to a point like any other fighter, but she got help along the way that propelled her into the mainstream. The UFC 193 promo captures all of that. It's just disingenious. It's a fairy tale. It was then and it's even more so now. The UFC 214 promo is better because it's RAW and REAL.

Ronda's impact on the sport was massive. Without her, there probably would not even be womens' divisions in the UFC.

Yes, you're right that fighters today seem to have passed her by, but it's no different from how guys like GSP overtook guys like Matt Hughes. And like Hughes himself overtook guys like Royce. Every era has its best fighters, and Ronda was the best of her era. In fact, Ronda defined that era.

Never seen that 193 promo, thanks for sharing ts.

oyxh2.gif

Showed my fiancée the promo for Jones/Cormier and she thought it was for a movie lol.

Ha, that's funny.

this is the best promo.

It's okay, but the best? I mean, all it is is GSP and Hendricks throwing some techniques under dramatic lighting spliced with some footage from their fights. And and a rap song.

It's okay, but the best? I mean, all it is is GSP and Hendricks throwing some techniques under dramatic lighting spliced with some footage from their fights. And and a rap song.
but its a dope rap song

Back