What's the best promo in UFC history: UFC 193 or UFC 214

What's the best promo in UFC history?

• Total voters
G

Guestx

We all know the standard UFC promo formula: Action shots of the fighters training and fighting with Rogan in the background going "Ohhhhhhh!" and "This just might be the biggest fight in UFC history!"

And I'm sure that most of us have noticed that of late they have been trying to break free of that, at least for the biggest fights, and do something that is more cinematic and compelling.

The first time I really noticed this was for UFC 193. That promo really blew me away. I was like, "Holy shit, this is good!" And now we have the 214 promo, which is also really damn good and surprisingly honest.

So I ask, what do you think is the best promo in UFC history? 193? 214? Or dare I ask, something else?

Let us know. And if you DO think it's something else, then fucking post that shit and make your case!

UFC 193

UFC 214

214 has a lot of emotional weight to it.
193 was some manufactured hype bull shit.

One is much better than the other.

214 has a lot of emotional weight to it.
193 was some manufactured hype bull shit.

One is much better than the other.

Both are built for hype purposes. The very word "promo" tells us this.

I think the 193 promo is very well done from an artistic standpoint and it does a good job of encapsulating each fighter's personal journey up to that point.

Both are built for hype purposes. The very word "promo" tells us this.

I think the 193 promo is very well done from an artistic standpoint and it does a good job of encapsulating each fighter's personal journey up to that point.

There is a fundamental difference between HYPING up the fight and HYPING up a manufactured superstar in Ronda. That was the point that you seem to have missed. The emotional weight of the rematch between DC and Jones--both men's legacy is on the line is better than Ronda Rousey---a manufactured superstar's-- personal journey.

Absolutely not 193, that was just hyperbole bullshit. This is still my favorite:

There is a fundamental difference between HYPING up the fight and HYPING up a manufactured superstar in Ronda. That was the point that you seem to have missed. The emotional weight of the rematch between DC and Jones--both men's legacy is on the line is better than Ronda Rousey---a manufactured superstar's-- personal journey.

One thing you can't take away from Ronda is that she's self-made. No one gave her an Olympic medal. No one handed her 12 straight wins, 8 of which were in title fights.

And yes, she was a superstar. She sold tickets. People wanted to see her. People were inspired by her.

If you don't like Ronda, that's fine. But she worked her ass off to achieve the success she achieved and no one can take that away from her.

One thing you can't take away from Ronda is that she's self-made. No one gave her an Olympic medal. No one handed her 12 straight wins, 8 of which were in title fights.

And yes, she was a superstar. She sold tickets. People wanted to see her. People were inspired by her.

If you don't like Ronda, that's fine. But she worked her ass off to achieve the success she achieved and no one can take that away from her.

What are you talking about? Don't deviate from the argument as to which promo is better.

But if we have to go there: Ronda benefited from D-level competition in a new division. The UFC gave her a push. The white girl, blonde hair, blue eyes helped her become a media darling. ESPN manufactured her greatness. And so on and so forth. She is self-made to a point like any other fighter, but she got help along the way that propelled her into the mainstream. The UFC 193 promo captures all of that. It's just disingenious. It's a fairy tale. It was then and it's even more so now. The UFC 214 promo is better because it's RAW and REAL.

They're both great trailers. I think 214 edges it.

193 isn't bullshit or hyperbole like people are saying though. What Ronda Rousey did WAS great. She had a hyper aggressive style and plowed through the competition in record-breaking time. Even if you consider her competition to be weak, the way in which she beat them is undeniably impressive. Decisions are extremely common in WMMA. Yet, Ronda never did and never will go to a decision. Her obvious flaw, as a fighter, lies in her standup skills. But the trailer doesn't at any point claim that she's some great striker. It appropriately promotes her as the Judo fighter that she is/was.

Never seen that 193 promo, thanks for sharing ts.

But 214 is great. Really well directed and shows the hate between the two. Showed my fiancée the promo for Jones/Cormier and she thought it was for a movie lol.

They're both great trailers. I think 214 edges it.

193 isn't bullshit or hyperbole like people are saying though. What Ronda Rousey did WAS great. She had a hyper aggressive style and plowed through the competition in record-breaking time. Even if you consider her competition to be weak, the way in which she beat them is undeniably impressive. Decisions are extremely common in WMMA. Yet, Ronda never did and never will go to a decision. Her obvious flaw, as a fighter, lies in her standup skills. But the trailer doesn't at any point claim that she's some great striker. It appropriately promotes her as the Judo fighter that she is/was.

Trailer is disingenuous in hindsight. If she embodied a fraction of the greatness they were trying to push in that trailer she would have responded better after the holly defeat. Hiding your face, crying on Ellen, refusing to do media, then of course getting tko'd in a minute against Nunes. How can you say there isn't hyperbole in that trailer and then cite her wins (she fought Bethe Correa, really?) as a justification for that type of promo. Her success is circumstantial. No one in the mma community thought she was elite outside of her judo but the world was sold, because of phony trailers like that, that she was this trancendetal star. Give me a break.

Promo UFC 202 for me is the best. I watched 100 times and still watching sometimes

UFC 193 promo =

200_s.gif

UFC 214 promo =

whoa.gif

acb.jpg

Put Jones(Nate Diaz) and Cormier(McGregor) in promo UFC 202 and it would be better then this learning history we all now in promo 214

193 simply because of the music.

Not to mention, I don't need some type of narrative that 214 is trying to sell me.

Last edited:
My favorite was UFC 129. It made Shields look like an absolute beast.

214 for me.cause theres a real back story with it. most real mama fans knew holly was gonna light ronda up,but she had the same advantage royce had in the first ufc,her grappling skills where legit world class. everybody else was playing catch up.

Back