What was the best ground fight ever?

Maia vs Gunnar Nelson was good Nelson defended well but ultimately no match..

Maia vs MacDonald was amazing b cause Jason had absolutely no fear of Maia's grappling and was extremely aggressive. He just attacked Maia and even though he lost, he put Maia in worse spots on the groubd than he had been in any of his fight before or since.

If you just want to see a grappling clinic.. IF you can find it..

Carlos "The Ronin" Newton Vs. Kazushi Sakuraba in Pride.

They started out throwing a few punches here and there, but they just decided to just grapple.

EPIC.

This is the correct answer

Jaochim Hansen vs caol uno in k1 mma was a great fight. Real slick guard passing by uno.

worth a mention
200.gif
Man I still couldn't believe my eyes... man o man

Anyone who hasn't seen Demian Maia vs Jason MacDonald at UFC 87 should treat themselves to this back-and-forth ground battle with top level jiu jitsu shown by both

BigNog/Barnett 1 and 2 had some awesome grappling

It might not be the best ever, but Nguyen vs Smolka had everything in terms of grappling. Crazy transitions for the whole fight.

Yes! That's the recent example I was struggling to think of. Was gonna say - a recent fight with two smaller dudes looked like in was in fast forward with non-stop ground transitions. I agree, it is likely not the nest ever but was top of mind (sort of ha) for me.

There's one fight that immediately comes to mind... I just can't recall the participants. It was largely chained subs and reversals and escapes, lots of technical rolling, it was a clinic on both sides, just beautiful.
Someone will name it and I'll go "that was it!"
Newton sakuraba?

Back