What was the best ground fight ever?

Royce Saku 2 - 90 minute battle

It might not be the best ever, but Nguyen vs Smolka had everything in terms of grappling. Crazy transitions for the whole fight.

There's one fight that immediately comes to mind... I just can't recall the participants. It was largely chained subs and reversals and escapes, lots of technical rolling, it was a clinic on both sides, just beautiful.
Someone will name it and I'll go "that was it!"

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit.

Saku and aoki deserve mention for their fights

Check out Charles Oliveira vs. Hatsu hioki. Two very high level grapplers going at it.

It's been so long I can't recall the whole fight.. but I remember Nog vs Couture being a great fight. It was mix stand up and ground. More specifically I remember Nogs ground game being so damn good in that fight. Nog was smooth and one step a head, where as Randy did a good job escaping and doing just enough to stay a live.

I should rewatch. Sometimes things aren't always as you remember.

There's one fight that immediately comes to mind... I just can't recall the participants. It was largely chained subs and reversals and escapes, lots of technical rolling, it was a clinic on both sides, just beautiful.

Some of my favourites:

Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald
Nick Diaz vs. Diego Sanchez
Luke Cummo vs. Joe Stephensen (underrated imo)

Did not last long, but imo :

If it's not available then use proxy

worth a mention
200.gif

Hideo Tokoro

As the good man stated above me.....i concur.

This was the first fight that got me interested in mma, before it as I didn't understand the ground game I found it boring, but that fight I could see two amazing masters at work and got hooked!

I remember an extremely underrated ground fight being Bendo vs Guida, it wasn't aired thanks to the UFC on Fox debut show with just one fight, but it was terrific.

Back