What was the best ground fight ever?

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Most picks for GOAT fight are stand-up slugfests. What is the best fight you've seen that took place primarily on the ground?

I'll start with Demian Maia vs. Jason Macdonald.

Maia vs Shields was fun in terms of technical skills and how good both are

There's one fight that immediately comes to mind... I just can't recall the participants. It was largely chained subs and reversals and escapes, lots of technical rolling, it was a clinic on both sides, just beautiful.
Someone will name it and I'll go "that was it!"

If you just want to see a grappling clinic.. IF you can find it..

Carlos "The Ronin" Newton Vs. Kazushi Sakuraba in Pride.

They started out throwing a few punches here and there, but they just decided to just grapple.

EPIC.

As the good man stated above me.....i concur.

I also enjoyed Mighty Mouse/Torres but that's not too popular if I recall. I thought Miguel should have won that even though he spent so much time on the bottom.

Lesnar vs Mir 2
14o2mj9.jpg

I like Saku/Newton.
A lot more catch and weird positions, not pure BJJ.
I enjoy this style, but it's hard to find places that train this way. BJJ instructors get pissed when you avoid rolling and advancing the basic positions.

Even though they were bloody messes, Miller vs Lauzon (first fight) was some pretty good stuff too.
I thought DHK vs Nate Diaz was interesting too, also very high level.

Michinori Tanaka vs Kyung Ho Kang was a lot of fun

As the good man stated above me.....i concur.

GREAT find!!! You've got to give credit to the referee also. He recognized that this was something special and just let them go.

fedor vs nogueira 2 (that ended in a NC from a headbutt) was shaping up to be brilliant. the first fight fedor just beat the shit out of him from the guard, in the rematch nogueira made the adjustments and came after him far more aggressively. i honestly think that would've been one of the best fights, if they hadn't clashed heads.

in the third fight fedor just outboxed him easily and that was that.

as far as modern mma, anything that involves demian maia is a sight to behold.

Mishima vs Ralph was pretty damn fun.

Back