What was the best ground fight ever?

There's one fight that immediately comes to mind... I just can't recall the participants. It was largely chained subs and reversals and escapes, lots of technical rolling, it was a clinic on both sides, just beautiful.
Someone will name it and I'll go "that was it!"

Newton / Vassell

Ortega / Tavares

Last edited:
As the good man stated above me.....i concur.

Such a crazy grappling match. Two ridiculously skilled grapplers, a ton of mutual respect, and a few good sub attempts and rolls before the kneebar. I love that fight.

If you just want to see a grappling clinic.. IF you can find it..

Carlos "The Ronin" Newton Vs. Kazushi Sakuraba in Pride.

They started out throwing a few punches here and there, but they just decided to just grapple.

EPIC.

I should have read, like, 5 posts before I bothered to post the same thing. That fight was glorious, and you can definitely find it online.

I should have read, like, 5 posts before I bothered to post the same thing. That fight was glorious, and you can definitely find it online.

I posted it on the first page if you would like to view it.

I posted it on the first page if you would like to view it.

Mental Note: Read the first damn page of a thread before going straight to posting.

Thanks for putting the vid up. I haven't seen that fight in ages and this thread immediately made me want to watch it again.

Edit: fights like this are evidence for the reason I preferred the "no elbows on the ground" rule. The grappling exchanges in Pride were often epic, partially, as a result.

If you just want to see a grappling clinic.. IF you can find it..

Carlos "The Ronin" Newton Vs. Kazushi Sakuraba in Pride.

They started out throwing a few punches here and there, but they just decided to just grapple.

EPIC.
Yes. Came to say this. There is no other correct answer

Yes. Came to say this. There is no other correct answer

And the Japanese crowd added so much to fights like this. How they'd watch, quietly, and erupt as soon as someone made a small postion change that opened up possibilities. God I miss Pride...threads like these remind me how much I miss it...

It's been so long I can't recall the whole fight.. but I remember Nog vs Couture being a great fight. It was mix stand up and ground. More specifically I remember Nogs ground game being so damn good in that fight. Nog was smooth and one step a head, where as Randy did a good job escaping and doing just enough to stay a live.

I should rewatch. Sometimes things aren't always as you remember.
Loved that fight

Nog had couture in all sorts

Dacre choke arm triangle mount gnp etc

It's been so long I can't recall the whole fight.. but I remember Nog vs Couture being a great fight. It was mix stand up and ground. More specifically I remember Nogs ground game being so damn good in that fight. Nog was smooth and one step a head, where as Randy did a good job escaping and doing just enough to stay a live.

I should rewatch. Sometimes things aren't always as you remember.
Good mention on the Big Nog vs Randy fight.

BTW - whatever happened to the girl from your av? Is she still around. Remember her being a huge sensation back in like 2004-2005ish.

I know it might not have been one of the best ground fights but I really did enjoy Gunnar Nelson vs Damian Maia.

Back