What u guys think of Cormier's performance against Jones on their first fight?

He did everything he could but it wasn't enough. The rematch will be very good especially with Jones coming off a long lay off and with new usada rules.

Do you think now that DC knows Jones can out-wrestle him, that Jones won't be able to out-wrestle him for some reason?

Perhaps DC underestimated Jones' wrestling game the first time around and was not as prepared as he could have been. I'd say there is a good chance DC can make the necessary adjustments. We will see.

Perhaps DC underestimated Jones' wrestling game the first time around and was not as prepared as he could have been. I'd say there is a good chance DC can make the necessary adjustments. We will see.

the people who have discounted the notion that DC can make the necessary adjustments (there are a lot of them) are simply daft.

DC wants it bad. i am excited to see what he does with his 2nd chance.

As a whole Jones clearly won the fight by a decent margin.

Under MMA scoring its pretty close. You can easily give 2 & 3 to DC and 5 was so uneventful that DC could have stolen the round if he gor ontop of jones after picking him up.

Dc did good 1 and 2 then jones dominated everywhere

DC got tired in those championship rounds, if Jones is out of shape in the rematch that might be the deciding factor this time. DC had some decent clinch work but fought way too hard to try and get takedowns in the first match.
Yah aint it funny, the roles are reversed here:

Cormier was rusty for champ 5 rounder fights before, having no UFC title experience, and now Jones is coming off a massive layoff, must be a mental wreck with all that's went on (roids bust/legal troubles/Mom died) and now he has to "beat the champ". In close rounds, Cormier will get the nod, like Jones did last time, as he's the champ.

Honestly, that fight could have gone to DC with a variation of 1/2/3/5 (all close rounds) and I dont think it would have been a robbery. We have seen way worse in the UFC. Jones controlled the emotion of the fight but it was super close. People think it was a 'blow out' because DC was expected to "out wrestle JBJ" and didn't, and it was so dang close then Jones won the fourth easily and seemed to be "pulling away".

DC was desperate from the gettgo.3 first round where kinda close but dc lost clearly me think

the people who have discounted the notion that DC can make the necessary adjustments (there are a lot of them) are simply daft.

DC wants it bad. I am excited to see what he does with his 2nd chance.

I agree. DC and JBJ are almost opposites. DC has had to really put in the work over his wrestling and MMA career. Not to say that JBJ has not put in the work, but he came in with a skill set that trumped everyone he fought. It is human nature that it could make him complacent. DC is not complacent.

I think DC takes this fight for a number of reasons.

Placed my largest ever bet on DC to win so my judgement could be clouded but I was disappointed in him. I thought he'd beat Jones I won't lie.

He was a little too cautious and just didn't go for it 100 percent.
He blew his wad going to TD's, not sure if I'd call that "cautious", more like a bad gameplan.

The way I remember it (haven't rewatched it), either the first or second round was pretty competitive, and then DC just seemed tired/defeated/at a loss. Last round Jones coasted.

I agree. DC and JBJ are almost opposites. DC has had to really put in the work over his wrestling and MMA career. Not to say that JBJ has not put in the work, but he came in with a skill set that trumped everyone he fought. It is human nature that it could make him complacent. DC is not complacent.

I think DC takes this fight for a number of reasons.
DC couldn't make weight in his last fight, not sure if that's the sign of a lack of effort in his dieting or his body just can't take the cutting anymore.
Personally, I think his body is shutting down and he will have an even harder cut to 205 this time.
Jones fighting a depleted DC will make for a rough night for Daniel.

Cormier lost the fight because a) he didn't know how to counter kicks and b) because he didn't know how to deal with clinch knees. This is what drained him.

He absolutely did. He was mentally beat as well. I remember in between rounds, think it was before the 4th round, his coach was giving him some instructions and DC just said "I'm trying" and sounded so deflated...that was the round where Jones started to really pull ahead too.
Yeah he was tired.

I watched it live and felt like DC did poorly because he could not land TDs..
But rewatched recently and thought DC did well.. He took rnds 2 and 3 imo. Rnd 1 was close but gave it to Jon because of td off the kick like Lois said, though it didn't amount to much.
Rnd 4 clearly Jon..
Even going into Rnd 5, which was another close one but I have to go to Jones.
Mostly I noticed that Jon looked like he was hungover and did not want to be there, while DC looked more motivated.
Jones eats his heart in the rematch I think.
Hungover for the biggest fight of his career? Lol

DC couldn't make weight in his last fight, not sure if that's the sign of a lack of effort in his dieting or his body just can't take the cutting anymore.
Personally, I think his body is shutting down and he will have an even harder cut to 205 this time.

or he makes the necessary changes, starting last month, to avoid that situation in the first place. i mean, DC seems like a pretty smart guy. he's had to learn from his mistakes all his life.

i don't see Cormier doing like the last 10 seconds of

I felt like he came close early to landing good shots but by the end it was clear who the better fighter was. John controlled the distance and where the fight took place. DC closed the gap a little better than most but still got clearly beaten.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/...wel-incident-hardest-weight-cut-of-his-career
“This was the hardest one by far,” Cormier continued. “I think the beginning of my 205-pound career was easier because I was fighting so often. Like, if you remember, I fought Patrick Cummins, then I fought Dan Henderson, then I fought (Jon) Jones and I fought (Alexander) Gustafsson, ‘Rumble.’ They were all within the first year-and-a-half. So every three or four months, I was fighting; whereas now, after Gustafsson, it was like nine months (until UFC 200), and then this time again it was like eight months. So it’s just a lot of time between fights. Just, I need to be a little more active, so that my weight doesn’t get as high, and also my body gets used to the weight cut again.”​

i hope i'm right and he does do what's necessary to avoid weigh-in issues. starting last month.

Last edited:
Hungover for the biggest fight of his career? Lol

According to him! In many recent interviews he's said he would always go out on a bender before a fight so that if he lost he could excuse it as he wasn't at 100%

Back