What u guys think of Cormier's performance against Jones on their first fight?

I feel DC under estimated Jonez wrestling in the first encounter. I think if Jonez makes it to fight night, DC will have a better game plan.

He didn't look like DC. He looked flustered and nervous. I think all the buildup got to him.

Cormier gassed and looked like Jones was in his head. I expect a totally different fight in the rematch.

It was kind of a bad performance, he ran straight at jones and took a lot of damage

Wasnt that bad actually, landed some shots and stuff... But yeah, Jones was the better man. Controlled the fight well, landed the better shots and takedowns.

Whats your assesement of the fight?

Yeah it was kind of surprising, I thought Cormier was getting the better of most of the striking exchanges. Jones was effective catching Cormier off guard with some well timed takedowns.
Eventually Cormier couldn't keep up the pace, but he definitely didn't look outclassed.

They looked pretty even ability wise, with Jones getting a slight edge on endurance, and ability to disguise his TD's.

He did look as good as you can look vs the goat, but he must have been pretty demoralized after Jones took him down
Jon%2BJones%2BTakes%2BDown%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

tumblr_nhno82LfVq1u2ragso1_500.gif

Agreed. And it inspired JBJ. You can't underestimate the mental part of this game while engaged in combat.

My biggest gripe on DC's performance was his choice to dump tons of energy trying to prove he could TD Jones. It was well beyond the point where a TD would accomplish anything, and into "puncher's chance" territory, but he kept pushing for it. Getting beaten is one thing, but squandering what chance you do have just to prove a point is a mental lapse imo.

DC put up a valiant effort. Jones clearly won, but DC did better than everyone but Gus. I'm afraid his age has caught up to him though so I don't see him looking as good this time around.

He didn't look like DC. He looked flustered and nervous. I think all the buildup got to him.

Yeah, he looked hesitant at times, but Jones has a fucking 12" reach advantage over him. I don't want to sound overly 'critical' sitting behind my screen, but I felt that Cormier had a Faber like strategy nearing the end of the fight, by that I mean he didn't really up the tempo in the last round and go for it and knew he was down on the scorecards, but I think a lot of fighters in grudge matches are content to lose by a decision instead of risking getting finished.

I think Jones has refined himself more since he became the Champion and isn't the same Jones who was running through folk early in his career. I watched the fight again a while back and it was a bit better than when I watched it live, but Jones dealt with him handily enough and Cormier hasn't really evolved much since that fight, imo. He landed a couple of good shots and when they were clinched up he was landing some nice short uppercuts.

I find it hard to see how Cormier will beat him with anything other than a big haymaker dropping him. Jones is just so much more unorthodox and he knows he can take Cormier down and obviously Cormier knows that as well. I thought the 1st round was poor, but it's a 5 round fight and they're bigger lads who have to pace themselves and it seemed like Cormier took the 4th round off as he looked tired.

Even though I was watching a replay of the fight, I thought Cormier was conserving his energy for the last round and put the pressure on Jones in the 5th, but he didn't do as much as I thought he originally did.

DC has probably been taken down a millon times in wrestling so I think he was fine.

Obviously he has, but the whole beef between Jones and DC originated from Jones alledgedly meeting DC for the first time, and starting the conversation by saying "I bet I can take you down", which pissed DC off. Jones then proceeding to do so a minute into the fight, I honestly don't think DC liked that at all, and I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that he got a bit shook by that.

Has him winning two of the first three rounds, if he can keep a good pace throughout the fight I wouldn't be surprised if he wins.

Back