What knife did you carry today?

only 14 year old wannabe thugs carries knives around here

its sure helped me a lot in my job. It helps loosen ropes (I work on boats a lot), pry shit open (helped me repair a guitar amp yesterday), cut things, its also helpful because I'm an upper middle-class white boy who sometimes use public transport or runs an illegal cab in one of the more dangerous countries in the world.

I use it for cutting stuff of course...I've used it to baton with, build traps and dress game, probably open a can here and there as well.

Man, that was a tough choice between this the SOG Tech and 2.0 bowies, the bottom line for me was the weight this knife weighs under 6 oz with a .188 thick blade, its just super fast in hand. I love everything about it except the Zytel grip, but for a throw in on a trade I can't complain.

I'm afraid to baton with the Tech Bowie, that tip looks pretty delicate and I wouldn't really want to smack the spine and risk accidentally hitting the tip. I actually picked up an ESEE 5 a while back and that served as my camp/survival knife this past summer. My Tech Bowie is pretty much a safe queen...one with wear marks from constant unsheathing and sheathing.

I'm afraid to baton with the Tech Bowie, that tip looks pretty delicate and I wouldn't really want to smack the spine and risk accidentally hitting the tip. I actually picked up an ESEE 5 a while back and that served as my camp/survival knife this past summer. My Tech Bowie is pretty much a safe queen...one with wear marks from constant unsheathing and sheathing.

Man that ESEE 5 is nice, really good knife, great knife actually.

I consider it in a different class than the smaller Master Hunter/Seal Pup's because of its weight.

That company is really a great one though (ESEE) knives made by Rowen are all great (TOPS Too) and 1095 Steel keeps a really good edge, plus that lifetime warranty.

I have a TOPS Screaming Eagle that I take camping when discretion is called upon and I can't carry one of the big Choppers.

Yeah you know, I ain't going to persuade you not to get the Rajah thats a great walkabout/bushbashing/wrong side of town at night knife. It actually rides better in the pocket imo, than the Spartan even though it dwarfs it.

With that said, I got to go outside and enjoy the day in desert today, I carried my Little Seal Pup Elite, love this thing when I can carry it...

13446630.jpg

I love this blade I wish they made one that was within legal limit. I need a good fixed blade to carry around. For some reason people don't like me carrying my Karambit around. WTF?

Man that ESEE 5 is nice, really good knife, great knife actually.

I consider it in a different class than the smaller Master Hunter/Seal Pup's because of its weight.

That company is really a great one though (ESEE) knives made by Rowen are all great (TOPS Too) and 1095 Steel keeps a really good edge, plus that lifetime warranty.

I have a TOPS Screaming Eagle that I take camping when discretion is called upon and I can't carry one of the big Choppers.

I don't consider an ESEE 5 to be in the same class as a Seal Pup either, but you did mention batoning which is why I brought it up. I'd consider the Seal Pup and Tech Bowie to be fighting/utility knives, and not so much survival knives. In my mind, the top criteria for a survival knife are shelter and fire craft; so basically a chopper & splitter, but not as big and heavy or singularly purposed as an axe or hatchet. On the other hand, I think knives like the Seal Pup, Tech Bowie, Kabar USMC, etc. are primarily fighting blades but are versatile enough to be pressed into other roles if absolutely necessary.

Speaking of which, I did want to buy a SOG Creed for a while, to serve as a chopping knife, but the leather sheath was a deal breaker for me. I ended up getting the ESEE 5 instead.

I think I'll most certainly pick up that Cold Steel Rajah II when my next paycheque arrives; it'll serve as another fun knife, and I may even pick up the Cold Steel Brooklyn Smasher/Crusher at the same time, for actual home defense.

So I went ahead and picked up the CS Rajah II and Brooklyn Smasher today, they are awesome and as RAZOR said, for such a big knife, the Rajah II carries well. I also recently found out over the weekend that my site supervisor doesn't care if I substitute my 5.11 Taclite Pro pants instead of the cargo pants we're issued, so here's me playing around with a 3 knife "rig" (in reality, I'll have 5 blades with this set up, but whatever):

EnduraSpartanRajahII.jpg

Pictured above are the Spyderco Endura 4 Wave, Cold Steel Spartan and Rajah II. Here are all the knives I own to date, for the sake of comparison:

Dec62010-AllKnives.jpg

Jlag, for the love of god I hope you never get stopped by the cops.

So I went ahead and picked up the CS Rajah II and Brooklyn Smasher today, they are awesome and as RAZOR said, for such a big knife, the Rajah II carries well. I also recently found out over the weekend that my site supervisor doesn't care if I substitute my 5.11 Taclite Pro pants instead of the cargo pants we're issued, so here's me playing around with a 3 knife "rig" (in reality, I'll have 5 blades with this set up, but whatever):

EnduraSpartanRajahII.jpg

Pictured above are the Spyderco Endura 4 Wave, Cold Steel Spartan and Rajah II. Here are all the knives I own to date, for the sake of comparison:

Dec62010-AllKnives.jpg

Just wait until you break that Rajah in, you'll always find yourself asking, "Should I bring it?"

I am getting one of these for xmas.
TS-TCS91WAS_540.jpg

37" 25.7oz really close to a bat.

Do some fun stuff with that smasher and post some pics, I've seen one in person go through a cinder block.

When I get old, I'm carrying a Cold Steel Sword Cane:

Neighbourhood watch and mall patrol; God help someone that steals a TV on my watch.

That is awesome. I L'd my AO...

Todays Knife...

TPWAB01.jpg

God help me, the more I carry this knife the more I love it.

Didn't carry this today, but did buy it today.

g10karambit.jpg

Picked up steve taranis karambit book as well as a trainer too.

Didn't carry this today, but did buy it today.

g10karambit.jpg

Picked up steve taranis karambit book as well as a trainer too.

Do you have the Tarani folder? I was given one from my Kali instructor and I wasn't impressed with the design. The steel is good though.

No, I'm kind of wary of a folder unless it's waved. Would give one a go though - I carry a folder now and it's not ideal for deployment.

A Smith and Wesson HRT. I just carried it as a tool though, not for self defense. That's what my .357 is for.

Back