What knife did you carry today?

jlagman, do you seriously plan on carrying 5 blades at once? What possible use could you have for that many?

As a side not not directed at anybody in particular I prefer to carry knives that aren't too scary or tacticool looking in case me and my knife end up in front of a jury some day.

Smith and Wesson and most other cheap knives from gun companies are made in China. I wouldn't trust one to cut a piece of yarn.

However I do trust my S&W M&P 9mm with my life.

jlagman, do you seriously plan on carrying 5 blades at once? What possible use could you have for that many?

As a side not not directed at anybody in particular I prefer to carry knives that aren't too scary or tacticool looking in case me and my knife end up in front of a jury some day.

I need a knife thats high quality and not tacticool looking, recommendations?

If you plan on using it for self defense the best investment you could make isn't in the knife - it's in training.

258 for a lockback knife? WTF. Are you kidding me?

Buy a cheap douk douk, opinel carbon steel blade, or k55 mercator

They are sharp, simple, hard knives with blades you can shave with. Also, all under 20 bucks. And, all are legal everywhere, and will not get you in trouble in court.

Cold Steel Recon Tanto Serrated.
51SIzfhPsxL.jpg

I do it because I can. :cool:

Seriously speaking though, once the novelty wears off, I'll probably go back to carrying just 3...maybe 4 if I decide to bring the Rajah II; it's the "dark alley" companion.

I do it because I can. :cool:

Seriously speaking though, once the novelty wears off, I'll probably go back to carrying just 3...maybe 4 if I decide to bring the Rajah II; it's the "dark alley" companion.

Hey that's as good of a reason as any. Have you considered swapping 1 or 2 out for a firearm?

I need a knife thats high quality and not tacticool looking, recommendations?

I would go with a half serrated Benchmade Griptilian.
Benchmade 551S Griptilian Pardue Combo Edge Knife - Knives

I would get one half serrated with a thumb hole, but the thumb hole is personal preference they come with a thumb stud as well. I really love Benchmade, especially their axis lock mechanism which makes for easy one handed opening and closing.

ummmm okay seems to be a lot of "love" for knives here :icon_neut , and you say you need to carry these about for work I mean if your a tradesman why not get a swiss army knife with all the other bits? and those that train with knives? why exactly the fuck would you train with knives?

*In case someone tries to attack you? so some drunk dude takes a swing and you think Thank god I have my knife (that I carry everywhere because im psycho and my knife training skills) and what you stab some dude??

* In case someone pulls a weapon on you? If your first reaction is not to run you are not tough you are an idiot.

* In case you are in a life and death situation that you can not escape from? Fair enough if you are living in an uncivilized or war torn country that could happen I suppose, But you would have to either be an idiot to get yourself in this situation or that 1 in a million very unlucky dude to find yourself in this situation in a western country.

ummmm okay seems to be a lot of "love" for knives here :icon_neut , and you say you need to carry these about for work I mean if your a tradesman why not get a swiss army knife with all the other bits? and those that train with knives? why exactly the fuck would you train with knives?

*In case someone tries to attack you? so some drunk dude takes a swing and you think Thank god I have my knife (that I carry everywhere because im psycho and my knife training skills) and what you stab some dude??

* In case someone pulls a weapon on you? If your first reaction is not to run you are not tough you are an idiot.

* In case you are in a life and death situation that you can not escape from? Fair enough if you are living in an uncivilized or war torn country that could happen I suppose, But you would have to either be an idiot to get yourself in this situation or that 1 in a million very unlucky dude to find yourself in this situation in a western country.

Holy shit look at this. If you are going to come in here acting all high and mighty at least form a proper sentence before you condescend people.

Okay I will bite. There are many uses for carrying a knife every day. I use mine almost daily. I do train with a knife. For me being in the military its because I may have to actually kill someone with a knife. Although I see why someone outside the military would want to carry a knife for self defense.

Lets say that most people that train with a knife are smart enough to know the effects of one. So they should know when and where to employ a knife vs a hand to hand fight. Say for instance one against many. Now in most states if you are faced with several attackers and defend yourself with a knife even killing one or more of them is considered self defense.

Okay you are walking with your family. Wife, kids the whole deal. A thug comes up with a gun and threatens to kill you if you don't do what he says. People who have looked into the eyes of a killer know what they are looking for. Sometimes you realize you have no choice but to fight.

So you are saying that only war torn countries have crime huh? I don't know what kind of world you live in, but please buy me a ticket I want to go there. People like you make this forum interesting. So please feel free to post more ignorance.

Usually my knife is a last ditch effort weapon, if you're going to carry it training is mandatory IMO.

In my state you are only allowed to raise the level of force once your attacker has.

If you're fighting hand to hand and he picks up a stick you can go to lethal force. For me that's my gun.

1. Guns can be disarmed (this is why we train in retention and disarms - if you're carrying a gun and you don't know retention techniques you should start looking for classes)

2. Guns can run dry. Although most gun fights last < 30 seconds and equal on avg no more than 8 shots total - we don't assume that's a constant.

3. Guns can malfunction. If you don't carry a spare mag and you have feeding issues you're stuck or your striker/hammer/etc breaks - that weapon system is out of the fight.

4. So if he picks up a broken bottle - yeah, I can shoot him. If he's got 2-3 friends and I end up using 8 shots and I have no spare magazine, I need another alternative. Sure I know hand to hand, and I have a legal obligation to flee in my state but sometimes it's not possible. A knife fight is a terrible thing to see but it's effective if you know what you're doing.

Before anyone says anything about 8 shots and x number of assailants - be honest with yourself. This isn't IPSC or IDPA, it would be real life. You should be moving, your attackers will be moving.

Defensive Gun, Knife and retention classes are a must for anyone carrying guns or anyone who could ever be confronted by someone with one (and you have no say in that last one).

Hey that's as good of a reason as any. Have you considered swapping 1 or 2 out for a firearm?

I'm Can-fail-ian, I can't carry a firearm on my person without what's called an "ATC"; Authorization To Carry, which is virtually impossible to obtain amongst most private citizens. Of the "5 blades" I "mentioned" but didn't necessarily show in that picture, one is the little 1.5" blade on the Victornox SilverTech Signature Lite that hangs on my keyring, and another is the 3.1" mystery steel, chisel ground, partially serrated blade that's part of my SOG PowerLock EOD multi tool that I use as a beater blade. In that actual picture, the only strictly folding knives on my person were the Spyderco Endura 4 Wave, Cold Steel Spartan, and Cold Steel Rajah II. Somedays I will carry all 3 knives (not blades, note this distinction I'm making), sometimes I'll only carry 1 or a combination of 2, but I always have my multi tool and Swiss Army knife as well, which, I guess, increases my blade count.

I started carrying a knife when I lived in FL. There were many canals along the roads where I lived and it wasn't uncommon for car accidents to wind in one. LEOs there recommend carrying a knife (or anoter instrument) that can be used to break a window and cut a seatbelt in the eventuality that your car winds up submerged in a canal. Since I started carrying, I find that I use a knife almost daily (often for letter openers).

In case you are in a life and death situation that you can not escape from? Fair enough if you are living in an uncivilized or war torn country that could happen I suppose, But you would have to either be an idiot to get yourself in this situation or that 1 in a million very unlucky dude to find yourself in this situation in a western country.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but this really demonstrates your ignorance. Violent crime happens and it happens everywhere. The scariest part of it is its randomness. A knife certainly isn't the answer to that, but you need to recognize that there are very real dangers even in your gated subdivision.

Sebenza.

If I am out in the woods,Strider AR.

Name dropper. :D

Be careful of that Strider though, under real world use when camping I know of and have seen them fail. Chips turning to cracks, that S30V isn't all its cracked up to be practically speaking.

Back