What knife did you carry today?

Kershaw Blur. Fast, strong, sharp, SpeedSafe opening.

I'm doing a knife making 2 day seminar where we're making a damascus steel knife.

I love fishing and that's my main hobby, but I've got so many filleting knives it's ridiculous. I was thinking about making a tanto knife similar to this.

Satori-tanto-flat-dark-earth-knife.jpg

Any tips, pointers, suggestions on what I should make? Will take pics and make a thread when it's done in Early Jan.

I was looking for a good example of mine. Basically this with a serrated edge and a thumb hole for quick deployment. I found it out in the woods. One of three knives I've found out there in the last year.

But he'd risk dicks, like me, at the border potentially catching and charging him. As stupid as it is, it's kind of a big deal here. As are balisongs, nunchakus, belt buckle knives, brass knuckles and a bunch of other ninja shit.

Off topic, holy shit, when did Spydercos become so expensive? I was flipping through a Cabela's catalogue and saw the Delica 4 FFG with orange scales going for like $130 and the MSRP on the website isn't that far off. WTF? I paid like $80 for my Endura 4 with Emerson opener only 4ish years ago.

Yeah I was mostly joking but you have to admit, an auto knife or a butterfly isn't any more dangerous than any other knife...I mean they will both stab and slice regardless of how they are opened.

I mean I can flip open my Emerson and have it ready probably as fast as anybody can get their auto knife ready but oneness illegal and one isn't.

I hate weapon laws like this and I'm glad I'm from a state that isn't very restrictive because sometimes knife laws are really fucking dumb (case in point...Canada).

Hell there's places in the states where you can have a hunting knife but if it's a clip point with a sharpened back...it's a crime...why?

And yeah, spyder co knives have shot up, I got my first one a decade ago for about 40 bucks.

I was looking for a good example of mine. Basically this with a serrated edge and a thumb hole for quick deployment. I found it out in the woods. One of three knives I've found out there in the last year.

Fully serrated blade or just half serrated?

Yeah, agreed. It's dumb but them's the rules. I actually end up educating other officers on knife and gun laws from time to time.

I used a boxknife today at work, and I used a butter knife from the silverware caddy to butter my toast, do either of these count???

The baton rules in Canada are even more confusing. It's like they're legal to purchase and sell but they're illegal to own.

Pretty sure he meant half serrated as I don't think Benchmade makes a fully serrated Griptilian. I could be wrong though I haven't really looked at their product line in a few year.s

The baton rules in Canada are even more confusing. It's like they're legal to purchase and sell but they're illegal to own.

You can purchase and own it, but if you carry it, you can almost guarantee that a cop will stop you and ask you WTF you're doing with something like that in public. Whether or not they charge you is a different matter. It's probably one of the hardest items, which isn't specifically prohibited in the Criminal Code, to justify carrying. You're kinda better off carrying a can of bear/dog spray and telling a cop that there's a crazy dog in your neighbourhood, if you're stopped.

Actually, one of the work arounds that some other guys did, when I worked in private security and if there was a company policy against carrying batons, was carry around a C/D cell Maglite, maybe throw a bust a cap on it:

26440961.jpg

http://www.bustacap.net/index.php/b.../Maglite®-Caps/c/1959351/offset=0&sort=normal

Fully serrated blade or just half serrated?

Half

I carry it all the time because its probably the cheapest of all my knives aside that I found it.

I also have two of the automatic knives that I got on my last deployment. Tax dollars at work right there. I'm looking to improve my knife skills for my next deployment. I want to carry a fixed blade or a karambit. Just in case jihad wants to get out of line.

Last edited:
What about if you own one and keep it at home and use it on an intruder?

I have a fiend who works retail management in a shit part of town. After having a syringe pulled on him he bought a baton and now carries it at work at all times. He's had to deploy it numerous times on crackheads who've pulled knives and needles on him. He acknowledges that it's illegal to carry but would rather deal with those consequences over the other possibilities.

DSCN0006.jpg

...Because I'm dining in Hell tonight.

What about if you own one and keep it at home and use it on an intruder?

I have a fiend who works retail management in a shit part of town. After having a syringe pulled on him he bought a baton and now carries it at work at all times. He's had to deploy it numerous times on crackheads who've pulled knives and needles on him. He acknowledges that it's illegal to carry but would rather deal with those consequences over the other possibilities.

Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose

88. (1) Every person commits an offence who carries or possesses a weapon, an imitation of a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence.

Marginal note:punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 88;
1995, c. 39, s. 139.

http://lois-laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-47.html#h-40

Technically, defending yourself isn't a "dangerous purpose" but he'll have to lawyer up if cops are involved regardless. The thing about a baton is, it's specifically designed and intended for law enforcement and security use i.e. against people and the "just in case" defense without any precedence holds little water in Canada. I'd suggest that if your friend has ever been assaulted in anyway, which can include threats or if he's approached by some shithead with a needle who, "while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof, he accosts or impedes another person or begs"; he should file a police report and even if nothing is investigated, he should carry a copy. This isn't a license to carry a "weapon" but it builds evidence towards a recurring or continuing threat against his well-being.

Here's a few sections on assault:

Uttering threats

264.1 (1) Every one commits an offence who, in any manner, knowingly utters, conveys or causes any person to receive a threat

(a) to cause death or bodily harm to any person;

(b) to burn, destroy or damage real or personal property; or

(c) to kill, poison or injure an animal or bird that is the property of any person.

Marginal note:punishment

(2) Every one who commits an offence under paragraph (1)(a) is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding eighteen months.

Marginal note:Idem

(3) Every one who commits an offence under paragraph (1)(b) or (c)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 38;
1994, c. 44, s. 16.

Marginal note:Assault

265. (1) A person commits an assault when

(a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;

(b) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or

(c) while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof, he accosts or impedes another person or begs.

Marginal note:Application

(2) This section applies to all forms of assault, including sexual assault, sexual assault with a weapon, threats to a third party or causing bodily harm and aggravated sexual assault.

http://lois-laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-139.html#h-82

Clear as mud?

I wouldn't want to get pulled over by a cop with that thing on me.

Still loving this ESEE candiru, what a sick little blade.

I want to get a utility folder to keep in the trunk of my car. Was thinking the Salt II might be a good option.

I'm looking at the candiru and bark river for a possible EDC fixed blade.

Cold steel boot knife with paracord around my neck. Since I always wear a button down and sweater, you can't tell.

Almost got caught once, but it was a shitty patdown.

Well bark river dosent really
Make anything comparable to the candiru. Bark river makes excellent knives, like the gunny and the ultralight bushcrafter.

But...and listen carefully

Avoid anything that is made of s35vn. If you are going with a bark river, stick with 3v, s30v or elmax. Betsy the fuck away from s35vn.

ESEE knives are all simple 1095 and are just hard use knives but bark river dosent make anything in the same size/material as a candiru so totally different things.

If you want to EDC a fixed blade of bough, the ESEE Izula is where it's at and I like thenisulan2 better.

I wouldn't want to get pulled over by a cop with that thing on me.

Neither do I, I'll probably carry it a little, just to show to friends at work, and until the novelty wears off.

Thanks for the info on the steel.

I have an izula already.

What about the Becker Necker? I like the blade shape more than the izula. It also comes in 1095 and they even have a d2 version as well.

Sure why not, it's all preference at the end really. I'm not really a huge fan of neck knives, I just happen to have a few, im just not super into minimalistic handles even on an Izula, I'd put the grips on it which is why I like my Izula 2.

Sure why not, it's all preference at the end really. I'm not really a huge fan of neck knives, I just happen to have a few, im just not super into minimalistic handles even on an Izula, I'd put the grips on it which is why I like my Izula 2.

Well to me Becker "necker" is misleading. IMO it's too big to wear around the neck. And I'm like you. I prefer handle scales and I don't like wearing knives around my neck. You can get micarta handle scales for the Becker as well.

How are you enjoying that one? I am a fan of CS, but do not know much about that model other than I like how the grip looks.

It's not a particularly practical knife by any means, but if you know what to expect, it can be a pretty good knife. My major criticism is that the pocket clip is pathetically small and very, very grippy; making the Emerson Wave opening feature a little difficult to deploy at first. I guess the other thing is that the lock is tight; really, really, really right as in, I have trouble closing it sometimes.

carrying this little booger today. love it, love anything from benchmade really. this little guy is super slim and light, and very sharp......

benchmade530.jpg

It's not a particularly practical knife by any means, but if you know what to expect, it can be a pretty good knife. My major criticism is that the pocket clip is pathetically small and very, very grippy; making the Emerson Wave opening feature a little difficult to deploy at first. I guess the other thing is that the lock is tight; really, really, really right as in, I have trouble closing it sometimes.

I like mine alot, they break in really well after awhile you just gotta stick with it, the Tri Ad lock needs time to set.

Today I carried:
new_pics_11-2_002_495.jpg

I'm getting ready to do a review of it on Bladeforums, great knife, some say its a poormans Military, I actually like it better than the Mili.

40 Bucks, good lord.

And to think I thought this forum would be horseshit. I have worked with the FBI once so a boy can dream.

Wouldn't waste the post but just bought a four inch Kershaw serrated pocket blade and case for three bucks and opened my palm a quarter inch deep slicing salsa tomatoes. The tattoo will never look the same.

I'm thinking of getting a Benchmade infidel. Why because I can legally carry it.

I'm thinking of getting a Benchmade infidel. Why because I can legally carry it.

where do you live?

im in texas and i thought texas laws are pretty loose (well at least compaired to california where i came from, but that aint saying much) but i still cant carry an OTF here legally. wish i could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back