What Kind of People Annoy you in BJJ?

That guy whose strange contagious body odor contaminated everybody in the entire gym including me for years to the point that even to this day all my clothes and towels and even my own body faintly smell of a mixture of sweat with a bizarre tinge of pineapple, years after he's gone I rolled with another dude at the same gym and caught the smell again after it had almost faded away, I knew instantly he had rolled with him
I'd be angry at him if I wasn't so baffled at how the fuck this could even happen

Don't diabetic people have "sweet" smelling sweat that tends to stick around for a while and permeate stuff?

This is just bizarre, and frankly I'm amazed your professor or coach or whatever wouldnt immediately shut this down.

Of course it was dealt with. That part of the story didn't seem relevant to the thread.

I just home from training and the guy that annoyed me was the young white belt who spiked me on my head and neck when I had him in a triangle. I was cruising and not going full speed...anyway in a fair bit of pain now and when I wake up tomorrow it will be worse. Next class though I will make my point even though my coach had words with him

Definitely not douchey. Personally though, I always hated whenever people went easy on me. When I first started I was 18 and around 220lbs, and I guess my instructor just read my situation well and figured I could handle a beating, and the first 6 months of training he put me with only with 3 guys who crushed me every single day. It wasn't until I went to an open mat somewhere else that I realized I had actually learned enough jiu jitsu to hit a submission in live roll lol.

Obviously a lot of people hate being crushed every day, but it made me want to get better, and inspired for how good I could get one day.

Anyway, it made it so I hated whenever someone slowed down for me and let me work something, because I don't really mind getting crushed and I hit the stuff I want on lower belts enough, I dont find it helps when a higher belt just sits there with little to no resistance, especially when I can hit it on a whitebelt or blue belt who is giving it their all to escape.
Very well said. I can try my low percentage moves and new stuff that isn't perfect yet on the white and blue belts. When rolling higher belts I expect and want to be pushed as I get more out of it . It keeps me in check but also lets me attack with my best A game to see how it measures up. If they are going too easy I can't gauge my progress.

People who try to figure out counters to moves being drilled during drilling time.

#bjjlifestyle people who don't train seriously at all and are more into talking about BJJ than learning it.

• Mr. excuse- “you can’t go that hard, man.” “I’m so tired” “I would of escaped if-“

This is 100x worse when they actually go hard. I've had people say before rolling "hey my ___ is hurt" and I tell them no problem I'll go light/not attack it and then they proceed to go hard. Pretty much have to just let them go hard and not fight back too hard because I don't want to make their "injury" any worse.

I also love the "man taking a week off really hurt my cardio"

<DontBelieve1>

instructors who like the sound of their voice waaay to much.

I also love the "man taking a week off really hurt my cardio"

<DontBelieve1>

Extremely common excuse too. Its especially funny because when I come back after a week I am more pumped than ever and I tend to perform the best

People who try to figure out counters to moves being drilled during drilling time.

#bjjlifestyle people who don't train seriously at all and are more into talking about BJJ than learning it.

..erm im one of them. But what I will do is, ill let you drill the sub 3 times before telling you that I would try to counter it a 3rd or 4th time you drill it in. That's fair right? Ill let you get used to the movements first before trying to find out a counter for that move.

..erm im one of them. But what I will do is, ill let you drill the sub 3 times before telling you that I would try to counter it a 3rd or 4th time you drill it in. That's fair right? Ill let you get used to the movements first before trying to find out a counter for that move.

Why not just focus on the move?

Extremely common excuse too. Its especially funny because when I come back after a week I am more pumped than ever and I tend to perform the best

I also hear "man I shouldn't have lifted right before training"

3 times is not nearly enough for many people and especially if it's new to them. I don't care if my partner asks if I want them to resist but I don't like it when I'm trying to get in reps and all of a sudden it becomes a mini-roll session.

This is not to say you should be a wet noodle but you shouldn't be actively trying to counter someone during their drilling portion unless they want you to or if it's the actual purpose of the drill imo. Ideally you would discover those types of counters and stuff during positional sparring/rolling because there's probably 10 counters to it and 10 counters to each of those counters, so you might as well pound out reps in the short amount of time you have to do it than to theorize every situation (unless that's what your partner WANTS to do)

Is it still bad if I do it but don't complain about it?

I decided to deadlift the morning of wrestling class on a day when we did nonstop rounds of handfighting and takedowns at the end of class and I suffered quite a bit. Going for a short run before is fine but lifting not so much.

3 times is not nearly enough for many people and especially if it's new to them. I don't care if my partner asks if I want them to resist but I don't like it when I'm trying to get in reps and all of a sudden it becomes a mini-roll session.

This is not to say you should be a wet noodle but you shouldn't be actively trying to counter someone during their drilling portion unless they want you to or if it's the actual purpose of the drill imo. Ideally you would discover those types of counters and stuff during positional sparring/rolling because there's probably 10 counters to it and 10 counters to each of those counters, so you might as well pound out reps in the short amount of time you have to do it than to theorize every situation (unless that's what your partner WANTS to do)

what about when I try to get out of the practised position to check what my partner is doing working or not? That's cool right?

Is it still bad if I do it but don't complain about it?

I decided to deadlift the morning of wrestling class on a day when we did nonstop rounds of handfighting and takedowns at the end of class and I suffered quite a bit. Going for a short run before is fine but lifting not so much.

Honestly, I don't know. I would assume lifting before training is probably going to affect your training. It's just sometimes annoying to hear right after we finish rolling as it can sound like a lame excuse sometimes.

what about when I try to get out of the practised position to check what my partner is doing working or not? That's cool right?

Idk man I'm not an authority on how all training partners should act lol. What I will say is that if it's one person's turn to be drilling, they should be able to drill how they want. Meaning if they don't want you to counter them or strongly resist then you probably shouldn't be doing that. Just ask your partner if they want you to do that stuff and see what they say

instructors who like the sound of their voice waaay to much.

In my experience, it’s only been the non-black belt assistant instructors that are long winded. All of my head instructors are usually men of few words.

Too lazy to read all the posts, but guy who always resets positions to favorable for them is at the top for me. I didnt work all that time to get mount to reset on the feet because another group rolled into us.

Too lazy to read all the posts, but guy who always resets positions to favorable for them is at the top for me. I didnt work all that time to get mount to reset on the feet because another group rolled into us.

Never ran into someone like that yet. Most of us are very strict with the honor system. In fact if we have to reset and I was in a bad spot i would reset even worse to be extra fair to my opponent

Back