What Kind of People Annoy you in BJJ?

One time, I was rolling with some older Hispanic looking dude. So he seems a fair bit better than me and after a long competitive roll he locks in a triangle choke. As soon as he releases it .......after I tapped......he loudly says "400 and ONE".

What a douche.
I’ve been really good with the lower belts lately. I’ve been letting them work their guard passing or whatever they want and I don’t really but offer light resistance. After a reset because of a wall or some other guys rolling near us, can’t remember, he says “At least you ‘can’t’ choke me.” It kind of put me off. I was letting him work. I didn’t know if he really thought he was getting passed my guard on his own or not. Anyway, I let him work the entire round, then with 10 seconds left I took his back and put my arm across his neck. I didn’t apply pressure. I just released it as soon as my arm was there. I know I’m a douche.

I’ve been really good with the lower belts lately. I’ve been letting them work their guard passing or whatever they want and I don’t really but offer light resistance. After a reset because of a wall or some other guys rolling near us, can’t remember, he says “At least you ‘can’t’ choke me.” It kind of put me off. I was letting him work. I didn’t know if he really thought he was getting passed my guard on his own or not. Anyway, I let him work the entire round, then with 10 seconds left I took his back and put my arm across his neck. I didn’t apply pressure. I just released it as soon as my arm was there. I know I’m a douche.

You're nicer than me. I would've given the short choke.

I'm not sure I'd say that's douchey... he was being a little arrogant maybe? (Although it's possible he was so new he just didn't know you were going easy or didn't know how roll etiquette works).

Personally, as a white belt, I assume everyone with a higher belt is letting me work. Sometimes I'll be surprised, though. One time I got one guy in a rear naked choke and he said, "Good job," and I said, "Well, I know you let me have it," and he said, "No, I really didn't." So IDK. Was I rude to say what *I* said? Was he still being nice? Was he just gassed from having rolled with four people prior? Who knows. <Moves>

Not a douche at all. I would have repeatedly choked him as many times as possible before the round ended right after he said that.

Definitely not douchey. Personally though, I always hated whenever people went easy on me. When I first started I was 18 and around 220lbs, and I guess my instructor just read my situation well and figured I could handle a beating, and the first 6 months of training he put me with only with 3 guys who crushed me every single day. It wasn't until I went to an open mat somewhere else that I realized I had actually learned enough jiu jitsu to hit a submission in live roll lol.

Obviously a lot of people hate being crushed every day, but it made me want to get better, and inspired for how good I could get one day.

Anyway, it made it so I hated whenever someone slowed down for me and let me work something, because I don't really mind getting crushed and I hit the stuff I want on lower belts enough, I dont find it helps when a higher belt just sits there with little to no resistance, especially when I can hit it on a whitebelt or blue belt who is giving it their all to escape.

One time, I was rolling with some older Hispanic looking dude. So he seems a fair bit better than me and after a long competitive roll he locks in a triangle choke. As soon as he releases it .......after I tapped......he loudly says "400 and ONE".

What a douche.
Should've dropped bombs at that point

Definitely not douchey. Personally though, I always hated whenever people went easy on me. When I first started I was 18 and around 220lbs, and I guess my instructor just read my situation well and figured I could handle a beating, and the first 6 months of training he put me with only with 3 guys who crushed me every single day. It wasn't until I went to an open mat somewhere else that I realized I had actually learned enough jiu jitsu to hit a submission in live roll lol.

Obviously a lot of people hate being crushed every day, but it made me want to get better, and inspired for how good I could get one day.

Anyway, it made it so I hated whenever someone slowed down for me and let me work something, because I don't really mind getting crushed and I hit the stuff I want on lower belts enough, I dont find it helps when a higher belt just sits there with little to no resistance, especially when I can hit it on a whitebelt or blue belt who is giving it their all to escape.

I agree with that to an extent. I dont *mind* if a much higher brown or black belt takes it a bit easy on me and doesnt go full blown Mundials mode, but I hate it when they make it extremely obvious, like just give me their arm or lay down and let me mount or side control them. Its deflating and at that point I lose motivation for the roll.

I agree with that to an extent. I dont *mind* if a much higher brown or black belt takes it a bit easy on me and doesnt go full blown Mundials mode, but I hate it when they make it extremely obvious, like just give me their arm or lay down and let me mount or side control them. Its deflating and at that point I lose motivation for the roll.

Turn it into a positive. It gives you the chance to work for subs from a dominant position, and if you can't get anything, you know thats something you can work on

Of course if i was in that position and they just let me get subs freely, that would piss me off

Turn it into a positive. It gives you the chance to work for subs from a dominant position, and if you can't get anything, you know thats something you can work on

Of course if i was in that position and they just let me get subs freely, that would piss me off

Yeah everything is all relative, definitely referring to when mid roll they just basically go dead fish and become a dummy and let me get the sweep or sub. I don't need that ever during a roll, that's for drilling.

There's a lot of stuff that drives others nuts that I just don't care about, but the one thing that consistently irritates me is that "chip on the shoulder" guy. The "tough guy" who's never actually done anything "tough", so he uses his local Wednesday night beginners BJJ class as his own personal "proving ground". I've only run into a few over the years, but they're all D-bags.

Some examples from real life -

A guy so afraid to "lose" during a roll that he roids to the gills. He's not a fighter either. He literally only does BJJ and some sporadic weight training, but needs to be roided so that he can more easily beat up that 50 year old accountant ...

A guy who, if he got to class early, would put on the worst scream-metal you can imagine, pull the hood from his hoodie up over his head, look down at the floor and just pace until someone told him to knock it off. Like, come on man, WTF are you doing? We're not about to have the Thunderdome in here. Master Blaster isn't going to descend from the cielling on bunji cords and attack you with a chainsaw. Why are trying to pump yourself up so much? It's just a jiujitsu class and everyone in here is your freaking team mate so chill.

A girl joined a gym I trained at to help her deal with some anxiety issues. In particular, she wanted to deal with the discomfort she felt when people got too close to her. She's TINY. Probably 105 pounds with her gi on. At some point one night, the upper belts who were watching to make sure she ONLY rolled with upper belts who would work with her lost track of her partners. SHe ends up with the guy from the previous paragraph. He's in his mid 20's lifts every day. Proceeds to immediately smother her in side control and use excess pressure. Gets mad when I (one of the upper belts who sadly lost track) tells him to cool it. "How's she gonna learn bro!"

A guy who, as a one-stripe white belt thought he was the SH@T because he tapped a blue belt. I will give him that it WAS a legit tap. Not one of those times where he was just being allowed to work. It was just that it was a tap on someone whom he outweighed by literally almost 130 pounds. 6'3" college football player vs 5'4" (the only guy shorter than me in the whole gym) hobbyist. He got said tap by basically knocking the dude nearly unconcious with a power bomb. EVeryone's rolling and then all of a sudden there's a loud BOOM! This idiot then talked endlessly about how blue belts are nothing and maybe BJJ isn't for him because it's "Just so easy for me". Then decided everyone who refused to roll with him was "ducking". Yep.

I can handle just about everything else. Have no issues telling someone they need to shower/wash their gi/clip their nails etc. Can deal with someone rolling harder than I want and don't really care about that white belt trying to heel hook me in a gi. But if you're "that guy" who's trying to use a regular public BJJ class filled with non-athletes and people who just want to drop some weight as his own personal Agoge - you sir, can go right to hell.

I disagree here. I'm a brown belt, and I'd much rather start a roll giving a white / blue belt side control, mount, or back than go through the charade of them "passing my guard". I don't want to practice bad habits, or get used to letting people pass my guard. If its a 5 minute round, and I've tapped the guy twice from guard, I'll give him side control and work from there. Then he can work his attacks, and I try to escape and sub him in the time left.

There's a lot of stuff that drives others nuts that I just don't care about, but the one thing that consistently irritates me is that "chip on the shoulder" guy. The "tough guy" who's never actually done anything "tough", so he uses his local Wednesday night beginners BJJ class as his own personal "proving ground". I've only run into a few over the years, but they're all D-bags.

A guy so afraid to "lose" during a roll that he roids to the gills. He's not a fighter either. He literally only does BJJ and some sporadic weight training, but needs to be roided so that he can more easily beat up that 50 year old accountant ...

A guy who, if he got to class early, would put on the worst scream-metal you can imagine, pull the hood from his hoodie up over his head, look down at the floor and just pace until someone told him to knock it off. Like, come on man, WTF are you doing? We're not about to have the Thunderdome in here. Master Blaster isn't going to descend from the cielling on bunji cords and attack you with a chainsaw. Why are trying to pump yourself up so much? It's just a jiujitsu class and everyone in here is your freaking team mate so chill.

A girl joined a gym I trained at to help her deal with some anxiety issues. In particular, she wanted to deal with the discomfort she felt when people got too close to her. She's TINY. Probably 105 pounds with her gi on. At some point one night, the upper belts who were watching to make sure she ONLY rolled with upper belts who would work with her lost track of her partners. SHe ends up with the guy from the previous paragraph. He's in his mid 20's lifts every day. Proceeds to immediately smother her in side control and use excess pressure. Gets mad when I (one of the upper belts who sadly lost track) tells him to cool it. "How's she gonna learn bro!"

A guy who, as a one-stripe white belt thought he was the SH@T because he tapped a blue belt. I will give him that it WAS a legit tap. Not one of those times where he was just being allowed to work. It was just that it was a tap on someone whom he outweighed by literally almost 130 pounds. 6'3" college football player vs 5'4" (the only guy shorter than me in the whole gym) hobbyist. He got said tap by basically knocking the dude nearly unconcious with a power bomb. EVeryone's rolling and then all of a sudden there's a loud BOOM! This idiot then talked endlessly about how blue belts are nothing and maybe BJJ isn't for him because it's "Just so easy for me". Then decided everyone who refused to roll with him was "ducking". Yep.

I can handle just about everything else. Have no issues telling someone they need to shower/wash their gi/clip their nails etc. Can deal with someone rolling harder than I want and don't really care about that white belt trying to heel hook me in a gi. But if you're "that guy" who's trying to use a regular public BJJ class filled with non-athletes and people who just want to drop some weight as his own personal Agoge - you sir, can go right to hell.

I like you.

There is this one weird guy at the gym I train at. He will always roll and train with girls (and likes stupid anime bs). Whenever you offer to roll with him, he will refuse and what is worse. He has bad technique watching him drill takedowns with one girl made me facepalm. I understand he wants to help the girls, but he tries his best to get with them and he just fails at it..

That guy whose strange contagious body odor contaminated everybody in the entire gym including me for years to the point that even to this day all my clothes and towels and even my own body faintly smell of a mixture of sweat with a bizarre tinge of pineapple, years after he's gone I rolled with another dude at the same gym and caught the smell again after it had almost faded away, I knew instantly he had rolled with him
I'd be angry at him if I wasn't so baffled at how the fuck this could even happen

Wow. I have never met anyone like that and am very glad. At least not to the extent described by you, such as the roids and heavy metal. I remember a guy with a wrestling background and he didn't know how to turn off the intensity. He didnt know any submissions but I enjoyed rolling with him simply because it was frustrating how well he could get on top and maintain pressure. I was 19 back then and 235lbs with a ton of energy, and we would go hard. And then I would see him roll with a new 16 year old girl who couldn't be more than 120lbs, and he kept the same intensity as with me. I have trouble rolling with women because im always afraid to go too intense and I always end up almost doing nothing, but to have no insight to change intensity with your training partners is just insane.

Also a guy like that I would beat humbleness into him. If he was talking like that I would never give him anything and run a clinic on him every roll. Don't even tap him where I nornally would like guard, but I would consistently talk his back belly-down and choke him out. If he never learns, at least I get to have fun making him suffer. If he ducks me, I'll single him out

This is just bizarre, and frankly I'm amazed your professor or coach or whatever wouldnt immediately shut this down. I dont care how big or young he is; there must be PLENTY of people, yes even at the blue belt level, that would completely wreck him and humble him. If this were to happen at my gym my professor would have rolled with him and made sure to put an excruciating knee on belly for the duration of the entire roll. (everyone who rolls with our professor fears his dreaded knee on belly)

Back