What Kind of People Annoy you in BJJ?

I watched a guy hop from one foot to the other while balanced on top of and older white belts rib cage. The guy obviously didn’t know what to do he was just sort of fetal while this other guy stood/crouched on him.
Seem like a bit of a dick move with no real purpose.

Last edited:
We have a guy (who’s a really good purple belt) who will make lower belts scream in pain about 2-3 times per month. Not cool. If you’re a decent purple belt, you know when you “got” someone. There’s NEVER a legit reason to make your training partner scream in pain.

I watched a guy hop from one foot to the other while balanced on top of and older white belts rib cage. The guy obviously didn’t know what to do I was just sort of fetal while this other guy stood/crouched on him.
Seem like a bit of a dick move with no real purpose.

Its things like that that honestly piss me off so much. I never personally experienced that (most people in my academy are super nice and humble), but I can imagine people like that exist out there.

The 20 somethings who think that every roll is the finals at the mundials. I rolled with a white belt and after punching me in the face 3times his response was “these things happen”. No kiddo, it doesn’t, you need to relax. Those are the worst.

16 year olds who can submit top level guys

I will add another. Higher belts who start avoiding rolling so they can protect their egos and new status

I will add another. Higher belts who start avoiding rolling so they can protect their egos and new status

I see that a lot, especially with visiting black belts. As a new blue belt, when I was rolling with him (he's in his 60's most likely), I was surprised how easy it was for me, so out of respect I didn't do much and just let him mount me and stuff. Is that the proper/polite thing to do when rolling with much higher ranked, but also much older, people?

I see that a lot, especially with visiting black belts. As a new blue belt, when I was rolling with him (he's in his 60's most likely), I was surprised how easy it was for me, so out of respect I didn't do much and just let him mount me and stuff. Is that the proper/polite thing to do when rolling with much higher ranked, but also much older, people?

We have a guy like that at our academy. I treat it like rolling with women or kids, no disrespect to him. I just don't use power. I let him set subs up and try to escape. I let him work and don't use athleticism. It's fucking sad, though, isn't it? We are basically done physically at 50 or 60. It's a short life we have, and we better make the most of it. Past 50 or so, we have to be satisfied with passing the knowledge on because we won't have the physical ability to compete.

We have a guy like that at our academy. I treat it like rolling with women or kids, no disrespect to him. I just don't use power. I let him set subs up and try to escape. I let him work and don't use athleticism. It's fucking sad, though, isn't it? We are basically done physically at 50 or 60. It's a short life we have, and we better make the most of it. Past 50 or so, we have to be satisfied with passing the knowledge on because we won't have the physical ability to compete.

I know....

I'm 36 so sad to think that I've missed out of the prime athletic years of my life. But truthfully I am probably in the best shape of my life thanks to jiu jitsu. I can definately do things that I could have never done in my 20's because I didn't work out back then and took my youth for granted.

However, at the other end of the spectrum, there is my professor, who is probably in his 50's but holy hell can that guy smash the living shit out of anyone. I've been there 2 years and he has never been tapped, Ever. Even against other visiting black belts who are much younger than him. Just a hard, old school, grizzled kind of guy. He's not big at all either, my height and probably close to 185 pounds or so. But he smashes everyone, including the 230+ pound behemoths we have.

So there are exceptions.... I dont think the guy is genetically gifted or anything, just after 30+ years of BJJ his body is just really fine tuned to smash people. This stuff does harden you if you stick to it long enough.

Anyone who makes that stupid hand gesture

Shaka_Brah_logo_CMYK-01.png

I know....

I'm 36 so sad to think that I've missed out of the prime athletic years of my life. But truthfully I am probably in the best shape of my life thanks to jiu jitsu. I can definately do things that I could have never done in my 20's because I didn't work out back then and took my youth for granted.

However, at the other end of the spectrum, there is my professor, who is probably in his 50's but holy hell can that guy smash the living shit out of anyone. I've been there 2 years and he has never been tapped, Ever. Even against other visiting black belts who are much younger than him. Just a hard, old school, grizzled kind of guy. He's not big at all either, my height and probably close to 185 pounds or so. But he smashes everyone, including the 230+ pound behemoths we have.

So there are exceptions.... I dont think the guy is genetically gifted or anything, just after 30+ years of BJJ his body is just really fine tuned to smash people. This stuff does harden you if you stick to it long enough.

I'm 35 and in almost exactly the same situation. Best shape of my life but regretting not starting sooner because the younger guys obviously have an advantage. Our instructor is a badass in his late 40s and can easily smash everyone in the gym. He's one of the old school Gracie students, and his pressure and control is insane. I literally can't move anything a single millimeter when I'm on bottom. So, some guys seem to hang onto it for a long time, even in their fifties. But they seem to just age and become ancient overnight.

Thought of a new one. People who keep their jaws down while you try to choke them and then criticise yout technique, because "that choke was all jaw bro"

Oh man, about a month ago I was rolling with this big blue belt, I took his back and worked for the RNC until the end of the roll while he defended with his chin down.
After the roll gave him a bunch of praise and thanked him for the roll, just to find out the next day by another teammate he was talking sh*t about how I rolled to rough and almost broke his jaw despite he was dictating the pace.

Nothing that hasn’t already been posted but I’ll throw my two cents in

• stinky people - people who cannot maintain good hygiene and/or clean their damn Gi.

• The mat “bullies”- the guys that are already a big dude going way too hard on the lower belts/ smaller teammates. Like relax bro, this isn’t a tourney.

• “I know everything” higher belts- The brown or black belts that have this “don’t question me and do it my way” kind of mindset.

• Diging elbows in the thigh/knee- guys that go way too hard and just drill their elbow into your thigh to pass your guard.

• Mr. excuse- “you can’t go that hard, man.” “I’m so tired” “I would of escaped if-“

Others of course but that’s the main ones.

What about you? What kind of person annoys you in your academy?

One time, I was rolling with some older Hispanic looking dude. So he seems a fair bit better than me and after a long competitive roll he locks in a triangle choke. As soon as he releases it .......after I tapped......he loudly says "400 and ONE".

What a douche.

Last edited:
One time, I was rolling with some older Hispanic looking dude. So he seems a fair bit better than me and after a long competitive roll he locks in a triangle choke. As soon as he releases it .......after I tapped....he loudly says "400 and ONE".

What a douche.

That's pretty funny tbh.

What is that anyways ? Is it really a bjj thing ?
I think it originated in Hawaii or the islands or something. It means "hang loose" and is just a gesture of good vibes. HOWEVER, the BJJ subculture has taken this symbol and wayyyyy to many people use it endlessly.

I'm just being a prick probably but I think it's annoying

Guys who don't wear anything under their gi tops. I don't want your fat, sweaty man-tits in my face when we roll.

To piggyback on the big guys who roll with little guys gripe, we have a major offender in my school. 4 stripe white belt who goes to every possible class. He's about 230 and basically flat out refuses to roll with me (a 240lb. 2 stripe white) and consistently goes with guys who are in the 180 range. He has really short legs and 0 flexibility so he struggles to close guard on me so he rolls with small guys.

If being a bare chested shaka thrower is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I don't like it when people are disrespectful during the rolls. It hasn't happened in years, but I've seen it before, and it isn't good for anyone.

Back