What Kind of People Annoy you in BJJ? | Page 4

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Evenflow80, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Muppettoker Purple Belt

Muppettoker
    I watched a guy hop from one foot to the other while balanced on top of and older white belts rib cage. The guy obviously didn’t know what to do he was just sort of fetal while this other guy stood/crouched on him.
    Seem like a bit of a dick move with no real purpose.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 1:40 AM
    Rebelfett likes this.
  2. Evenflow80 Green Belt

Evenflow80
    Its things like that that honestly piss me off so much. I never personally experienced that (most people in my academy are super nice and humble), but I can imagine people like that exist out there.

SUPERGRAPPLER and Rebelfett like this.
  3. Rebelfett 2017 PWD Breakthrough Poster of the Year

Rebelfett
    The 20 somethings who think that every roll is the finals at the mundials. I rolled with a white belt and after punching me in the face 3times his response was “these things happen”. No kiddo, it doesn’t, you need to relax. Those are the worst.

SUPERGRAPPLER likes this.
  4. Matsukaze Blue Belt

Matsukaze
    16 year olds who can submit top level guys

5. DanaWhitesButler Brown Belt

DanaWhitesButler
    Truth. Suck it up and do the best you can with what you have got

Rebelfett likes this.
  6. DanaWhitesButler Brown Belt

DanaWhitesButler
    I will add another. Higher belts who start avoiding rolling so they can protect their egos and new status

Rebelfett likes this.
  7. Evenflow80 Green Belt

Evenflow80
    I see that a lot, especially with visiting black belts. As a new blue belt, when I was rolling with him (he's in his 60's most likely), I was surprised how easy it was for me, so out of respect I didn't do much and just let him mount me and stuff. Is that the proper/polite thing to do when rolling with much higher ranked, but also much older, people?

DanaWhitesButler and Rebelfett like this.
  8. DanaWhitesButler Brown Belt

DanaWhitesButler
    We have a guy like that at our academy. I treat it like rolling with women or kids, no disrespect to him. I just don't use power. I let him set subs up and try to escape. I let him work and don't use athleticism. It's fucking sad, though, isn't it? We are basically done physically at 50 or 60. It's a short life we have, and we better make the most of it. Past 50 or so, we have to be satisfied with passing the knowledge on because we won't have the physical ability to compete.

Rebelfett likes this.
  9. Evenflow80 Green Belt

Evenflow80
    I know....

I'm 36 so sad to think that I've missed out of the prime athletic years of my life. But truthfully I am probably in the best shape of my life thanks to jiu jitsu. I can definately do things that I could have never done in my 20's because I didn't work out back then and took my youth for granted.

However, at the other end of the spectrum, there is my professor, who is probably in his 50's but holy hell can that guy smash the living shit out of anyone. I've been there 2 years and he has never been tapped, Ever. Even against other visiting black belts who are much younger than him. Just a hard, old school, grizzled kind of guy. He's not big at all either, my height and probably close to 185 pounds or so. But he smashes everyone, including the 230+ pound behemoths we have.

So there are exceptions.... I dont think the guy is genetically gifted or anything, just after 30+ years of BJJ his body is just really fine tuned to smash people. This stuff does harden you if you stick to it long enough.

Rebelfett likes this.