What is the brokest you have ever been?

No, my education was pretty well covered through football scholarship and extremely high standardized test scores. My parents picked up the rest. I never had debt from education.
The reason I asked is because that's my number one debt. It's eating me up. Assuming I would prob make less without a degree, at this point (6 years since college graduation) I would still have a significant amount more in my bank. I'm hoping once I get these loans paid off that my education will be worth it, in due time.

Right now. Around 13 thousand in debt and I'm living in a rehab for free. First time in my life that I actually am focused on improving myself though and by this time next year I plan to be debt free and in school to get my nursing license
I once had an addiction, I could still function and work...but the cost of the drug was what hurt me the most. Outside of being dead broke once, I generally had enough to get by. But I look back at all the money I wasted on that shit.

Never been poor but broke, sure.

I was in college and went to Walmart and didn't know I was broke. Bought a single rice krispies treat bar and my debit card was denied...it was embarrassing to say the least.

Got my paycheck and back I was to being rich, living paycheck to paycheck lol.
Man I used to get my paycheck and think "damn I'm gonna make it another week at least" lol. I've been dead broke once, but I have skidded in to fridays on more than one occasion.

Right now. Around 13 thousand in debt and I'm living in a rehab for free. First time in my life that I actually am focused on improving myself though and by this time next year I plan to be debt free and in school to get my nursing license

Good for you, I hope you succeed.

Going out is fun but when you do it all the time is it really that fun? I have a hard time getting up for work if I’m out drinking.
yea....it's fun in college. But when i got out of college I was sick and tired of it. I stopped partying 5 years ago.

Living out of my overdraft in 2008/09 no work for carpenters in the recession
Only holiday was a weekend away with free coupons in the paper
My wife (girlfriend at the time) had to buy the petrol and the food as I was waiting to get paid off a job
Awful times but they also shape character
that's true man. I think in hard times you really get stronger. You also learn that no matter what...when you get to a low, you can still crawl your ass out of it little by little. It makes you relax some when you know the worst can't stop you forever

that's true man. I think in hard times you really get stronger. You also learn that no matter what...when you get to a low, you can still crawl your ass out of it little by little. It makes you relax some when you know the worst can't stop you forever

We honestly talk about all the time how we were happier back then with the simple things
Living off hotdogs and pasta, holidaying in a caravan
It's true what they say more money more problems

Got fired a couple months after I bought a new car. Got a new job almost immediately but it paid half of the other job so I got in credit card debt and it was pretty tight for about a couple of years until I got a promotion and a raise and things slowly started to take shape and go back to normal.

But it was pretty bad, I got anxiety and depression not only because i was poor but also because of the feeling of getting fired, even though I knew I was wrongfully terminated, it took a toll on my self-confidence. It was a pretty rough year but I made it through and now I make good money again; I bought my first apartment, paid cash for my car, have no debts and a good chunk of cash in the bank.
yea bro i think i understand that. Idk if most people realize but you're always 1 mistake from getting fired and risking no income for a bit. To me, even though I try to do my best, I sometimes worry what if...like what if I get fired. What if I can't find a job soon after. I'd be fukt

My dad has been in money trouble his whole life, and I used to have to let in assessors who'd go through our apartment for things they could sell to pay off some of his debts, because he couldn't handle being home and facing the shame. It was horrible.

Because of that trauma, I have never taken on any debt until I bought a house four years ago (and even that gave me the cold sweats for days before signing the papers). I used to live on ketchup and pasta at the end of the month when I was a student. I remember that sucking feeling you get in your stomach when you've eaten nothing but pasta for a few days. That's the brokest I've been. Always made rent, though, and never took a student loan.

We honestly talk about all the time how we were happier back then with the simple things
Living off hotdogs and pasta, holidaying in a caravan
It's true what they say more money more problems
Well I can say this, I don't buy the big lottery tickets. Not only because I think they are a waste of money (99.99times out of 100) but because I don't want to be filthy rich. There's no challenge in that. No point in working. No point in finding the value of reward of hard work bc you don't need and most likely won't still work. My ideal lottery winnings would be about 50k. THat's enough to take care of my debt and give my wife and I a comfortable life. If I was a millionaire or better, I would be on drugs, I would be running around with strippers, and over all not contributing to society. I hate to say it, but that might be me. There's reward in hard work and sacrifice. Sorry this prob sounds like ramble...which it is lol.

yea bro i think i understand that. Idk if most people realize but you're always 1 mistake from getting fired and risking no income for a bit. To me, even though I try to do my best, I sometimes worry what if...like what if I get fired. What if I can't find a job soon after. I'd be fukt

I read some good advice in a private economy manual once: live on bread and pasta until you've saved up the equivalent of two month's wages in your bank account. That safety net will protect you from unforseen circumstances and save you thousands by allowing you to avoid taking on quick loans at high rates if something bad happens. Best advice I've ever gotten: I live by it and it works.

Last edited:
Well I can say this, I don't buy the big lottery tickets. Not only because I think they are a waste of money (99.99times out of 100) but because I don't want to be filthy rich. There's no challenge in that. No point in working. No point in finding the value of reward of hard work bc you don't need and most likely won't still work. My ideal lottery winnings would be about 50k. THat's enough to take care of my debt and give my wife and I a comfortable life. If I was a millionaire or better, I would be on drugs, I would be running around with strippers, and over all not contributing to society. I hate to say it, but that might be me. There's reward in hard work and sacrifice. Sorry this prob sounds like ramble...which it is lol.

For sure man I feel ya, can see why there's a lot of miserable rich men in the world
Security is all I'm ever after in life for my wife and kids that will do me

I read some good advice in a private economy manual once: live on bread and pasta until you've saved up the equaivalent of two month's wages in your bank account. That safety net will protect you from unforseen circumstances and save you thousands by allowing you to avoid taking on quick loans at high rates if something bad happens. Best advice I've ever gotten: I live by it and it works.

That does sound like good advice

I once had an addiction, I could still function and work...but the cost of the drug was what hurt me the most. Outside of being dead broke once, I generally had enough to get by. But I look back at all the money I wasted on that shit.
What was your vice?

Yeah, but how did you manage to not pay your debt for 5 years? I assume that the bank/officers would be after you each week .
They call you and send letters
I regret it now fucked up my credit rating
But just ignored them
Sent letters every month. Same ones

My last year of college, I'd worked full time in a gap year and spent it all basically on weed and booze so had nothing. Did odd jobs and tutoring to get by, finally started a full time job and missed my phone bill payment by a week until my first paycheque came in. Broke open the piggy bank to put gas in the car. That was bad but I had a roof over my head at home and meals etc so in hindsight not too bad.

Back