What is the brokest you have ever been?

Let's just say my nickname for a year was Rocky Bottoms, and, no, that wasn't because of my taut buttocks.

Have been literally broke, no bank account, no job after high school.

But now have much debt, but a job and steady income. Sooo...

Living out of my overdraft in 2008/09 no work for carpenters in the recession
Only holiday was a weekend away with free coupons in the paper
My wife (girlfriend at the time) had to buy the petrol and the food as I was waiting to get paid off a job
Awful times but they also shape character

Never been broke, been working 20+ continuous years without a break since the day after I left university and I make a good living. Never been overdrawn, had to borrow or any of that. Luckily, my dad instilled a lasting fear of debt as well as strong pessimistic financial advice, so I’ve always saved and planned for tough times.

Sorry, I realise this makes me sound like a cunt, which I am, but I’m not a cunt because I’m good with money.

Mum, quid, pub....god damn I hate England.
My buddies and I will refer to quid when talking about money related things. For whatever reason we find that word hilarious.

On topic, most broke? I fucked up in life a couple times taking a big swing at relocation and things that completely drained my savings and took a while to bounce back from. Which in hindsight it just hit me, I would have around $20k more in the bank at the moment "in theory" if I had not made those choices.

Most broke? Right out of high school, I got a decent factory job and about a year in, I got an apartment with a buddy. Shortly after I got laid off, still had rent/community college payments/ect and was too proud to work fast food or something to hold me over. Ended up drowning in bills, pink notices started coming in before I finally gave in. I'll never forget the Wendy's interview when they told me they only paid the minimum of minimum wage and I said "that's fine" the manager exclaimed "wow you must REALLY need a job.". It took me a while to fully get back, I remember I couldn't get a debit card from my(or any bank ) for like 3 years.

Last edited:
I was buying "great value" brand ravioli from Wal-Mart which used to cost 50 cents couldn't afford chef boyardi I was also buying 30 cents chili at walmart, I had like 6 dollars worth of food in my shopping cart that made meals for two or three days,like wieners and buns to make chili dogs.
7f308ee1-1ecc-457c-b0cf-c08497026dc2_1.2c74c2a67e58eea24b807b3df93bfe3b.jpeg

6a63fce3-ec19-495e-82a3-0c7095c21e21_1.75583483c6ca4c6373ef8c9b87163f40.jpeg

Four years ago depleted all my funds on a gamble with a career change and at one point only had 30 bucks in the bank. I ended up moving back in with my parents, slept on the living room couch for a year and sold a bunch of shit I had to have some change until I found another job. Shit was awful.

These days doing much better. Cleared 97k last year, bought a house in a nice suburb, new car, nice amount of cash in the bank and recently got married too.

If you are in control it's great tool

Tonight I had bad day at work went to pub had 3 stellas and felt great
Having a bad day at work is not anxiety. Drugs and alcohol are a temporary solution for anxiety but the best thing to do is find the root cause of your anxiety and work to overcome it

Right now. Figuring shit out, but definitely not in a good place currently.

Had an empty kitchen and no car but it wasn't that bad looking back. Could walk to work and we had food there all the time.

Being so limited forces you to get creative when it comes to having fun or taking girls out. Good experience.

Right now. Figuring shit out, but definitely not in a good place currently.

Good luck dude, hope it gets better.

I was buying "great value" brand ravioli from Wal-Mart which used to cost 50 cents couldn't afford chef boyardi I was also buying 30 cents chili at walmart, I had like 6 dollars worth of food in my shopping cart that made meals for two or three days,like wieners and buns to make chili dogs.
7f308ee1-1ecc-457c-b0cf-c08497026dc2_1.2c74c2a67e58eea24b807b3df93bfe3b.jpeg

6a63fce3-ec19-495e-82a3-0c7095c21e21_1.75583483c6ca4c6373ef8c9b87163f40.jpeg

This was me during my separation, paying for two households on a not-great income. Had about 40 bucks a month for food for the worst stretch.

My bank account once hit $999,999,999.99. That was probably my all time low

Right now.

My hip's broke.

Laid up broke.

Sucks too.
Fuck dat bro, I can have a package dropped off tonight, sit back sling some rock and you’ll be stacking bills bro, pm me your address and someone will swing by

There have been a couple of times in my life where I have been rich and broke.

Whenever I am broke I:
  • get excited when I come across change.
  • eat less often.
  • eat everything on my plate, even savor the things I don't like.
  • don't have time for BS.
  • tend to appreciate the little things, which makes me more appreciative, and friendlier
  • find more loyal friends
  • often find myself in predicaments that become funny stories
  • get my patience, limits, values, relationships tested.

Being broke offers a lot of valuable life lessons. It can makes you stronger, smarter, and more compassionate. All the things that are needed to prepare yourself for when you are rich.

Great post!

I wonder what @Revolver would say

Back