What is the brokest you have ever been?

2003, just after moving to St. Louis for a woman. We lasted 1.5 months and I left our apartment while I was working a shitty part time job. Ended up living in my car for three weeks until I could put a deposit on a shitty studio apartment. Ended up getting the car repo'd a couple weeks later. Was in about $20,000 grand in debt at the time between the car and various credit lines without a pot to piss in.

I ended up getting lucky and inheriting some money shortly after, paid off all of my credit card debt, and getting my car back. The timing was crazy.

Definitely the low point in my life.

Now look at you...Sherdog moderator.

giphy.gif

Negative money.

About -$1996.40

I had maxed out my overdraft of $2000 and had $3.60 on me.

I was moving to a new country on my own dime and starting work, so there was a lot of costs involved.

Fortunately when it got to that stage, I finally got my first pay packet of about $3600 which felt like $1million.
Was very very very happy.

2003, just after moving to St. Louis for a woman. We lasted 1.5 months and I left our apartment while I was working a shitty part time job. Ended up living in my car for three weeks until I could put a deposit on a shitty studio apartment. Ended up getting the car repo'd a couple weeks later. Was in about $20,000 grand in debt at the time between the car and various credit lines without a pot to piss in.

I ended up getting lucky and inheriting some money shortly after, paid off all of my credit card debt, and getting my car back. The timing was crazy.

Definitely the low point in my life.

There seems like a lot more to this story of said chick and move to St. Louis.

had to choose between pasta or peanut butter. could not afford both.

For about a year I was homeless and strung out on alcohol and drugs. Hustled a little bit of weed to fund my habits. Times were tough

Last year I was in debt $176,000. I am working in an attempt to pay this debt off.

Oh man. I used to stress when I was younger because I was struggling to pay off a grand over draft lol. I'd be a wreck if I had your debt.

Homeless walking the street for a month n a half in the winter. That was fun. Helped me get clean for good though. I was at my worst in my addiction shortly before this. Went to detox, finished that, had nowhere to go after. Completely broke. I’ll be honest n say I had to steal food sometimes (most of the time) to get by for a bit. Used to do that before too when I had no money at all. Anyway, lost like 20 pounds in 2 months from barely eating, went to detox, had nowhere to go after, walked the streets for a month n a half n lost probably another 10 pounds doing so ffs. I was fucked. I looked like one of those tired, strung out addicts but I was clean at that point. I found it funny how getting off drugs should improve my life but having nowhere to live.. I felt like starting drugs was a bad decision, but getting clean was the worse decision I ever made cause I had nowhere to live after (was living in a trap house pretty much, heat as fuck). I guess this would be the most broke I’ve ever been. I’m ok now, though. Still like 4K in debt but that can be taken care of over time and it will. Soon-ish.

Now. I'm down 7 grand. But seeing you guys it's not that bad, because I have my job and will finish college in the end of the year, also will split the rent with my fiancée in January.

Got fired a couple months after I bought a new car. Got a new job almost immediately but it paid half of the other job so I got in credit card debt and it was pretty tight for about a couple of years until I got a promotion and a raise and things slowly started to take shape and go back to normal.

But it was pretty bad, I got anxiety and depression not only because i was poor but also because of the feeling of getting fired, even though I knew I was wrongfully terminated, it took a toll on my self-confidence. It was a pretty rough year but I made it through and now I make good money again; I bought my first apartment, paid cash for my car, have no debts and a good chunk of cash in the bank.

There were a few years after I got out of college that I didn't even make $100k, those were some dark times...

The brokest I felt was when I was in grade 7, I went to Canada to study on student visa, being a foreign student, my friends were all foreign students as well. My parents feared I would have gone rogue if I was given a lot of allowance like the typical foreign students. In comparison, my allowance was on par or even slightly better than the typical 7th grader living at home, but it pale in comparison to what foreign students get. I learned a very valuable lesson at an early age. Your situation is as good as who you comparing it to. You will never be satisfied if you compare yourself with the best, while that can be a good motivational tool, sometimes, one need to take a step back and look at the greater scheme of things and note, unless your lack of money has directly affect your health and well-being, don't get so hung up on your financial situation, especially when it comes to comparing yourself with others. If anything, comparing yourself with your older self for self improvement.

Last year I was in debt $176,000. I am working in an attempt to pay this debt off.
Bro IDK you or how you got into debt. But I can say I understand your pain. Work your butt off is all i can say. Do you mind me asking if it was from education?

Bro IDK you or how you got into debt. But I can say I understand your pain. Work your butt off is all i can say. Do you mind me asking if it was from education?

No, my education was pretty well covered through football scholarship and extremely high standardized test scores. My parents picked up the rest. I never had debt from education.

And what did you do to acquire funds?
IDK this isn't really a sob story but the brokest I've been was collecting about $20 worth of change (from car, couches, room, even looked on the ground at work) to drive to walmart to insert in a coin machine for cash. I had 4 more days before payday. I guess I didn't want to be seen buying food with dimes and nickels. That would have been embarrassing. I was able to make it on an empty tank to walmart and put $5 gas in to get me home and through to week to my next paycheck. The rest was for food and I just drink the city water which wasn't a prob. Luckily all of my bills were paid and have always been paid. But I did what I had to do. I didn't have a credit card at the time either. Didn't think I ever needed one, but after that experience I signed up for one. I had be real careful for the next few pay periods to make sure i had enough before I got out of that hole.

I've generally always had enough money to get me to next paycheck. But in that situation I had a string of bills and other unforeseen expenses I had to take care of which left me with very little a few days. I also could have asked my parents or brother for food but I was too embarrassed to ask and my pride was in the way and I would have rather went without food for a few days than to do that. I had a little bit of food on hand. All the while I kept it from my girlfriend at the time (now my wife).

Since that day/week I still have college loans and other loans i'm paying off, but I've managed to save up about 3 months salary. It's not like i'm rich, technically a homeless man has more money than I...I just have more assets. I look back on that day and I remember the struggle, but at least I can look back and laugh

Never been poor but broke, sure.

I was in college and went to Walmart and didn't know I was broke. Bought a single rice krispies treat bar and my debit card was denied...it was embarrassing to say the least.

Got my paycheck and back I was to being rich, living paycheck to paycheck lol.

Back