What do you guys think of Wing Chun?

WC > Everything

That is all.

WC is useless if you can not beat other WC guys and can not apply them against a muay thai fighter or mma guy. Thats the conclusion

No...I think WC > ALL. That's the conclusion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions I agree WC is great and works for me though it might not be for everyone and everyone to their own.

A Silva uses the side leg kick alot, and some people use trapping because of jkd influence- but yea, this might be the most underrated MA today (kung fu in general has a bad rap)

For real though....Wushu is amazing. Not the modern day shit the old shit.

I just started a thread about wing chun...maybe someone could help me out check the thread...

WC is useless if you can not beat other WC guys and can not apply them against a muay thai fighter or mma guy. Thats the conclusion

That applies to every art, if you can't apply it it is useless done and done.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions I agree WC is great and works for me ...

Not trolling, but when you say it "works" for you, what exactly do you mean?

That it works for you as a hobby, for fitness...or that you've used it successfully in competition against practitioners of other striking arts? i.e. Muay Thai, boxing, etc...

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking. That said, what boxers/kickboxers don't do that chunners (at least try to) do is stick longer when they trap. You see how Machida not only pats a punch aside, but sticks to it for an extra split second as he guides it off path? That's the general idea of "trapping" as far as I can tell.

It definitely yields a greater result than a boxing parry, in terms of off-balancing, but its so much harder to pull off. I use it in sparring occasionally and I think it's a valid move, but I'm skeptical of the notion that this could be somebody's entire defensive game.

Anyways, I do have some first hand experience sparring WC guys... The ones that I've worked with had no concept of angles and weren't ready for hooks or even straights that came from off center. Also, no response for leg kicks.

I think that there's some good stuff in the system, but I'm yet to see or meet anyone who can make it work as a whole. (Admittedly though, I don't spend a lot of time searching.) I would think that live training would help, but even the WC guys on fight quest who did plenty of hard sparring were barely able to use the techniques that the system boasts, nor did they spar particularly well.

I'm not closed to the idea of someone making it work for MMA, but I personally haven't seen anything to indicate that it will happen.

Trapping is more of an in fighting system. And them not stopping your kicks is a sign that they were bad. A good WC user will stomp on your lead knee and attempt to use a quick straight from the chest or grab your hands to control your wrists.
Anyhow, WC in and of itself isn't going to do TO hot, but the things they show you in there work great if used with other techniques. I've always felt that trapping hands would rock if you used it while dirty boxing, and that the knee stomps would help tons with clinch takedowns or to setup some nice strikes while coming in.

Trapping is more of an in fighting system. And them not stopping your kicks is a sign that they were bad. A good WC user will stomp on your lead knee and attempt to use a quick straight from the chest or grab your hands to control your wrists.
Anyhow, WC in and of itself isn't going to do TO hot, but the things they show you in there work great if used with other techniques. I've always felt that trapping hands would rock if you used it while dirty boxing, and that the knee stomps would help tons with clinch takedowns or to setup some nice strikes while coming in.

IMO, a good wc person will use the closest weapon to the closest target, and WILL NOT chase hands (e.g grab your hands). Grabbing anything before trying to hit is bad wing chun, and using wrist control in general has a low success rate --it's the jum jang and chum kiu (seeking) movements that are better for contolled hitting.

Real fighting based wc will use punch (attack) first and the tan, fook, bong, lap, kau, and etcetera second. The "trapping" is a byproduct of the opponent obstructing the line of attack, not the goal of the wc person.

Last edited:
Trapping is a secondary product that is produced when one blocks punchs or obstructs the path of ones strike.....

Not trolling, but when you say it "works" for you, what exactly do you mean?

That it works for you as a hobby, for fitness...or that you've used it successfully in competition against practitioners of other striking arts? i.e. Muay Thai, boxing, etc...

I don't do striking competitions though I did have one kick boxing match 12 years ago that I lost before I went off to college if that counts. I don't really compete in tournaments though it works for me while striking for my sparring with people I train with at both my WC & BJJ gyms (I do both at seperate gyms) and the few attacks I have encountered at work as a jail guard it has worked. I do combine a little bit of boxing with my WC but it works for me.

I don't do striking competitions though I did have one kick boxing match 12 years ago that I lost before I went off to college if that counts. I don't really compete in tournaments though it works for me while striking for my sparring with people I train with at both my WC & BJJ gyms (I do both at seperate gyms) and the few attacks I have encountered at work as a jail guard it has worked. I do combine a little bit of boxing with my WC but it works for me.

Cool, thanks for the response.

Any one here faught any wing chun guys?

i went sparring today against a muay thai fighter, i was a lot easier with wearing mma gloves instead of big boxing gloves.

me and my friend that trained wing chun sparred, and it was fucking hard to hit him.
Cause they are faaaaast when it comes to countering.

me and my friend that trained wing chun sparred, and it was fucking hard to hit him.
Cause they are faaaaast when it comes to countering.

As it should be. The speed in countering has more to do with timing, distance, and technique as opposed to mechanical speed. Being relaxed tends to help though.

As a side note I've worked with guys whereby I tried using standard boxing/muay thai hands at first, and while a couple shots would get in their defense was too good at that range. So I blended into wing chun --hits got in far better and I had better control over the situation.

Moral of the story is that one method of hand technique isn't necessarily the best for all situations.

Last edited:
Think about this for a second though, as barnowl makes a good point.

Yes, perfect technique can overcome the strength of an attack. You see it illustrated with something as simple as parrying a strong punch, or using proper technique to escape a side control, or stepping out to catch the round kick and counter punch.

The misconception with this notion that some people have is that a small person--say 100lbs--can overcome a bigger / stronger person say at 200lbs consistently. While in theory perfect technique can overcome sheer strength, how many times do you execute techniques perfectly? The fact of the matter is that size DOES matter for the most part. If it didn't, we wouldn't have weight classes in most fight sports.

That's not to say that there isn't the occasional small guy beating the big guy scenario...you can see it in Kyokushin tourneys (as they don't have weight classes). But more the case is that you are at a disadvantage fighting someone bigger, stronger, or more athletic than you. So you strive to make sure your technique is as good as it can be so that you have better chance at beating the person who has these advantages over you.

I think also that your strategy/tactics play just as important of a role, since your brain is the best weapon you have. Perfect technique doesn't matter if you're not going about the fight in a manner which allows you to capitalize on YOUR strengths.

best post in here, irregardless of how effective your art is or your tech is; if you use said art/tech w/flawless executution, IT WILL NOT BE EFFECTIVE if your using it in the wrong situation against the wrong opp or in the wrong range.

being technical is awesome; being situationally aware is even moreso, when you are aware of what the situation calls for or what situation your tech is most effective at then you are really more of a martial artist or effective fighter. Much moreso than the tech perfect guy who can't eff determine the right spots or times to apply said tech.

its like in football; if they stack the box for the run, you don't run it. Even if you got a topnotch back, you are gonna lose yard, not gain or get him lit up cus they are ready for it; no matter how perfect that run is set up, they are expecting run so your gonna get stymied.

but if you use run when they are expecting pass or you use run when the box isn't stacked then your great; but when you try to force something to be effective, esp when it plays to the strengths of your opp your gonna get handled and tech or fighting is no diff.

you can scheme tech and your can scheme physical abilities; i don't have to be as good as you are tech, i just have to be good enough to figure out what your doing and where its most effective, then take that away from you.

What don't I think about wing chun? It is possibly the best martial art ever. Every other martial art is inferior to wing chun because of its discipline. Its discipline teaches you how to fight on the street by preparing you for any encounter: fists, kicks, bitches, knives, guns, suicide bomber etc.

Wing Chun saved my life, and because of this I have Wing Chun every Wednesday on Wing Chun night: any pound of Wing Chun for $5.

What don't I think about wing chun? It is possibly the best martial art ever. Every other martial art is inferior to wing chun because of its discipline. Its discipline teaches you how to fight on the street by preparing you for any encounter: fists, kicks, bitches, knives, guns, suicide bomber etc.

Wing Chun saved my life, and because of this I have Wing Chun every Wednesday on Wing Chun night: any pound of Wing Chun for $5.

Why don't you elaborate on how it saved your life?

No problem, what kind of training do you do?

I wrestled in high school, then did some boxing, now I train Muay Thai - between injuries that is.

My neck is all messed up these days, from a hit I took playing hockey 5 yrs ago. I go from feeling great and training and sparring hard for weeks and sometimes months straight, then reaggravating the old injury and being flat on my back in bed for 4 days straight. Sucks. :mad:

Back