What do you guys think of Wing Chun?

Bruce Lee mostly abandoned it for a reason. It's not practical in real-world martial arts.

Bruce Lee was rejected from the school because he made a fool of many elder students who were acting like they were better but then hardly trained. He was a bit of an ass and pissed off some of Yip Man's other students they then went to him and tried to have him removed. Regardless of that Yip refused but later it was said they gave him a reason. I was told that they told him if he didn't they would stop paying him. Im not sure how true any of this is but what I have been told is that Yip had a gambling issue and was not good with money so his students took care of that. I have also heard Bruce Lee's mother had German ancestry and this was one other reason Yip dismissed him. Supposedly Yip didn't much care but had little choice and according to William Cheung was told to continue to train him. If any of this is correct Bruce realized Cheung was very good but didn't know that Yip had showed him anything secret. Bruce knew what he was taught was not as good as it should be and he then started learning other things. He then came up with JKD from what I remember he was a bit upset because he wanted people to adapt to their own needs but many wanted to learn his fighting method and started to emulate him. If Cheung is telling the truth he has said Bruce was planning to visit before his death and Cheung was going to tell him about his private lessons with Yip. This is in his book: My Life With Wing Chun Pg62.

Hi all

How come I dont see wing chun in MMA?

I do wing chun mostly. and did boxing, sanshou, muay thai, never really like boxing so i quit that. Still do muaythai n sanshou sometimes.

Anyone here do wing chun or have fought wing chun ppl?

Im not saying wing chun is the best or anything like that. I m just interested in how wing chun stands against the rest.

I have little experience with any Wing Chun outside my own school. I myself think Wing Chun is very good many of my classmates have used it effectively. I have only had one incident several months back I had to use my training to defend myself. I managed to break the guys rib. A friend I train with used to work security at some local Hispanic bars he talks about it a lot when we train. He has said numerous times that Wing Chun saved his ass when he had to deal with guys bigger than himself who sometimes had knives. He has some real world experience that many teachers don't. Although I have done some security work I never had anything happen. The reason Wing Chun fighters are not in MMA is that there are few Wing Chun schools that care about MMA or train for it. If you do Wing Chun and like MMA go find a place to train MMA and do your best to stick to your Wing Chun. All Wing Chun needs is a good ground game. Get some Grappling training and then train for MMA.

Im going to say this now because I know my Wing Chun is different from many others. We do use roundhouse kicks some systems don't I use them a lot, Also people have talked about the roll punches and I don't get it because we don't only use the rolling punches. My instructors have used hooks and such although not the same our Wing Chun is similar to boxing other than we have the roll punches. I only use roll punches when im in close and am ready to follow up an attack after I have blocked or whatever. The roll punches are great up close but until you close the distance they aren't very effective. I feel many have a huge lack of understanding about Wing Chun techniques. Your not going to start off throwing a bunch of roll punches. The punch is used just like a jab the only difference is that we use a Sun Fist. Once your close and have opening then you unleash the rolling punches.

Well, Anderson said he is doing Wing-Chun. We may see some WC action on the 7th.

Alan Orr sure makes it look good. I dont think its useful in mma but ONE on ONE in the street against a joe shmoe, seems decent (unless/until it hits the floor)

Back