What do you guys think of Wing Chun?

M

Mazinkaiser

Hi all

How come I dont see wing chun in MMA?

I do wing chun mostly. and did boxing, sanshou, muay thai, never really like boxing so i quit that. Still do muaythai n sanshou sometimes.

Anyone here do wing chun or have fought wing chun ppl?

Im not saying wing chun is the best or anything like that. I m just interested in how wing chun stands against the rest.

A Silva uses the side leg kick alot, and some people use trapping because of jkd influence- but yea, this might be the most underrated MA today (kung fu in general has a bad rap)

there are many many different martial arts in kung fu. so its hard to "rate" it.

It has it's street close quarters application, and it's hand trapping techniques are actually pretty similar to how Arnis fighters disarm weapons. Wing Chun is all about hitting the vital parts (eyes, groin, nose, etc.) with the fastest attack and the longest range, and although they're good in theory, it wouldn't work too well against other striking arts, that's why Bruce Lee, although he has Wing Chun as base, he adopted other styles to complement it better.

Heck it lost to amateur boxing terribly back then, if what I heard about this Wing Chun guy in the 60s nicknamed "Stretcher Wong" are to believe. Before he was called "Stretcher" Wong, he kept challenging amateur boxers in a fight and... well, it resulted to his nickname. If that were true, that may be one of the reasons why Bruce Lee decided to look into other arts.

It has it's street close quarters application, and it's hand trapping techniques are actually pretty similar to how Arnis fighters disarm weapons. Wing Chun is all about hitting the vital parts (eyes, groin, nose, etc.) with the fastest attack and the longest range, and although they're good in theory, it wouldn't work too well against other striking arts, that's why Bruce Lee, although he has Wing Chun as base, he adopted other styles to complement it better.

Heck it lost to amateur boxing terribly back then, if what I heard about this Wing Chun guy in the 60s nicknamed "Stretcher Wong" are to believe. Before he was called "Stretcher" Wong, he kept challenging amateur boxers in a fight and... well, it resulted to his nickname. If that were true, that may be one of the reasons why Bruce Lee decided to look into other arts.

well put..... many wing chun techniques arent suitable / allowed in the cage...it is not designed for a combat sport, however was for the villages to protect themselves

Hi all

How come I dont see wing chun in MMA?

I do wing chun mostly. and did boxing, sanshou, muay thai, never really like boxing so i quit that. Still do muaythai n sanshou sometimes.

Anyone here do wing chun or have fought wing chun ppl?

Im not saying wing chun is the best or anything like that. I m just interested in how wing chun stands against the rest.

Watching CC's fight against Perosh I saw him use what seemed like a PAK SAO blocking/deflecting technique to me even thogh Mirko probably never heard of Wing Chun.

pak-w-6.gif

pak-2-6.gif

Also known as a parry or hand parry to boxers, kickboxers and anyone else who knows how to fight. It's not even close to being exclusive to WC.

Any one here faught any wing chun guys?

i went sparring today against a muay thai fighter, i was a lot easier with wearing mma gloves instead of big boxing gloves.

I do WC & BJJ at 2 seperate schools. I like WC a lot it works for me but isn't for everyone. I think it's sensitivity drills help me with my clinch work etc. Most people on this forum are more Muay thai or Karate orientated which is fine with me.....

Pak sao or parrys are good techniques used in many arts it's just how people apply them and the angulation and amount of the force used.....

Someone asked that question almost 4 years ago http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/wing-chun-mma-450132/ Still not much has changed here.

But, I wonder if some of our members could tell us if they use it in the MMA fights in China? After all, there is much more San Shou and stuff used there (makes sense) so perhaps WC is used more too?

For whatever reason WC is realatively unknown in mainland China compared to Hong Kong Probablly because of Yip Man bringing the art over there or who knows.....

After watching the Fight Quest on it I think it is crap. They have hard sparring but that is it.

If you want to learn a real bad ass chinese martial art learn Sanda/Sanshou.

@cro cop gifs: Yep it's a boxing parry

After watching the Fight Quest on it I think it is crap. They have hard sparring but that is it.

If you want to learn a real bad ass chinese martial art learn Sanda/Sanshou.

Yeah WC hasn't really truly evolved compared to Sanda/Sanshou, which actually looks like modern kickboxing.

Speaking of which, a Wing Chun guy went to the M-1 Global tryouts...

YouTube - WING CHUN FAIL at M-1 Global Tryouts; Thiago Silva wants Rematches: MMA Confidential

For whatever reason WC is realatively unknown in mainland China compared to Hong Kong Probablly because of Yip Man bringing the art over there or who knows.....

This has to do with the Communists taking over and then their cultural revolution. I've read in a book, can't remember which, that a lot of the good kung fu instructors of all styles left for other parts Asia b/c they were being or going to be persecuted.

Hong Kong & Taiwan got the most of them. HK because it's close and Taiwan b/c that's where the Nationalists fled to.

Yeah WC hasn't really truly evolved compared to Sanda/Sanshou, which actually looks like modern kickboxing.

That's because Sanda/Sanshou was built to take on or compete with Muay Thai/kickboxing.

Back