What do British history teachers teach the British children?

On a more useful reply to this thread. The only topic that has to be taught in English schools is the Holocaust. There is an increasing amount of Empire stuff taught (though often it's just tacked on to the slave trade)

They taught me how to conquer a country with nothing but a flag and a stiff upper lip.

The American revolution was a civil war. Essentially republican. That Britain was involved in some serious shit at the time and that self determination was a logical consequence of our progression.

To be honest though, not a lot is taught about America except the first settlers.

America is a very recent footnote in an otherwise rich and varied history, if anything it is seen as an addendum to British history.

More time is spent on the royalty, the birth of commerce and finance, the world wars, colonialism (of which America is a footnote) and world history by far.

Appreciate all the interesting answers!

It’s weird how the original Super Societies of history are nothing now. Greece is bankrupt and has a failing infrastructure. The Roman Empire has become a corrupt inept small country, mainly just known for its sports cars and cuisine. Same could be said for Many great cultures....Egypt, Ottomans, Etc No power in the scope of the world.
Empires rise and fall. Not all that strange.

If anyone thinks their history classes weren't full of propaganda.

Americans think they won WWII ffs.

If anyone thinks their history classes weren't full of propaganda.

Americans think they won WWII ffs.

History can't help but be political. It is impossible to teach all of history so the act of what you choose (and therefore exclude) will be driven by political motivation and sensibilities.

There was (and to a lesser extent continues to be) a push by our Conservative government to promote more 'Great' Britishness and British values.

Yeah we were the best country and then the most badass and brave members of our society went and started their own country. We sent our whole army over there but they still kicked the shit out of us. Now they are the best country and could murder us all if they wanted to.
they tell them the truth, Vietnam kicked yankee ass, but for Russia hitler would've won ww2 and the French are the real reason they lost the revolutionary war.

Last edited:
Yeah we were the best country and then the most badass and brave members of our society went and started their own country. We sent our whole army over there but they still kicked the shit out of us. Now they are the best country and could murder us all if they wanted to.

I lived in the UK for 11 years. And while every country has it's own nationalist tilt, I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that the world history they teach in school is a lot closer to the truth than the world history the US teaches in school.

Empires rise and fall. Not all that strange.

Correct, not at all unusual. They all fall, and they all thought they were going to last forever when they were on top.

You never really know how long your title reign is going to last. So you need to square away your future certainty while you are on top.

That the USA beat the shit out of them and stopped them from speaking German....the fucking ingrates.

History can't help but be political. It is impossible to teach all of history so the act of what you choose (and therefore exclude) will be driven by political motivation and sensibilities.

There was (and to a lesser extent continues to be) a push by our Conservative government to promote more 'Great' Britishness and British values.

True.

Modern British values i would add however. Colonial Britain wasn't all tea and scones.

As an Aussie i do want to know how much British schools discuss treatment of aboriginals in Australia. We sort of got the early british years explained but largely glossed over the actions by Australian governments.

True.

Modern British values i would add however. Colonial Britain wasn't all tea and scones.

As an Aussie i do want to know how much British schools discuss treatment of aboriginals in Australia. We sort of got the early british years explained but largely glossed over the actions by Australian governments.

The closest I've seen is an English class looking at 'The Rabbit-Proof Fence'. Very little mention of Australia in any historical study of British colonialism. It's normally slavery and maybe a case study looking at India. It is increasingly a topic at GCSE so that might be changing.

Back