What brought you to sherdog?

I wanted to read MMA discussion. I found this place within the first month of getting into MMA (September 2008) and it was all so new and exciting that at the time I never realized how truly godawful the Heavies was.

Now I barely read the Heavies, and I mostly just shitpost and insult people in OT and Mayberry.

<{1-16}>
and you make polls dawg. Dont forget the polls

BTFO to all those who stand in my way!

<18><18>
<18>

What's the story here?

Oh not much of one. There were many offshoot sites that spawned from the early 2008 version of the OT and all of those hooligans decided they'd bomb the joint after being bant.

Scoundrels I tell you.

Lurking: just wondering about the best fighters out there. Lurked on Sherdog, MMA.tv, and Bullshido (probably newsgroups and other sites too, can't remember that much) in the late 90's/early 2000's, then my time between visits grew, I'd have periods where I'd get super interested, then others where I'd go without much info at all, then I got really interested again during the whole Chuck-Tito ordeal and have stuck with it on a daily basis since.

Posting: tried to sign up/post on some sites pretty early on, can't remember if I ever posted anything (would have had a different e-mail and user name on any sites then if I ever posted at all). It was basic semi-ignorant stuff from someone that grew up with the golden era of martial arts media in their mind: Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Van Damme, and Seagal; 70's and 80's kickboxing and point fighting with Norris, Bob Wall, Joe Lewis, Benny the Jet, and Don Wilson; and the guys that peddled that they were secret masters like Count Dante and Frank Dux. I had already watched most of the early UFC's on illegal cable black boxes, but then I learned about Rickson and the Machados and such who were supposed to have been (and were) significantly better than Royce, and learned about catch wrestling as well through learning about Ken Shamrock's lineage; tried to sign up here around the Chuck-Tito thing, but there were errors, tried again in early 2005, same deal, finally went through in late 2005.

the just bleed gods demanded i visit and sign up to the sherdog, so i did.

8rWSPVW.gif

A buddy of mine worked with a couple guys that were huge Anderson Silva fans. They would always tell him about "Sherdog", eventually checked it out.

MMA ofc, but also unlike most forums that are an eye-raping white in color this is a comfortable black, the only other forum I write on is also dark in color. Imo the internet should adopt the sherdog black as the de facto standard, instead it's like 99% bright white, white works on paper but on a screen it's just an eye-rape (especially at night).

I Google'd "mma forums" because I wanted someone else to talk to about mma other than the two or three people I was watching it with regularly.

2003 I started watching K1 on eurosport and went to research guys like LeBanner, Aerts etc.
Then found some weird fight records on sherdog, just 1-2 fights or none at all. Quickly realized its that barbarian cage fighting stuff.

Didnt come back until 2005 when I started watching Pride and training a bit.
Ordered some Hitman gear and the guy didnt deliver so I joined the forum after I found a good thread with contact info.

i first discovered sherdog for fighter records.

in my google searches for fight equipment, it always led me to sherdog forums.
making me believe that these folks have more experience with gear more. certainly more than any other place i have seen.

i finally decided to sign up this year after years of using the site.

Probably fight finder. I used to lurk the UFC.tv forums after Griffin vs Bonnar re-ignited my interest in UFC but those were terrible.

I worked weekends and I needed to check the play by play if I wasn't going to order the PPV when I got home. It was the most navigable by phone. I clicked on the forums likely during a boring shift or downtime and as they say the rest is history.

During the peak of my MMA interest phase (we're talking 2010-2013) I spent most of my time watching old fights and reading about upcoming events.

I soon found out about sherdog probably during a Google search for "UFC"? Realizing how good the UFC forum was I never left. Now my interest in MMA is pretty much gone and the Mayberry lounge is where I spend my time

I played teh UFC game, can't remember which one. I think it had Forrest and Anderson on the cover.

Does anyone know if the heavies ever had gems like Christian "heavy hands" Butto, UberTS, Vegas News, Hightop fade Kongo, after those glory days?

The heavies had some greats.

Another forum used to talk shit about Sherdoggers. I decided to check out the site to see if it was really as bad as they were making it out to be.

It wasn't.

It was worse.

But I decided to stay anyway.

Back