We're all in agreement right? The winner of Khabib/Tony is the real champ.

Generally that’s the case. The champion has to actually fight for that to happen.

Sure. No reason besides gossip to think he won't. SD is pretty high on gossip and rumors though.

Hell yeah! The winner is the real champ.

I you all really believed that you wouldn't care if Conor got stripped or not.

"We recognize Tony as the real belt holder"

"Conor must be stripped so they can make this for the real belt"

You either acknowledge it or you don't
Which is it?

No...according to the OFFICIAL record, Conor is the champion.

giphy.gif

He is not the best LW. His belt only means he can beat Eddie. I have never seen anything like this, it is a joke. He is a protected champion and everyone knows this.

It's about the principle it's predicated on, not when people apply it. Which was actually the point I'm making. Either you do have to beat the champ to become the champ or you don't.

No, its not.

There is no cognitive dissonance between claiming that a fighter needs to convincingly beat a champion to win a decision and claiming that a healthy champion that refuses to fight should be stripped from his belt.

The principle is so different that it has no meaning beyond some literal interpretation that of course is completely idiotic.

According to your logic if Conor died in an accident tomorrow the UFC would have to retire the LW championship belt forever because you can no longer "beat the champ to be the champ".

Also its not even a principle, its merely an observation pointing out that judges will favor the champ in close decision.

Don't care what is to be considered the real champ these days. The meaning of the belt is certainly down the drain at LW.

But the winner of Khabib-Ferg is certainly the best LW and the man to beat.

No, its not.

There is no cognitive dissonance between claiming that a fighter needs to convincingly beat a champion to win a decision and claiming that a healthy champion that refuses to fight should be stripped from his belt.

Last time I checked if someone officially beats a champion they become the champion. So there is definitely a mechanism based on a principle that one takes the mantle of champion by besting the champion. This mechanism is the basis for that saying. It used for close decisions, but it doesn't mean that it stops there obviously, as it also dictates who becomes the champion in not so close decisions or in fights that end in finishes.

Also this is not about stripping the belt, but about a general consensus of what we consider the real champion, check the thread title. Show me the proof he refuses to fight, because I have only seen him say he wants to fight.

No. The champion is Connor. And if he’s an active fighter and didn’t lose the belt by loss. He’s a fighter. He can fight when he pleases to.
A guy like khabib k ones this. He doesn’t even want an interim belt. He wants the real one.
Tony thinks he’s the champion by winning the title against Kevin Lee.
Sure I think khabib is the best at 155 but he’s not the champion until he beats the champion.

Just like dc. As great as he is he’s second best.
Everyone watched him get beat twice. The last time by ko.
DC is a competitor and even he realizes and it’s a bitter pill to swallow that he’s a well established second best.

Edit
If conor retired which In reading on here then sure tony and khabib would be for the real title.

It’s already been over a year and he has no scheduled fight on the horizon.

1 year and 5 months to be exact. He will have gone 2 years and 1 month if he fights in September. The UFC will now have to allow healthy champions to take years off from fighting.

Last time I checked if someone official beats a champion they become the champion.

Yes, this is so obvious i dont think you will find anyone that disagrees.

This mechanism is the basis for that saying. It used for close decisions, but it doesn't mean that it stops there obviously, as it also dictat3es who becomes the champion in not so close decisions or in fights that end in finishes.

Actually it does stops there, you cant simply extend the usage of said phrase into a pretty specific situation that has never presented itself just because you want others to look like they are suffering from cognitive dissonance.

Also this is not about stripping the belt, but about a general consensus of what we consider the real champion, check the thread title.

And the general consensus is that if a champion refuses to take on contenders, then that champion must be stripped from his belt.

Show me the proof he refuses to fight, because I have only seen him say he wants to fight.

432 days without defending and no fight announced, and thats without a single injury.

Thats proof enough.

No, its not.

The principle is so different that it has no meaning beyond some literal interpretation that of course is completely idiotic.

According to your logic if Conor died in an accident tomorrow the UFC would have to retire the LW championship belt forever because you can no longer "beat the champ to be the champ".

Also its not even a principle, its merely an observation pointing out that judges will favor the champ in close decision.

What kind of cognitive dissonance is needed to say that the literal interpretation is completely idiotic, when that is actually how the champion is crowned in most cases.

Hey, I did never said there can't be any exceptions, like for example they refuse to fight, like you suggested. Problem is, Conor hasn't actually refused to fight.

Conor is 2-2 against UFC LW fighters.
Khabib and Tony are 21-1 against UFC LW fighters.

Khabib and Tony are the clear dominate LW's.

If they are fighting for the interim belt instead of the real one, we all know whats going on.

Conor's ducking Tony. Making Tony fight his fights.

Just because UFC is labeling the fight as the interim belt doesn't mean its true. We (the fans) are the ones that dictate who true champ is. UFC is a business. Having Conor keep the belt is a business move. As a sport though, we all know that the winner of Khabib/Tony is the real champ.
Absolutely

Hey, I did never said there can't be any exceptions, like for example they refuse to fight, like you suggested. Problem is, Conor hasn't actually refused to fight.

Conor has absolutely refused to fight.

Back