We're all in agreement right? The winner of Khabib/Tony is the real champ.

I wonder why we don't hear the mantra of "You gotta beat the champ to become the champ." anymore. Seems it always pops up when it's convenient to the argument, but never really consistently used.
Because the champ doesnt want to fight any real contenders.

Real MMA fans know that Conrad is a farce. The real champ is Tony Ferguson

No...according to the OFFICIAL record, Conor is the champion.

giphy.gif

If they are fighting for the interim belt instead of the real one, we all know whats going on.

Conor's ducking Tony. Making Tony fight his fights.

Just because UFC is labeling the fight as the interim belt doesn't mean its true. We (the fans) are the ones that dictate who true champ is. UFC is a business. Having Conor keep the belt is a business move. As a sport though, we all know that the winner of Khabib/Tony is the real champ.

beating Kevin Lee doesn't make you an Interim Champ at LW.... lol.. yall got scammed for $

Nice outlook, until the shoe is on the other foot and he gets stripped. If that happens, will you then be on here arguing against the reality that you are throwing out there now because it suits your needs?

I have to concede that until he is stripped then technically he is the champion. If we want to be clinical about it then we would be free to observe him as a shitty champion who has no excuse not to do what is expected of a champion. He is not injured, he is not suspended or in a legal mess. He is healthy and not doing his job=shitty champion.

I mean really, the guy has claimed 4 belts in his career and never defended a single one, he has carefully tiptoed his way into becoming super rich without doing half the work. Some people would praise him for being smart and I agree with that. Some could also say his fans are stupid, I also agree with that.
At the end of the day, in the business of fighting, you should be required to fight no matter how many people have a crush on you.

He will fight in Sept or this Summer. Around year or less than his last fight. It was promoted by the UFC and made them a lot of money. Blame the UFC.

I'm usually a strict believer that you have to dethrone the champ to become one... But in this case the champ is healthy and doesn't want to defend.

So yes, the winner of this one will be the real champ in most fans minds.

I wonder why we don't hear the mantra of "You gotta beat the champ to become the champ." anymore. Seems it always pops up when it's convenient to the argument, but never really consistently used.
Generally that’s the case. The champion has to actually fight for that to happen.

That mantra is about close decisions going to the champ.

Absolutely nothing to do with anything here.

Oh you're correct, the closest fighter was Frank Mir , but that was due to a motorcycle crash.
Oh yeah, I remember that. Pretty valid considering the circumstances. Thanks for confirming.

That mantra is about close decisions going to the champ.

Absolutely nothing to do with anything here.

It's about the principle it's predicated on, not when people apply it. Which was actually the point I'm making. Either you do have to beat the champ to become the champ or you don't.

Back