Weight classes where the Champion is not the best fighter in the division

GSP is my number 1 all time. GSP Jones, Fedor, Anderson in that order. Don't get me wrong, but it's a whole different WW era now, GSP is 35 and has been out of the game 3 years with multiple knee surgeries. I'm not hopeful he beats these guys.

Platinum GOAT. Are you even joking brah?

Cormier, Bisping, Conor, and Max are all lucky to be champ.

Dude you're fucking kidding me with this shit right? I know you have to be. Mike Perry would fucking cringe to even be sharing the octagon with Jonny Bones. Bones would fucking M-U-R-D-E-R Perry.
From what ive seen Jon Bones Jones, while very skilled, lacks finishing power. When you have Platinum Mike power versus someone who cant put people away, then we have 25 minutes of fight where Perry can turn Jon's lights out with any single platinum strike. I know jones is skilled, but can he last 25 minutes against some of the most devastating KO power the UFC has ever seen? I dont know man....

At LHW I think Cormier plays second fiddle to Jones.

At MW I think Bisping loses to Whittaker, Romero, Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, Gastelum, Mousasi and probably others too but those guys definitely.

At Welterweight I think Rory and Lorenz are better than everyone in the UFC currently.

At Lightweight I think Khabib beats Conor and I feel like a lot of other top guys at least have a 50/50 shot at beating Conor, Conor ducks entire divisions though

I feel Stipe, Holloway, Garbrandt and Mighty Mouse are probably at the apex of their divisions though, Cody vs Dillashaw still needs to happen though to be sure.
No mention of Tony for LW?

From what ive seen Jon Bones Jones, while very skilled, lacks finishing power. When you have Platinum Mike power versus someone who cant put people away, then we have 25 minutes of fight where Perry can turn Jon's lights out with any single platinum strike. I know jones is skilled, but can he last 25 minutes against some of the most devastating KO power the UFC has ever seen? I dont know man....
The most powerful in the welterweight division has to be Tyron Woodley, next would be Lawler. Perry is just a guy that relies on KO power with poor technique and we've seen how far that gets you in the big show.. I'll bet everything that Perry won't crack top 5. ever. he'll probably be one of those gatekeepers, which is good I guess, but he'll never be able to grasp the title. as long as you have killers like Lawler, Woodley, Wonderboy, Condit(although his career is up in the air) Masvidal, Maia... those are all guys that Perry couldn't get past. Perry has KO power, but he hasn't shown anyone that he has what it takes to hang with the big dogs and knocking out Ellenberger isn't impressive at all, because, Ellenberger has been finished so many times, but it was a devastating knockout so I give credit where credit is due. my point is, someone that goes in there flat footed and all they know how to do is throw wild haymakers, they will get shut down in all aspects against the top guys in their division. put him in there with Wonderboy or Demian Maia and we'll see just how good Perry is. until then, he's just a guy with KO power.

What do we think Sherdoggers? Are the Champions of most divisions the best fighter in the division or are they there due to fortunate circumstances? I know a lot of people don't seem Michael Bisping as the best MW, some argue that he isn't even top ten. Are there other weight classes where that is the case?

Personally I'd like to make an argument that the Welterweight division does not have the best fighter sitting at the top. In fact I'd probably put him at number three with Demian Maia at number two. This will hopefully be put to the test soon, but in my mind there is no question who the number one Welterweight in the UFC is - Platinum Mike Perry.

21yLVTU.jpg

I'm sure many will disagree with what I've said here but remember this is an open discussion to talk about weight classes where the champion is not the best fighter - not bash Platinum Mike Perry.

Platinum looks like Munster rugby star, Simon Zebo there.

inpho-00870441.jpg

Mike Perry is clearly the best WW but cannot prove it yet because Woodley has been ducking him non stop

Good question Kristian

Lets see...

I think Cormier is the best HW fighter on the roster, hes not HW champ

Jon Jones best fighter at LHW, hes not LHW champ

Yoel Romero best MW fighter, unless Platinum Mike Perry decides to move up

Platinun Mike Perry best at WW, not champ yet

Platinum Mike Perry best LW fighter if he decides to cut some weight

I dont really watch the manlets anymore not sure about those other divisions

I'm confused. People who use the term manlet consider 5'10 manlet status.

Perry is 5 '10. So you're MMA God is a manlet?

170, 185, 205, women's 145. These 4 divisions to me clearly have champs that aren't the best in their division. You can make an argument against almost all the other champs as well but it would just be speculation. Joanna and DJ are clearly the best in their divisions though.

Last edited:
HW: champ: Stipe, best: Stipe
LHW: champ: Cormier, best: Jones
MW: champ: Bisping, best: Romero
WW: champ: Woodley, best: Conor
LW: champ: Conor, best: Conor
FW: champ: Holloway, best: Conor
BW: champ: Cody, best: Cody
FlyW: champ: Johnson, best: Johnson
WBW: champ: Nunes, best: Nunes
WSW: champ: Joanna, best: Joanna

I'm confused. People who use the term manlet consider 5'10 manlet status.

Perry is 5 '10. So you're MMA God is a manlet?
Perry is big as fuck dude manlet is where they do the 10 lbs weight class difference because if they did 15lbs each weight class would be double the size

Bisping is barely even top 5 in his division.

FW, LW, WW, MW, LHW, HW.

FW: Champion, Holloway, best fighter, McGregor
LW: Champion, McGregor, best fighter, Khabib
WW: Champion, Woodley, best fighter, GSP
MW: Champion, Bisping, best fighter, Rockhold/Mousasi
LHW: Champion, Cormeir, best fighter, Jones
HW: Champion, Miocic, best fighter, Velasquez

Last edited:
Back